Why become a member? ×

What are you listening to right now?

Sarah5string

Just listened to Tubeway Army's "Replicas" album. It was featured in full in a 6music show.

I bought it when it came out, but not listened to it much since really. I usually think of Gary as a great innovator with a few great singles.... but actually was pleased t osee the album stills folds up really well.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

I'd love to be young enough to say that a Youtube post was my favourite as a kid!

I'm nearly 55 and YouTube is the only place I can find that particular version. Well, when I'm full of beer, it's a lot easier than trying to find it in my libraries. :)

Replicas is a great album. I got that when it first came out as well. Love their first album too. Funnily enough, I don't listen to them much either. I missed them play a couple of years ago but a mate of mine went and maintains it was the best gig he had ever been to.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

Just listened to Tubeway Army's "Replicas" album. It was featured in full in a 6music show.

I bought it when it came out, but not listened to it much since really. I usually think of Gary as a great innovator with a few great singles.... but actually was pleased t osee the album stills folds up really well.

Was a fan then. Still a fan. His latest album is excellent!

• Like 2

Inspired by Lord Soup of County Gaye Advert and his Gary Numan post I’ve just had a (re)listen to this by Robert Palmer. It’s a cover of a Gary Numan track (Numan is on keys and his bassist, Paul Gardiner, also plays on the track).

I’m a big fan of Robert Palmer and loved this album when it was released in 1980, especially as it contained this superb left-field cover...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

38 minutes ago, TheMaartian said:

Was a fan then. Still a fan. His latest album is excellent!

I’m a big fan of the first three albums equally but I do love love the opening track of Tubeway Army’s first album. I used to have a bikers jacket with the Crass symbol on one sleeve and the Tubeway Army face on the other, thought I was thoroughly original man about town until I took a stroll up the Kings Road one afternoon and saw seven, yes seven biker jackets with Crass/Numan painted variants. I sulked off home and listened to Dirk Wears White Sox.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

I used to have a bikers jacket with the Crass symbol on one sleeve and the Tubeway Army face on the other, thought I was thoroughly original man about town until I took a stroll up the Kings Road one afternoon and saw seven, yes seven biker jackets with Crass/Numan painted variants. I sulked off home and listened to Dirk Wears White Sox.

I remember that Adam and the Ants was the other popular jacket painting. I remember seeing it loads of jackets at gigs etc, but before I had the chance to hear DWWS they had charted with the Antmusic version of the band, and the previous line up had become the basis of Bow Wow Wow.

• Like 2

On 07/12/2020 at 22:08, Nail Soup said:

I remember that Adam and the Ants was the other popular jacket painting. I remember seeing it loads of jackets at gigs etc, but before I had the chance to hear DWWS they had charted with the Antmusic version of the band, and the previous line up had become the basis of Bow Wow Wow.

I was lucky enough to attend many, many, Adam Ant gigs right from very early through to my last one on the Prince Charming tour. I’ve seen a couple of the more recent ones too. I was lucky enough to see Bow Wow Wow just the once at the Zig Zag Club on the 16th Nov 81 which makes me feel very old indeed.

Edited by Frank Blank
  • Like 2

On 03/12/2020 at 21:34, Old Man Riva said:

At last I know who it is! I remember this song from my then-girlfriend but forgot the name (of the artist, not the girlfriend!) 35 years or so ago. 

In the last few years I tried looking for Nina Hagen (I knew the artist was a German contempory of Nina) on YouTube then listening to the suggested tracks in the sidebar. To no avail.

But now you've solved it, so thanks!

18 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

The Ant Music for Sex People logo was a constituent of my O-level art portfolio. I got an A 😎

• Like 2