Why become a member? ×

What are you listening to right now?

Sarah5string

1 minute ago, Nothingman said:

Think we are going to try a sneaky cover tonight at practice. 

We’ve actually taken some inspiration for name ideas for our new project from a couple of the dong titles. 

Our WhatsApp group is a hive of activity today! 

Brilliant ! What are you covering ? I'm sure my old band did a couple, but this is the one that sticks in the mind

"Pass me that paisley horsehair shirt"

Priceless :)

Edited by ahpook

6 minutes ago, ahpook said:

Brilliant ! What are you covering ? I'm sure my old band did a couple, but this is the one that sticks in the mind

"Pass me that paisley horsehair shirt"

Priceless :)

Not decided. My mate is currently nailing He Be A Diamond purely as Fannies did it. So much to go from. 

10 hours ago, Nothingman said:

one of my bandmates decided to announce that he discovered the work of The Bevis Frond

Always tricky when you discover a band with a massive back catalogue!

Sorry.......I can't recommend a starting point, although I've been aware of the band for many years.

But the band is the brainchild of a guy called Nick Salmon (or something similar)who has been very successful as a contestant on the TV show Countdown

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

Always tricky when you discover a band with a massive back catalogue!

Sorry.......I can't recommend a starting point, although I've been aware of the band for many years.

But the band is the brainchild of a guy called Nick Salmon (or something similar)who has been very successful as a contestant on the TV show Countdown

Yeah read that about countdown. 

Nick seems like a proper good guy. 

This week I have absolutely smashed my way through New River Head, Vavona Burr, We're Your Friends, Man, Tryptytch, Any Gas Faster and London Stone. 

I've faintly heard of Bevis Frond but I'll have to look them up on YT. Hearing about an unfamiliar band and the endless search for new music made me think of a website I haven't been on in a while; it's an odd site created by a guy I've followed for a while - he's done some interesting projects/website - some of which he has decided to close to avoid having to maintain them so he can focus on new projects - I constantly forget the name of this site - it's www.gnod.com ( I think that's General Network of Discovery or something to that effect) - it's really a jump off point for several "discovery" sites that all use the same underlying  technology - sites for discovering music, authors/books, artists -

for the music site - one part - Project 1 (https://www.gnoosic.com/) relies on users entering the names of several bands that they like - it then makes recommendations based on bands/artists submitted by other users.

The other part of the site - Project 2 (https://www.music-map.com/) simply enables you to enter the name of a band/artist and it displays a map - with the names of other bands/artists clustered around the one you enter - proximity should give some indication of how strongly they are linked by users liking the same bands.

He also made the product comparison sites:
https://www.productchart.com/

FYI The creator of these sites is https://twitter.com/marekgibney

I've been listening to some King Crimson on YT and was surprised and incredibly impressed to hear a live version of Starless from 2016! It has not lost any of it's emotional strength - it's still an incredible piece imho.

Edited by lemonstar
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, lemonstar said:

I've been listening to some King Crimson on YT and was surprised and incredibly impressed to hear a live version of Starless from 2016! It has not lost any of it's emotional strength - it's still an incredible piece imho.

I'm sure they were p-laying Starless in Morrisons the other day - unless someone has sampled it heavily for a pop song...

On 05/09/2020 at 15:38, Stub Mandrel said:

I'm sure they were p-laying Starless in Morrisons the other day - unless someone has sampled it heavily for a pop song...

Morrison’s in Loughton often play the most unlikely tracks (e.g. Joni Mitchell, John Martyn, Weather Report) in amongst the more Top 40 stuff...

• Like 1

On 05/09/2020 at 15:38, Stub Mandrel said:

That would be surprising but truth is sometimes stranger than fiction... for instance. on the wiki page for The Scaffold song "Lilly The Pink" I was looking at today (long story how I came to be on this page) it says:-
"Backing vocalists on the recording included Graham Nash (of The Hollies), Elton John (then Reg Dwight), and Tim Rice while Jack Bruce (of Cream) played the bass guitar"

So... you could be right I guess.

15 hours ago, lemonstar said:

That would be surprising but truth is sometimes stranger than fiction... for instance. on the wiki page for The Scaffold song "Lilly The Pink" I was looking at today (long story how I came to be on this page) it says:-
"Backing vocalists on the recording included Graham Nash (of The Hollies), Elton John (then Reg Dwight), and Tim Rice while Jack Bruce (of Cream) played the bass guitar"

So... you could be right I guess.

Morrisons does tend to play a 'classic rock/pop' playlist

3 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

Are we talking strictly music or films too?

The man is one-of-a-kind. I've seen most of his films. There are some films, Naked Lunch included, that are terrific films, but hard to watch.

I want to see if his music is the same...well crafted, but not something I'd want to cover.