Why become a member? ×

What are you listening to right now?

Sarah5string

This recent talk of Rush... Had 2112 and Moving pictures on CD for ages... orderd Signals and Grace under pressure on CD from amazon to replace the vinyl up in the loft...

Saw them at Wembly Arena back in 83... Signals Tour...

@mikebass456 Jacob's Ladder - sending good vibes and bass tremours to you and ya brother...

Edited by PaulThePlug

1 hour ago, mikebass456 said:

The first time I heard Rush - courtesy of my younger brother back in 1980. He died 2 weeks ago, it would have been his 52nd birthday today, so this is currently getting played at full volume.......

Sorry for your loss, that is a good way to remember someone.

Week two of my A-Z round the world trip from the music on my phone while out walking...feels a lot more cheatier than the first week

G = Kanonen Auf Spatzen by Beatsteaks - Germany

H = Schizo by Heideroosjes (or De Heideroosjes according to iTunes, but nobody else) - Holland (*)

I = Live From Concrete by Kerbdog - Ireland

J = OSC-DIS by The Mad Capsule Markets - Japan

K = The Greatest Show On Earth by Nightwish - Kenya (**)

L = Same As It Ever Was by House Of Pain - Latvia (***)

M = Nonsuch by XTC - Malta (*x*)

N = Churn by Shihad - New Zealand

O = Live at Brixton Academy September 1996 (Bootleg) by Soundgarden - Okinawa (*xx*)

(*) OK, first cheat, I know that Holland isn't really a country, but it is what we poorly educated Brits usually call the Netherlands, so I'm sticking to it.  Had I been stuck for a "D" I would have been totally happy using them as "Dutch" too

(**) This one takes a bit of explaining so get comfortable and I'll begin.  This track includes a reading from his book of the same name by Richard Dawkins, who was born in Nairobi, which is plenty Kenyan for the purposes of this exercise.  However, this is still a cheat because I don't actually own it - I do not enjoy the musical stylings of Nightwish, and to make it worse the track is over 20 minutes long.  So it was YouTubed as i was walking, and I only stuck with it until Dawkins does his reading (possibly he does this more than once, but him finishing was my cue to skip to the next selection)

(***) Don't look at me like that, it's totally valid, DJ Lethal was born and raised in Latvia, so there.  Totally Latvian.  The only objection I will concede is that it was actually part of the USSR when he was born...moving on....

(*x*) Malta, birthplace of Andy Partridge.  Totally works.  Also stopped me having to play an album by a not very good Malaysian punk band which was the only other contender for "M"

(*xx*) I'll give you this one, it's a total cheat, what with Okinawa not being a country.  Trouble is, the only country that begins with "O" is Oman and I don't own anything by any musicians even remotely connected to Oman.  So my hastily made up sub clause is that in these circumstances I can use an island rather than a country, hence Okinawa, which is where Ben Shepherd, bass player of Soundgarden, was born. Bonus points for using a bass player to justify the cheat

Edited by Monkey Steve

Today I've been on a country music guitar binge and one thing I conclude is that every one of the 42 I've been listening too - from Merle Travis and Joe Maphis - to Danny Gatton and Albert Lee wipe the floor with any rock guitar player I've heard. This guy though might just be the best of the lot. The video quality isn't great but you can get the gist

38 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Today I've been on a country music guitar binge and one thing I conclude is that every one of the 42 I've been listening too - from Merle Travis and Joe Maphis - to Danny Gatton and Albert Lee wipe the floor with any rock guitar player I've heard. This guy though might just be the best of the lot. The video quality isn't great but you can get the gist

Country music, such a tragic waste of talent 😁

• Like 1