Why become a member? ×

What are you listening to right now?

Sarah5string

Yep, the mrs and teen daughters rip the p1$$ out of me as I've got a soft spot for Dua Lipa. I like the husky ish edge to her vocals and she comes across as very grounded and easygoing.  And then the tunes, which I generally enjoy leading off this vid with Levitating. Nice work from all concerned; DL, the guitar players and the ace harmony vocalists.

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Barking Spiders said:

Yep, the mrs and teen daughters rip the p1$$ out of me but I've got a soft spot for Dua Lipa. I like the husky ish edge to her vocals and she comes across as very grounded and easygoing.  And then the tunes, which I generally enjoy leading off this vid with Levitating. Nice work from all concerned; DL, the guitar players and the ace harmony vocalists.

To be fair that's a great album, very well produced with very catchy songs. I still marvel at the fact that it's all synth bass on don't start now. I would have bet a lot of money that it was real bass at the start... Good thing I'm not a betting man. 

18 hours ago, Crawford13 said:

To be fair that's a great album, very well produced with very catchy songs. I still marvel at the fact that it's all synth bass on don't start now. I would have bet a lot of money that it was real bass at the start... Good thing I'm not a betting man. 

It is at that but I actually prefer the more stripped back sound on this vid.  Also she's best on her own with backing singers. Her collaborations with others don't show her in the best light.  The version of Levitating here is mercifully shorn of the inappropriate nay cr@p rap in the middle of the studio version. I've heard too many potentially good pop songs ruined by rap solos. They've become as obligatory in pop as widdly guitar solos have long been in rock

Edited by Barking Spiders

22 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Loving this!

However, contains language many might find offensive... But you can't argue with the sentiment!

Love this. Traces of Jello Biafara, King Blues, Scroobius Pip. Absolutely brilliant. 

EDIT 

in fact.. 

Screenshot_20210208_133229_com.bandcamp.android.jpg

Edited by stewblack
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

As per a previous TBer's mention of her single (which also jumped out of the radio for me), and after her featured artist slot on R6 music. Downloaded the Albertine Sarges album. Have to hitch the phone via my Hi-fi but still comes over pretty well. Intelligent pop music with only a couple of duds (IMHO).

Single was "Free" earlier on in this thread per posts by @Nail Soup and @Old Man Riva.

Edited by JottoSW1
Link to the vid and original post contributors.
  • Like 1

I've been listening to Lita Ford's solo stuff from the Lita album. She's not the greatest singer, it all seems a bit cheesy now, and there's some pretty poor songs on the album, but: Back to the Cave, Kiss me Deadly, Falling in and out of love (I think Nikki Sixx Co wrote this? Not sure), and Close my Eyes Forever the duet with Ozzy... They're some cracking songs. 

My Mrs and I watched the film about the Runaways quite a while back and I was surprised how little Lita was in it, barely any dialogue, just someone angry with the main protagonists Joan Jett and Cherry every now and then. I knew of Lita Ford mainly through seeing a duet she had done with Lzzy Hale of Close my eyes forever. I went and got hold of the Lita album and am glad I did. No idea if any of it would "work" in an 80s covers band where you want the audience singing along to every song, don't know how big she was over here in the 80s? 

On 08/02/2021 at 13:16, stewblack said:

Whenever a song comes on in a book, I like to play it while I'm reading - helps create what the hip kids call an immersive experience.

Sometimes it's a corker 

One of my favourite songwriters - I have quite a few CD's of hers - but not this one - I've must have sung 7-8 of her songs at open mics. In recent years she has sounded more and more like she's "under the influence" of something - a bit like John Martyn the 3rd and last time I saw him - all the words sounded so slurred together. Her 3rd, self-titled album is one of the best albums I've heard but I like that simple singer-songwriter stuff you can do without a band.I might even have this disc but I don't remember the track. I always thought she had some great people in her live band.

• Like 1