Why become a member? ×

What are you listening to right now?

Sarah5string

On 28/02/2021 at 12:52, mike f said:

Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

They’ve decided to call it a day, and this news has inspired me to once again listen to what has become one of my favourite albums.

Likewise,  it's one of my favourite albums of all time. Not a fan of their other stuff particularly,  but that album is well worth the million dollars they spent on it!

Some of my favourite recorded bass of all time. Dave Richmond rocking out on the Burns Bison while Serge gets all whispery and  weird. There’s a great review of this album where (translated into English) the reviewer calls it, “music for middle aged perverts, by a middle aged pervert” which sort of nails it.

19 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

You heard any Modeselektor, which comprises the two guys here other than Sacha Ring, aka Apparat, on vocals?

Yup.  A friend let me hear them a few years ago (along with Aparat & Moderat).  They’re fantastic.

• Like 2

Been listening to a lot of Los Lobos recently.  Talk about a talented band - they aren't all about La Bamba!  It seems they can turn their hand to most styles just perfectly.  Here some gorgeous jazzy blues.

• Like 1

Nick Drake..

The Album, 5 leaves left..

Some fantastic double bass playing by bass legend Danny Thompson!!!

Just beautifu, ltuneful and melodic songs..Which I literally have not heard in years.. BRILLIANT. ala Paul Whitehouse in the fast show!!

👍👊👊👍👊😃😃

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wright/watt said:

Nick Drake..

The Album, 5 leaves left..

Some fantastic double bass playing by bass legend Danny Thompson!!!

Just beautifu, ltuneful and melodic songs..Which I literally have not heard in years.. BRILLIANT. ala Paul Whitehouse in the fast show!!

👍👊👊👍👊😃😃

Excellent suggestion.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Dukes Of Stratosphear - What In The World??...”

Side note: Over a decade ago I had a short lived p/t job selling instruments (the last time I did anything that resembled a real job really) and I met Colin Moulding / The Red Curtain. He was looking for “one of those old sixties Vox basses like Bill Wyman with all the buttons on it and the skinny necks”.

He was quite softly spoken and seemed actually a little shy, initially it wasn’t easy getting a conversation out of him, but we had a chat for a couple of minutes and he was super nice. He was polite and quietly friendly  and I was polite, and quietly awe-struck. I’d met plenty famous people before and rarely (if ever) been star struck, often it’s no big deal, they’re just other people.

But this was Colin Moulding! Of XTC! So I took his phone number and told him I would call him if a 1960s Vox bass came in. Before he left, I told him his playing was always amazing but especially on “What In The World??..” and he looked a bit bemused* but said, “Oh yeah, er, thanks” and that was it.

A few weeks later I’d found a 1960s Vox bass, possibly the Wyman model, but definitely with THE skinniest neck, so I phoned Mr. Moulding and told him. He sounded quite interested when I was telling him the details etc, so I was happy to be able to help out.

The Vox bass didn’t hang around long at all though. Pretty quickly I sold it either to Sébastien Tellier or his touring bassist, can’t remember which now, but they were super nice guys. Don’t know if Mr. Moulding ever found the Vox bass he was looking for, but anyway

*A few years later I was looking at the reissue of “25 O’Clock” and the notes for “What In The World??..” said the bass was by... eh.?? Sir John Johns..?? Andy flipping Partridge!! One of my favourite recorded bass parts ever! Darn. It was a bit like finding out your dad is actually your uncle, or something. No wonder CM looked bemused when I told him it was my favourite of all his playing 😂

In my defence, my default setting is “bit of a div” but I did feel embarrassed about it later. Andy flipping Partridge though!!!

And I still want an Epiphone Newport with batwing headstock. 😎

Edited by meterman
speling
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, meterman said:

*A few years later I was looking at the reissue of “25 O’Clock” and the notes for “What In The World??..” said the bass was by... eh.?? Sir John Johns..?? Andy flipping Partridge!! One of my favourite recorded bass parts ever! Darn. It was a bit like finding out your dad is actually your uncle, or something. No wonder CM looked bemused when I told him it was my favourite of all his playing 😂

I once shared a urinal with Noel Redding.

I am so glad I didn't complement him on the bassline to Hey Joe...

• Haha 1

The Quiet Life deluxe from Japan.  Honestly couldn't be assed in paying £50 for a box set, it's dropped onto digital formats today.

I'm a member of a couple of Japan Facebook groups, it's been amazing reading the comments there about this release. 

End of the day, I've got everything that's on it in one shape or form, even the bootleg of the 1980 audience recording that forms the second (albeit different) 'Live At Budokan' release from the band in the last six months, and folks, it is a bootleg recording and the quality is quite dreadful, but hey, if cassette recordings from nearly 40 years ago (oh, imagine the quality), where the surrounding screams of the female teen-Japanese audience is more prominent in the mix than the music ('Mickeeeeeeey', 'David-saaaaaaan') is your thing, then knock yourself out.