Why become a member? ×

What are you listening to right now?

Sarah5string

I've already mentioned elsewhere that I regularly practice with my imaginary Lazy Country Jazz band and have been composing a playlist. One song I looked at was 'Going Up The Country' by Canned Heat. 

Browsing Youtube I came across this: 

Remarkably similar sentiment & format!

• Like 2

On 23/04/2021 at 19:57, meterman said:

Mostly The Police.

Box set of their five albums on CD, all in neat looking card gatefold sleeves, with a sixth disc of B-sides and non-LP tracks.

€16 from the local supermarché. Had all the original LPs when I was a kid. “Zenyatta Mondatta” and “Synchronicity” still sound great to me. 
BEDE76CB-80D9-4722-A31A-62345888BC38.thumb.jpeg.8026d5c936cce3597e3f009ea3066668.jpeg

EB4E4C13-5B04-4227-989C-95D8C440A846.thumb.jpeg.adf4b12b9619075e19d857db6a4330eb.jpeg

I had a friend that worked for a top hi-fi shop in the 80's and I remember going with him to deliver and set up a system in a small stone barn with 2 floors - it wasn't a huge place - maybe 10m x 5m - he was showing off a pair of Linn Kan speakers - relatively small speakers but able to handle a lot of power. He used a couple of special audiophile vinyl pressings of Police albums - UHQR, heavy weight vinyl and/or half-speed masters - to show off how they handled the incredible punch and dynamics of Copelands percussion and Strings bass - the albums were Zenyatta and Ghost In the Machine - my friend made us all sit and listen in the dark and you could feel the drums and hear the stereoscopic effect so clearly - to this day I can't remember a more outstanding listening experience for volume, clarity and sheer detail (other than Tangerine Dream when I was at the front of the Dominion Theatre for the Logos tour) - the hi-fi system was an expesnsive one but the recordings are incredible. 

Edited by lemonstar
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, lemonstar said:

I had a friend that worked for a top hi-fi shop in the 80's and I remember going with him to deliver and set up a system in a small stone barn with 2 floors - it wasn't a huge place - maybe 10m x 5m - he was showing off a pair of Linn Kan speakers - relatively small speakers but able to handle a lot of power. He used a couple of special audiophile vinyl pressings of Police albums - UHQR, heavy weight vinyl and/or half-speed masters - to show off how they handled the incredible punch and dynamics of Copelands percussion and Strings bass - the albums were Zenyatta and Ghost In the Machine - my friend made us all sit and listen in the dark and you could feel the drums and hear the stereoscopic effect so clearly - to this day I can't remember a more outstanding listening experience for volume, clarity and sheer detail (other than Tangerine Dream when I was at the front of the Dominion Theatre for the Logos tour) - the hi-fi system was an expesnsive one but the recordings are incredible. 

Bet that sounded amazing! I had “Ghost In The Machine” on earlier, just with headphones on, and even allowing for my tinnitus and hearing loss it still sounds great to me. 👍

• Like 1

On 23/04/2021 at 19:57, meterman said:

Mostly The Police.

Box set of their five albums on CD, all in neat looking card gatefold sleeves, with a sixth disc of B-sides and non-LP tracks.

€16 from the local supermarché. Had all the original LPs when I was a kid. “Zenyatta Mondatta” and “Synchronicity” still sound great to me. 
BEDE76CB-80D9-4722-A31A-62345888BC38.thumb.jpeg.8026d5c936cce3597e3f009ea3066668.jpeg

EB4E4C13-5B04-4227-989C-95D8C440A846.thumb.jpeg.adf4b12b9619075e19d857db6a4330eb.jpeg

I've still got the first three on CD but haven't played them in at least 10 years. This reminds me to dig them out and give a spin. Zenyatta is 50% good but quite a bit of filler IMO. Never really cared much for Synchronicity.

• Like 1

On 24/04/2021 at 11:37, bartelby said:

Lots of bits of electronic music in a film about pioneering women in electronic music:

https://sisterswithtransistors.com

BBC 6Music Amy Lame show (4pm today) is based on Sisters with Transistors and features the maker of the film:

image.png.d61188e11d6138e29b0aef6493eebd21.png

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000vfl7

Available on catch up too of course.

• Like 2