Why become a member? ×

What are you listening to right now?

Sarah5string

They did some good stuff, usual stuff though, singer hooked on drugs a ‘bad fish’ is someone who knowingly gets someone else hooked. 
They were mostly ska/punk 

The singer died of a heroin overdose 

worth checking them out though 

• Thanks 1

Been playing a fair bit of While She Sleeps, for my money the best current rock band from the UK and the best metalcore band .

After that I've been winding down with Substrata by Biosphere, possibly the greatest album of ambient soundscapes

Edited by Barking Spiders

In February, prompted by Cliff Burton Day, I decided it was high time I filled in the big gap in my knowledge of 80s Metallica. The internet being how it is, I was soon persuaded to buy the first four Megadeth albums as well. Prior to this year, all I knew about Dave Mustaine was what the inlay to Kill 'Em All told me.

In the subsequent 3 months I have listened to virtually nothing else*. Right now, I'm listening to Peace Sells. Once it's done, I will have spent 100 hours** of this spring listening to these eight albums.

This is how the plays for each album have distributed themselves:

32 - Killing is my Business ...
30 - Peace Sells ...
28 - Rust in Peace
25 - Ride The Lightning
15 - So Far So Good ... 
  8 - ... And Justice For All 
  7 - Master of Puppets
  4 - Kill 'Em All

At my age of life you don't expect to fall in love all over again, but then I had no idea Dave Mustaine was waiting for me.

I need to post something for you to listen to, so here's a bass and drums only version of Bad Omen. From 0'55" it's very special.

*The only other music getting much of a look in is Mozart's "Haydn" set of 6 string quartets

**If we could pretend that some bit of software is doing the calculations automatically, that would do my self-esteem a world of good

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sarah5string said:

Today I'm listening through the covers setlist ahead of our band's first rehearsal on Friday night after a year of COVID lockdown WOOP

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0lPBVRfYKgkIraq6shhce9?si=9ebad735b3e748e7

Great rock set, I've only ever played 8 of those 26 with bands I've been in 🙂

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Fat Pop vol 1.

Weller's latest. Gorgeous. 

He was interviewed earlier on today on R5 Live - 
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000w4c3
I can't stand the toadying interviewer Nihal Arthanayake - "as the voice of a generation..." "as a rock icon..." - you can imagine Weller gritting is teeth but he's got to put the word out. I will be interested to hear it - he's a man of many influences and not afraid to put them in the blender as he sees fit.

3 minutes ago, lemonstar said:

He was interviewed earlier on today on R5 Live - 
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000w4c3
I can't stand the toadying interviewer Nihal Arthanayake - "as the voice of a generation..." "as a rock icon..." - you can imagine Weller gritting is teeth but he's got to put the word out. I will be interested to hear it - he's a man of many influences and not afraid to put them in the blender as he sees fit.

I feel he's a bit of a song machine. Restlessly writing what and how he likes (like my other 70s/80s hero Elvis Costello, but way more listenable) there are some great thoughtful tunes on this. 

Thanks for the link. 

1 minute ago, stewblack said:

I feel he's a bit of a song machine. Restlessly writing what and how he likes (like my other 70s/80s hero Elvis Costello, but way more listenable) there are some great thoughtful tunes on this. 

Thanks for the link. 

He was keen to mention On Sunset which he said he was very proud of (not heard it) and True Meanings which he never toured.