Why become a member? ×

What are you listening to right now?

Sarah5string

18 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

I dislike live videos usually, almost never watch more than a couple of songs but watched this in it’s entirety and thoroughly enjoyed every minute, and the bass player plays a Sandberg model that I’ve just bought. Cracking show.

Saw Rammstein last year at the MK Stadium. Best live gig I've been to by several country miles. Even mrs S who knows little about them had a really good time.  Much of it was utterly bonkers and all the better for it, like the giant demon baby in a pram with the flies.

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Barking Spiders said:

And to another band infamous for being a tad unhinged and scaring music journos, as were Jaz Colman's eyebrows.

Tried to sneak into this recording prior to their gig in Newcastle that evening but was a bit pïssëd. The usual method, which was via a bog window aided by Raven, oh well.

• Like 1

Music to cook to... a playlist of some of my favourite TV and movie themes. Just had the Battle of Britain theme, before that was Adagio of Spartacus and Phrygia (Onedin Line, squire), coming up I've got Chi Mai and Morse and St Elsewhere and Luther and the Bullitt suite and looooads more. 

8 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

And to another band infamous for being a tad unhinged and scaring music journos, as were Jaz Colman's eyebrows.

Great clip. Also remember them being on The Tube and ripping into Paul King (not sure if it was this episode or not as they did Eighties on an earlier show).

Saw them at Lanchester Polytechnic in Cov on this tour and to this day it is the most intense and ‘electric’ gig I’ve ever seen. Geordie’s guitar sound was immense.

It took me about a fortnight to get over it, and I was only standing at the back!

Such a good band...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Old Man Riva said:

Saw them at Lanchester Polytechnic in Cov on this tour and to this day it is the most intense and ‘electric’ gig I’ve ever seen. Geordie’s guitar sound was immense.

It took me about a fortnight to get over it, and I was only standing at the back!

Such a good band...

I think this was the last tour that Geordie used his Burman amps, he never again got that immense sound after they broke down.

1 hour ago, Frank Blank said:

I think this was the last tour that Geordie used his Burman amps, he never again got that immense sound after they broke down.

Geordie's often a player I give as an example when I say a recognisable guitar style /tone beats anonymous by rote shredding hands down. His sound on Pandemonium is skull crushing. Ha bet the TOTP audience didnt know what hit them then this came on

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Geordie's often a player I give as an example when I say a recognisable guitar style /tone beats anonymous by rote shredding hands down. His sound on Pandemonium is skull crushing. Ha bet the TOTP audience didnt know what hit them then this came on

When I saw them/him live it wasn’t so much the volume but the actual vastness of the sound - it was absolutely huge. It swarmed every inch of the venue. Backed by the driving rhythm section it was an incredible experience, and not one I’ve experienced since.

And all played with the lightest of touches and minimum of fuss...

4 minutes ago, Old Man Riva said:

When I saw them/him live it wasn’t so much the volume but the actual vastness of the sound - it was absolutely huge. It swarmed every inch of the venue. Backed by the driving rhythm section it was an incredible experience, and not one I’ve experienced since.

And all played with the lightest of touches and minimum of fuss...

It used to be very interesting in their heyday to look into the crowd in front of Geordie/in the dressing room after and see various guitarists from bands trying to suss out/discuss his playing.

Funnily enough one of the people I went to the gig was a guitarist who did the same!

He was/is an accomplished player himself, though more rooted in blues/rock etc. He couldn’t get over how Geordie was getting the sound he did, especially with seemingly so little effort!

I also think they are one of the most effortlessly cool bands I’ve seen - nothing contrived about them, and everything on their own terms (I’m sure they would have had their label challenges/input, but that’s how it seemed, at any road)...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Frank Blank said:

It used to be very interesting in their heyday to look into the crowd in front of Geordie/in the dressing room after and see various guitarists from bands trying to suss out/discuss his playing.

I remember going to see a band in the Wolverhampton civic, years back. Just before the main band came on the floor started to vibrate and the hall was filled with a low rumble. Me and my mates looked at each other in confusion. The band came on and you could still feel this other vibration. After the first song a mate went to the loo, he came back saying he could hear some Killing Joke from somewhere.

The penny dropped, Killing Joke were playing in the room under the Civic. So we abandoned the gig we’d gone to and went to see KJ.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, bartelby said:

This arrived today:

4ED999D1-E868-4C88-8126-4A7D815E7EA0.thumb.jpeg.c8d302d8c47133ed553c38680cc0cb75.jpeg

A true master piece, both Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 of "Musick to Play in the Dark"

Especially the track "Where Are You?" range among my absolute all time favorite tracks of all music, so astonishing dark and heart-wrenchingly beautiful.

And overall Coil happens to be one of my absolute favorite bands, probably even among my 2 most favorite bands, the other being Low.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 2