Why become a member? ×

What are you listening to right now?

Sarah5string

18 hours ago, TheMaartian said:

I know. Mine have been gone for 15 years. But here are a couple of current examples (note that those in the Art Institute shop are generally NOT one-offs like I had). Mine were more interesting than these, but you'll get a basic idea.

274217.jpg

275444.jpg

282836.jpg

282834.jpg

113419.jpg

Ohhhhh you had to didn't you?!! 🤤

9 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

As would I but mrs S and her two kids wouldn't be able to handle the higher summer temperatures and mozzies.  When I was at university used to spend a lot of time in the islands working in tavernas during the summer hols. Great times.

Oh that sounds ace, I've never visited the islands. I've been over to tour and play DJ sets etc a few times but never spent more than 2 weeks at a time there. To live there would be a dream come true for me.

1 hour ago, Old Man Riva said:

I love this track/version. Reminds me of being a kid in the 70s. If I’d had a tough day at school or felt a bit ‘lost’ in the world I’d retreat into this and all would be good again. Still makes me feel that way...

Great band. Loved Made In Heaven. Not sure timeline but was that bassist from Cockney Rebel that died in Lockerbie disaster.  Think it was Paul Jeffreys ?

Dave

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Great band. Loved Made In Heaven. Not sure timeline but was that bassist from Cockney Rebel that died in Lockerbie disaster.  Think it was Paul Jeffreys ?

Dave

Yes, a great band. Bill Nelson is such a wonderful guitarist/musician/songwriter.

The bassist on this was a New Zealander called Charlie Tumahai. Again, a wonderful player.

The live album has a version of Shine (odd at the time as it was included with the 12” album as a 7” EP!?) that has Charlie laying down some really funky lines. It was a big influence in my bass evolution as it was the first time I’d heard such ‘funky’ bass lines (double stops/chords etc.) in a rock band. I’ve been ripping him off ever since!! 

Saw them live... happy times! 

• Like 2

Derek Forbes, I always think of him as the absolute foundation of the excellent early Simple Minds. To me, the pinnacle of the band’s output is Empires and Dance, perhaps the darkest, coldest album ever made, which is why it’s my second favourite album of all time. It’s the perfect counterpoint to my top album of all time Metal Box by PiL altogether more organic and earthier yet still cold lyrically. Anyway, Empires and Dance, cold, mechanical and archly European, superb...

Edited by Frank Blank
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lemonstar said:

I've got or heard all 13 albums (I'm including C'mon acoustic) and not heard this! Too many singles and EP's!
Under-rated band imho.

First time I heard it too, just before I posted it, and Low happens to be one of my absolute favorite bands, if not single most favorite band of all.

My favorite albums with them is without competition the hat-trick they made in the late 90's/early 00's with "Secret Name", "Things We Lost in the Fire" and "Trust", together with their debut album "I Could Live in Hope" from 1994, as well as their most recent one, "Double Negative" from 2018.

All those 5 albums are genuine equally great master pieces as far as I am concerned, though Low never really made an album that wasn't at least just good, and at least still had a few truly great songs on it.

Even if "Double Negative" in some aspects is radically different from what could be considered classic Low, though in other aspects unmistakably still very Low, I absolutely love it to pieces, in my opinion that album is fully up there on level, or even perhaps slightly above, the other albums that I personally consider true Low master piece classics.

To me it was like "Ones and Sixes", which is a great album as well, if though not quite on the same level of greatness as the 5 personal favorites I mentioned, was kind of a come back turning point for Low, after, in my opinion, a couple of weaker albums, here I am thinking "C'mon" and "The Invisible Way", that while not exactly bad albums, and while they did still feature a few truly great songs, for me was far from the usual amazingly high Low standards, to the point where I began to be concerned that they might have lost their magic touch.  

These 2 songs are some of my personal favorites from "Double Negative", and 2 out of many many of my absolute all time favorite Low songs:

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

First time I heard it too, just before I posted it, and Low happens to be one of my absolute favorite bands, if not single most favorite band of all.

My favorite albums with them is without competition the hat-trick they made in the late 90's/early 00's with "Secret Name", "Things We Lost in the Fire" and "Trust", together with their debut album "I Could Live in Hope" from 1994, as well as their most recent one, "Double Negative" from 2018.

All those 5 albums are genuine equally great master pieces as far as I am concerned, though Low never really made an album that wasn't at least just good, and at least still had a few truly great songs on it.

Even if "Double Negative" in some aspects is radically different from what could be considered classic Low, though in other aspects unmistakably still very Low, I absolutely love it to pieces, in my opinion that album is fully up there on level, or even perhaps slightly above, the other albums that I personally consider true Low master piece classics.

To me it was like "Ones and Sixes", which is a great album as well, if though not quite on the same level of greatness as the 5 personal favorites I mentioned, was kind of a come back turning point for Low, after, in my opinion, a couple of weaker albums, here I am thinking "C'mon" and "The Invisible Way", that while not exactly bad albums, and while they did still feature a few truly great songs, for me was far from the usual amazingly high Low standards, to the point where I began to be concerned that they might have lost their magic touch.  

These 2 songs are some of my personal favorites from "Double Negative", and 2 out of many many of my absolute all time favorite Low songs:

Interesting to see how you see the lie of the land. I've really struggled with "Double Negative" - I got to like Drums & Guns after initially not liking it - but DN - in isolation some instrumental parts are haunting - it's just the bad impression the 1st track in particular (and the 2nd) make on me - I honestly thought I had a faulty CD on first listening - that harsh gravelly distorted sound and other similar studio effects that appear at intervals are not pleasant to listen to on earbuds/headphones - I have no idea what they were thinking - if some of these treatments could be removed I'd be interested in listening to the songs underneath more. I like the darkness, the space, the harmonies, the slow pace and the emotional graveside gravity in what they do - the first album is probably the one I've played most.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, lemonstar said:

Interesting to see how you see the lie of the land. I've really struggled with "Double Negative" - I got to like Drums & Guns after initially not liking it - but DN - in isolation some instrumental parts are haunting - it's just the bad impression the 1st track in particular (and the 2nd) make on me - I honestly thought I had a faulty CD on first listening - that harsh gravelly distorted sound and other similar studio effects that appear at intervals are not pleasant to listen to on earbuds/headphones - I have no idea what they were thinking - if some of these treatments could be removed I'd be interested in listening to the songs underneath more. I like the darkness, the space, the harmonies, the slow pace and the emotional graveside gravity in what they do - the first album is probably the one I've played most.

I can totally see how Double Negative could throw off some classic Low fans, on the other hand knowing where they come from music wise and some of the music they love it isn't that much of a surprise really, and as said, there is still something about it that only Low could make, something very unmistakingly Low about it, even if so radically different in other ways from especially their earlier music.

Guess you need to love experimental and noisy music to really love it, which I happen to do (just try to listen to some of my experimental dark drone/ambient linked to in my signature and you'll understand, even if you likely won't like most of that either).

Admittedly after my first entire listen through of the album I was left with a sense of great disappointment, even if I loved the early single "Dancing and Blood", and kind of found "Quorum" intriguing as well, which I both heard priorly, so kind of know where you are coming from.  

But then something strange happened on my second complete listen through, which by the way was straight ahead following right after my first listen through, it was like something in me all of a sudden had made a complete 180 degrees turn, like the music made me drop all parades of preconception and suddenly I was deeply in love with the whole album, and that feeling kind of only grew from there for every following listen.

Like the point of the album was completely lost to me on my first entire listen through, but that I then all of a sudden understood it it perfectly clear at the second entire listen though.

There are other Low albums that took a while for me to appreciate in their entirety, but far from the way this one worked on me, going from complete disappointment to sudden deep love, in a matter of 2 listen throughs, following directly right after each other.   

Quite a strange experience. 

Never happened this way with any other music before, usually it is something that either happens immediately at the very first listen, or more often, I find at least, something that fairly slowly just grows on you, from kind of indifference, kind of like a "Nice track, but it doesn't really speak to me personally" thing, but then slowly growing on you the more you listen to it, sometimes ending up with genuine true love, some of my absolute favorite songs were like that, but with this it was just going from true disappointment and mildly dislike to all of a sudden absolute love, like if something had clicked an emotional switch in my head. 

Though I do suppose it is one of those albums that you either don't get at all and hate, or totally get and absolutely love.

I guess all I can do is assure you that the entire Double Negative album in fact is genuine great musical art, and hope you'll be able to get it at some point as well. 

I never really managed to get to truly appreciate "C'mon" and "The Invisible Way" as albums, even if there are a few songs from those albums that I like a lot, still non of my otherwise many absolute favorite Low songs are from those two albums, which otherwise there seem to be some of on just about every other album Low made, topping with my 5 absolute favorite Low albums of course, that I mentioned in my previous post.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

Derek Forbes, I always think of him as the absolute foundation of the excellent early Simple Minds. To me, the pinnacle of the band’s output is Empires and Dance, perhaps the darkest, coldest album ever made, which is why it’s my second favourite album of all time. It’s the perfect counterpoint to my top album of all time Metal Box by PiL altogether more organic and earthier yet still cold lyrically. Anyway, Empires and Dance, cold, mechanical and archly European, superb...

Yep, their best run of albums was E & D through to NGD though I give the nod to Sister Feelings Call.  After NGD it was all U2-type stadium pish unfortunately.

• Like 1