Why become a member? ×

What are you listening to right now?

Sarah5string

Played this ‘Album’ this morning for the first time in years.

Much derided by the Lydon purists when it came out (1986), but I absolutely loved it.

It was the first time I’d heard Steve Vai, so that was a bit of an eye opener.

(It was produced by Bill Laswell, who produced the Sly & Robbie album Language Barrier from a year earlier that I also loved at the time)

Again, it just felt completely different to anything else around at the time...

If you’re not aware of Album then it’s definitely worth a listen, and if you are aware but haven’t visited it in a while, then it’s definitely worth going back to!

Take it away, John..! 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Old Man Riva said:

Played this ‘Album’ this morning for the first time in years.

Much derided by the Lydon purists when it came out (1986), but I absolutely loved it.

It was the first time I’d heard Steve Vai, so that was a bit of an eye opener.

(It was produced by Bill Laswell, who produced the Sly & Robbie album Language Barrier from a year earlier that I also loved at the time)

Again, it just felt completely different to anything else around at the time...

If you’re not aware of Album then it’s definitely worth a listen, and if you are aware but haven’t visited it in a while, then it’s definitely worth going back to!

Take it away, John..! 

Superb album. Not (IMHO) as good as Metal Box or The Flowers of Romance but a cracker nonetheless. Ginger Baker, Ryuichi Sakamoto, all sorts of people on this record. It was recorded just before John McGeoch joined in the same year, which is a shame as I love his guitar playing.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Old Man Riva said:

Love it. 'Rise' is one of my all-time favourites. And the album's final track 'Ease' has some great work from Baker and Vai. Lydon's a very divisive character but when he's in this mood the results are quality.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Cruising through Wanstead listening to this classic bassline 

Now i'm dancing around the living room in Southend! I'm sure* we've made this same Third World transaction before on this thread and I'm already looking forward to the next time!

*as sure as I am that at 0:40 on Now That We've Found Love he sings Make that a shït, make that a shït, make that a shït, make that a shït, make that a shït, shït, shït, shït, all over the place I say and later on he's going to spread it all over the land, marvellous. Still, it does contain the greatest lyric ever written at 1:12...

I said music, whoooah, yeaaaah.

Edited by Frank Blank
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Frank Blank said:

I'm sure* we've made this same Third World transaction before on this thread and I'm already looking forward to the next time!

We have indeed frank, it’s just one of those tunes that’s great to hear now and again, and you always come back with the classic Cool Meditation , one of my favourites 👍

im sure he sings, make natty shook, which I believe is slang for shake , but it could be, make that a stinky poo, you never know 😁

• Haha 2