Why become a member? ×

What are you listening to right now?

Sarah5string

3 hours ago, Old Man Riva said:

Funnily enough one of the people I went to the gig was a guitarist who did the same!

He was/is an accomplished player himself, though more rooted in blues/rock etc. He couldn’t get over how Geordie was getting the sound he did, especially with seemingly so little effort!

I also think they are one of the most effortlessly cool bands I’ve seen - nothing contrived about them, and everything on their own terms (I’m sure they would have had their label challenges/input, but that’s how it seemed, at any road)...

Not many musicians I'd say have effortless cool but Geordie had it. Cool as fvck

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

I don’t know about you but there’s nothing I like better than finishing off a bust Thursday by watching Toyah chip courgettes while Robert Fripp plays the riff from Frame-by-Frame...

I kind of worry how many people go for a dinner party with Bob and Toyah and are never seen again...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

I don’t know about you but there’s nothing I like better than finishing off a bust Thursday by watching Toyah chip courgettes while Robert Fripp plays the riff from Frame-by-Frame...

You couldn't dream this stuff up. Brilliant. As always.

• Haha 1

On 20/11/2020 at 15:54, NancyJohnson said:

I've been taking in UFOs 'Strangers In The Night' superdeluxe.  God, it's brilliant.

Been listening to a lot of it (there’s a lot of music on there!) and some of the performances are superb. The whole band are right on it, but Mogg takes it to another level.

Really makes me wonder just how big they could have been had Schenker stayed and they’d built on the foundations of SITN...

On 14/11/2020 at 14:03, Old Man Riva said:

Mrs Riva was thankful, but nonchalantly informed me, “oh yeah, I’ve heard that”. Apparently Lauren Laverne plays it on her 6Music show.

Update: I've actually heard the Albertine Sarges track quite a few times now on 6Music................... so Mrs Riva:  ner-ner-ner-ner-ner 😄.

9 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

Update: I've actually heard the Albertine Sarges track quite a few times now on 6Music................... so Mrs Riva:  ner-ner-ner-ner-ner 😄.

Mrs Riva feels suitable admonished. 

She now tells me that she’s listening to Peruvian techno-metal indie releases from 2021, but only those that quote Rimbaud (translated from French to German to Spanish to Quechua and/or Aymara), in an oblique way or not at all.

Either that or X-Ray Spex...

Edited by Old Man Riva
  • Like 1

First time I heard of Balkan Beat Boz was when they were on the bill at Wychwood 2007, for me by far the best Wychwood festival to date. Checked them out and they were different to anything else a strange mix of hip hop, Balkan folk music, gypsy punk, reggae, klezmer. The nearest comparison is Gogol Bordello. Jut been plating their 4 albums back to back. If anyone here's played FIFA 17 you'll have heard this