Why become a member? ×

What are you listening to right now?

Sarah5string

Madonna's 'Like A Prayer' album. I was about to refer to it as a guilty pleasure, but it's really not. It's easy to write Madge off as a bubblegum merchant, but this is a properly superb album with excellent songs, very well performed and exquisitely producer-polished. 

3 minutes ago, Rich said:

Madonna's 'Like A Prayer' album. I was about to refer to it as a guilty pleasure, but it's really not. It's easy to write Madge off as a bubblegum merchant, but this is a properly superb album with excellent songs, very well performed and exquisitely producer-polished. 

Absolutely.

4 minutes ago, Rich said:

Fabulous album.

For me, her early career - probably up to Like a Prayer - is one great big brilliant pop record after another.

I still think Holiday is one of finest pop records of the 80s or any other decade... 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Old Man Riva said:

I still think Holiday is one of finest pop records of the 80s or any other decade... 

For me, it's Cherish from Like A Prayer. Very nearly the perfect pop song. I always end up singing my heart out to it.

Anyhow, back to business.  This morning I'm listening to the wonderful, albeit now sadly defunkt Canadian band, Hollerado.  I love that there's this supposed backstory that they won some money in a battle of the bands competition and spent in on this video. 

They did a handful of albums although the commercial disaster of 111 Songs, which pretty much stopped them dead in the water for over two years, pretty much finished them off...clue's in the title folks.

When they did the first album (Record In A Bag), if you ordered direct, it came in a little ziplock bag containing with confetti, sweets, nonsense:

R-2325863-1277073832.jpeg.jpg

When they did their second (White Paint), they allegedly hated the artwork and painted over every cover with trade white paint:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Anyhow, back to business.  This morning I'm listening to the wonderful, albeit now sadly defunkt Canadian band, Hollerado.  I love that there's this supposed backstory that they won some money in a battle of the bands competition and spent in on this video. 

This is brilliant, it reminds me of videos by OK GO, the first of which, Here It Goes Again, is still my favourite...

20 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

This is brilliant, it reminds me of videos by OK GO, the first of which, Here It Goes Again, is still my favourite...

While I profess I adored the first OKGO! album, the second (well, for me at least) really suffered Stacy's Mom syndrome...without the video for HIGA, very few people outside their immediate fanbase would have been any the wiser of their existence.  Reckon they will be forever haunted by the ghost of that treadmill video, so much so I think (from memory) they didn't really shake the whole choreographed video thing, trying to be more and more eloborate with every consecutive video. 

Really suprised to just read that they haven't released anything for six years!

Just now, NancyJohnson said:

While I profess I adored the first OKGO! album, the second (well, for me at least) really suffered Stacy's Mom syndrome...without the video for HIGA, very few people outside their immediate fanbase would have been any the wiser of their existence.  Reckon they will be forever haunted by the ghost of that treadmill video, so much so I think (from memory) they didn't really shake the whole choreographed video thing, trying to be more and more elaborate with every consecutive video. 

Really surprised to just read that they haven't released anything for six years!

I have never listened to an album by them, only watched the videos!

18 hours ago, Old Man Riva said:

Can’t get enough of Alex and the gang at the moment...

Funnily enough I've been listening to this a lot lately, too.  Drummer mate of mine wants to record it.  I mentioned to him a few days ago when he was wanted to do the recording and he said 'Midnight Moses, not Amos Moses.  Pay attention at the back! ' 😁

7 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

They did a handful of albums although the commercial disaster of 111 Songs, which pretty much stopped them dead in the water for over two years, pretty much finished them off...clue's in the title folks.

When they did the first album (Record In A Bag), if you ordered direct, it came in a little ziplock bag containing with confetti, sweets, nonsense:

R-2325863-1277073832.jpeg.jpg

When they did their second (White Paint), they allegedly hated the artwork and painted over every cover with trade white paint:

Love the bass tab in the video!

One of those days when every piece of music I play disappoints, depresses or irritates me - obviously it's me - like when you lose your sense of smell and taste when you are under the weather - except we don't have a specific that applies only to losing the ability to enjoy music.

1 hour ago, lemonstar said:

One of those days when every piece of music I play disappoints, depresses or irritates me - obviously it's me - like when you lose your sense of smell and taste when you are under the weather - except we don't have a specific that applies only to losing the ability to enjoy music.

Some days are like that, but tomorrow will be different... 

1 hour ago, lemonstar said:

Just posted this in another thread. It'll either make things better or worse........

• Thanks 2