Why become a member? ×

What are you listening to right now?

Sarah5string

10 hours ago, BreadBin said:

I could go on, but the video has it all and more.

I have to admit that my reaction to Nautilus (the starting piece) was the same as the drummer in the corner initially adopted. I enjoyed the others though.

Maybe it's just too early in the morning for slow-build tracks 😉

39 minutes ago, Richard R said:

I have to admit that my reaction to Nautilus (the starting piece) was the same as the drummer in the corner initially adopted. I enjoyed the others though.

Maybe it's just too early in the morning for slow-build tracks 😉

I just love how it's in a state of constant tension, building to a tremendous climax.

On 23/09/2020 at 14:15, NancyJohnson said:

UFO today.  News of the upcoming Strangers 8CD boxset made my heart jump.  What a band.

I saw that. All the recorded gigs for the album - and neither Mother Mary or This Kids appear on the set lists!

There was talk once upon a time that the studio sessions for the two tracks would be part of any deluxe release but that looks like it’s fallen by the wayside.

Schenker’s big gripe with the album (and allegedly the final tipping point for his departure) is the version that Ron Nevison and the band chose of Rock Bottom (“poor Rock Bottom”) so we’ll now get to hear the other options!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Old Man Riva said:

I saw that. All the recorded gigs for the album - and neither Mother Mary or This Kids appear on the set lists!

These were studio recordings with audience added.  Apparently they weren't actually the headline band when they recorded Strangers... Allegedly supporting Rush!  The audacity!

30 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

These were studio recordings with audience added.  Apparently they weren't actually the headline band when they recorded Strangers... Allegedly supporting Rush!  The audacity!

I never really minded that the two tracks weren’t actually from the shows. Seems odd to think about it now!

Yes, around that time they were sharing the bill with some really good bands - along with Rush they (co?) headlined with Cheap Trick, which is a gig that I would have loved to have seen.

There’s been a fair bit of shenanigans with live albums over the years - someone once told me (and I have no reason to doubt them given how close they were to the project!) that most of the crowd noise on Live and Dangerous is actually from live Bowie recordings/gigs - obviously not the bit where they’re chanting “Lizzy”! 

On 23/09/2020 at 20:55, BreadBin said:

Anna Meredith.

14 hours ago, Richard R said:

I have to admit that my reaction to Nautilus (the starting piece) was the same as the drummer in the corner initially adopted

That first piece reminded me of this obscure classic: Athletico Spizz 80 - Clocks Are Big

Edited by Nail Soup
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Old Man Riva said:

I never really minded that the two tracks weren’t actually from the shows. Seems odd to think about it now!

Both tracks were recorded on a day off on the tour at the request of Producer Ron Nevison, they set up their gear in the studio (Record Plant West) and blasted through them.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, pst62 said:

Both tracks were recorded on a day off on the tour at the request of Producer Ron Nevison, they set up their gear in the studio (Record Plant West) and blasted through them.

They’re stunning versions. A band right on top of their game.

Do you know if they recorded other tracks? I have it in my head that they recorded more than the two mentioned above, but that may just be wishful thinking! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Old Man Riva said:

Schenker’s big gripe with the album (and allegedly the final tipping point for his departure) is the version that Ron Nevison and the band chose of Rock Bottom (“poor Rock Bottom”) so we’ll now get to hear the other options!

Schenker played his last gig on the tour on 29th October 1978. He announced his intention to leave but hung around for the mixing of Strangers, his gripe with Rock Bottom is that the solo is spliced everything after 6:34 is from Cleveland, the first half isn't Chicago, I have the bootleg and it's not the same at all. also there was the B-side of the Doctor Doctor Live EP which featured a Live version of On With The Action, which IMHO should have graced the expanded version. That was recorded at The Gardens in Kentucky.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Old Man Riva said:

They’re stunning versions. A band right on top of their game.

Do you know if they recorded other tracks? I have it in my head that they recorded more than the two mentioned above, but that may just be wishful thinking! 

No mate, but I found out that there was two studio tracks on there, courtesy of a very inebriated Paul Chapman, though he wouldn't say which ones.

4 minutes ago, pst62 said:

Schenker played his last gig on the tour on 29th October 1978. He announced his intention to leave but hung around for the mixing of Strangers, his gripe with Rock Bottom is that the solo is spliced everything after 6:34 is from Cleveland, the first half isn't Chicago, I have the bootleg and it's not the same at all. also there was the B-side of the Doctor Doctor Live EP which featured a Live version of On With The Action, which IMHO should have graced the expanded version. That was recorded at The Gardens in Kentucky.

That’s great info! Hadn’t realised the full Rock Bottom story - I’ll check out the 6:34 point!

I always assumed it was the choice of gig rather than such a detailed gripe that Schenker had. I imagine Nevison would have had his work cut out keeping everyone happy.

Agree with On With the Action. The live version on the EP is such a good version.

On a (semi) related note, I’ve been obsessing with the two Thunderbirds currently on Andy Baxter’s site (not able to post a link). Definitely couldn’t afford one but it’s great to window shop! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Man Riva said:

On a (semi) related note, I’ve been obsessing with the two Thunderbirds currently on Andy Baxter’s site (not able to post a link). Definitely couldn’t afford one but it’s great to window shop! 

Yeah two lovely rare specimens there, esp the Blackie. no Headstock repairs on either too.