Why become a member? ×

What are you listening to right now?

Sarah5string

This was released around the time I really started to learn the bass. Along with tracks like Roadrunner by The Modern Lovers and Spanish Stroll by Mink DeVille, the Wreckless Eric track was great to try and play along to. As I fumbled through it was the first song where I was aware of hearing/properly noticing a high bass noodle! - it blew my mind! (edited to say, I think Derek Forbes played a similar noodle on the intro to Simple Minds’ debut single Chelsea Girl - and what’s good enough for Mr Forbes..!)

Hearing this on the radio was a breath of fresh air...

Edited by Old Man Riva
  • Like 3

I found this band, Harts, by accident when looking for covers of Foxy Lady.  An unfeasibly talented Australian guitar player who, in other links, plays bass, drums, keys, does his own production etc etc.  Spent most of today listening to his stuff.  Bit Hendrix-y, bit Prince-y, but also just Harts-y.  Don't think a Squier Strat has ever sounded so cool :) 

Edited by Paul S

1 hour ago, Frank Blank said:

Yes.

Ah yes I think I recall you saying you did.  Are you also a bit partial to stuff that came out on the Mo Wax, Pork and Ninja tune labels back between the early 90s and mid 2000's.  Dont think Ninja tune is quite as good nowadays, not since acts like The Herbaliser, Funki Porcini, 9 Lazy 9, Up Bustle & Out and Hexstatic  were there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

I'm having to do work today so have got this playing in the background

Any others here partial to BoC and Warp type electronica in general? A bit of Autechre? Black Dog, Plaid, FSOL mebbe? 

Boards Of Canada are one of my all-time favourites. “Music Has The Right To Children” was a revelation when it came out. I had a summer job in Tower Records when it was released and it stopped me in my tracks when it came on over the sound system. Stopped a few of us actually, we were looking at each other like, “Did you hear that???”.

Still blows me away when I listen to it now 👍

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Ah yes I think I recall you saying you did.  Are you also a bit partial to stuff that came out on the Mo Wax, Pork and Ninja tune labels back between the early 90s and mid 2000's.  Dont think Ninja tune is quite as good nowadays, not since acts like The Herbaliser, Funki Porcini, 9 Lazy 9, Up Bustle & Out and Hexstatic  were there.

I do love Hexstatic and The Herbaliser.

18 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Ah man, just discover a great band I hadn't known and the film starts with the guy's funeral. 😥

First saw that song just before his death. 

Docu is good, but not great. 

But a really interesting story.