Why become a member? ×

What are you listening to right now?

Sarah5string

After yesterday's Hollerado burn-through, today it's...Ludo.  They're a bonkerswonderful four piece pop/punk band from Missouri.

While this is just a hewn together fan video, it is a great genre spanning piece, spanning light opera through to full on heavy metal, via some yo-ho-ho sea shanties.  Give it five minutes of your time.

If you want to channel some Christmas goodness:

Edited by NancyJohnson
speling
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

Was the book Get In The Van?

No, it was Before The Chop III. I've made a massive list of bands from that one book to check out. Get In The Van is certainly on my list of books to get though! 🙂

• Like 1

The title track from Robert Pamer’s first solo album. Features the Meters on half of the album (inc. George Porter Jnr on this track) and NY players on the rest (inc Bernard Purdie).

I really like his first record (and most of his albums up to his MTV period). It grooves like a good un. There are some good covers on there - Sailin’ Shoes, Sneaking Sally, and From a Whisper to a Scream - where he really delivers. I’m a big fan of his voice.

Speaking of ‘From a Whisper...’, for me the definitive version of that (written by Allen Toussaint) is by Esther Philips, which I’ve posted below.

There’s some lovely bass playing on both of these tracks... Enjoy!

Edited by Old Man Riva
I must learn to spell ‘Purdie’ correctly!

I’ve turned the clock back 34 years (where did they go?) and luxuriating in the wonderful fretless work of Bakithi Kumalo on Graceland. Paul Simon may be a bit painful as a person, but man he can write a tune, enunciate better anyone whilst singing (IMO) and pick great musicians.

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 1