Why become a member? ×

What are you listening to right now?

Sarah5string

10 hours ago, bartelby said:

Love the Ataxia albums.

Frusciante’s solo/colab stuff is massively better than RHCP…

I've only just discovered Ataxia, really like it - just the sort of thing I'm digging at the moment

13 hours ago, Bunion said:

Bit of remix... 

It's odd how familiar I am with this one song; I think it got under my skin as a guy on BBC Berkshire played it virtually every day when he was wrapping things up at the end of his show.  I'll profess I haven't listened to another song by this band until about 20 minutes ago when I saw them mentioned on Spotify's release radar/new releases - I listened to a few minutes of the new album - the instrumental intro and I bailed out as soon as the singing started.  Shame.

So whaere did I go?  What is spinning at Johnson Towers?.  Bob Mould/Sugar mix.

14 hours ago, Bunion said:

Bit of remix... 

A lifetime ago I listened to If You Wait a lot - I quite like her voice although I can understand people not liking it (e.g. my wife hated it) but I really can't listen to what sounds to me like poor attempts to reproduce a sweet and sour vibe that Dido and Eminem created with Stan. 

2 hours ago, lemonstar said:

A lifetime ago I listened to If You Wait a lot - I quite like her voice although I can understand people not liking it (e.g. my wife hated it) but I really can't listen to what sounds to me like poor attempts to reproduce a sweet and sour vibe that Dido and Eminem created with Stan. 

That 'song' is utter bilge. I was thinking her voice is so-so, not the worst I've heard by any stretch but then an unlistenable grime type rap 'solo' comes in. There's much to dislike about modern pop but the rap spot in otherwise OK songs is the pits. I'm well into late 80s - mid 90s east coast and west coast hip hop but from what I've heard from Brit rappers I get why it's one-way traffic between the US and UK.

Edited by Barking Spiders

8 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

That 'song' is utter bilge. I was thinking her voice is so-so, not the worst I've heard by any stretch but then an unlistenable grime type rap 'solo' comes in. There's much to dislike about modern pop but the rap spot in otherwise OK songs is the pits. I'm well into late 80s - mid 90s east coast and west coast hip hop but from what I've heard from Brit rappers I get why it's one-way traffic between the US and UK

It’s good that music is still liked by some and hated by others it keeps the genres rolling, refreshing, and reinventing. 
Not understanding the language of modern music has been repeated through the ages. 
Personally I’m old enough to have gone through a number of them and while I don’t love some I don’t think I’ve ever thought any as “bilge.” They’re successful artists making good money, they’re doing something right.

I’m glad it had such a passionate effect on you, music should arouse feelings whatever they are. 
I too like hip-hop but comparing American influenced street music with British Grime is like comparing Buddy Holly and the Crickets to Black Sabbath, even if both styles have the word “Rock” in them and are guitar driven. 

Edited by Bunion

7 minutes ago, Bunion said:

It’s good that music is still liked by some and hated by others it keeps the genres rolling, refreshing, and reinventing. 

That’s the good thing about this thread, it’s what lots of different people are listening to, and at different times, and different ages,  I’ve heard some great tracks here that I would never otherwise have heard  🙂

• Like 2

After the Fretless Bass zoom thing last night I thought I'd give some Tony Franklin a listen, the guy seems pretty cool. 
I'm not sure you could get much more 80s sounding than this album. So not my thing, but the bass is great!

• Like 1