Why become a member? ×

What are you listening to right now?

Sarah5string

On 14/07/2020 at 07:54, Richard R said:

If ever there was a case that musicians should be heard but not seen, that is it! Fantastic song, great performance, but Neil Young's constipation and Stephen Stills' tie - aaarrrghh!!

Actually, Stephen Stills in that video has given me serious tie GAS.

I never knew it was a thing but I've been gawping at vintage ties on ebay already. Constipation I already have so I'm okay there.

But yeah. Tie GAS, who knew???

1 hour ago, meterman said:

I never knew it was a thing but I've been gawping at vintage ties on ebay already. Constipation I already have so I'm okay there.

Tie Acquisition Syndrome surely?
Of course you then have to buy the shirts as well, because you need the correct collars to go with that sort of tie.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, meterman said:

So glad I don't need to wear a tie anymore. I spent stupid money on them. I lived in downtown Chicago, so I had easy access to all the main stores. One such store (Marshall Field's at the time, now Macy's) had an exclusive deal with the professor of a design class at the School of the Art Institute (the famous lions on Michigan Ave) to sell the ties created by the students in his design class each semester. And I had an exclusive deal with the lady at the tie counter. When a new batch came in, I got a call, and a chance to cherry-pick my favorites before they went on display. Silk ties. Single base color. And then a work of art silkscreened on to it. They cost between US$75 and 85. I owned a LOT. They were beauties!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

:useless:

I know. Mine have been gone for 15 years. But here are a couple of current examples (note that those in the Art Institute shop are generally NOT one-offs like I had). Mine were more interesting than these, but you'll get a basic idea.

274217.jpg

275444.jpg

282836.jpg

282834.jpg

113419.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, meterman said:

That's wonderful. 

God, I love Greece. I would already be living there if Mrs Meterman was up for it. 

As would I but mrs S and her two kids wouldn't be able to handle the higher summer temperatures and mozzies.  When I was at university used to spend a lot of time in the islands working in tavernas during the summer hols. Great times.

• Like 1

I've given myself a challenge

Most days I'm out for a walk before work, between one and two hours, headphones on listening to music.  The challenge is to see if I can work my way through the alphabet for a different country for the bands.

I started yesterday, and am up to F:

A = State Of The Art by Hilltop Hoods - Australia

B = Suds & Soda (EP) by Deus - Belgium

C = The Great Awake by The Flatliners - Canada

D = Paradox: Closing The Chapter by Royal Hunt - Denmark

E = BBC Radio One Live In Concert by New Model Army - England

F = Marche Ou Creve by Trust - France

Thus far I haven't had to make too many difficult choices (Trust aren't my favourite French band, but bonus points for singing in French, which seemed relevant), but I can foresee twisting the rules a bit for some letters. 

The only one I've regretted so far is Royal Hunt...not entirely sure how I ended up with that album but it's not really my sort of a thing, and I only lasted about 20 minutes.  Slightly disappointed that they are the only Danish band in my collection, given the other bands from Denmark that I could have played if only I owned any of their CDs.  I do have a couple of albums by a Dutch band that I like (which I convinced myself would be a valid choice for "D") but I am saving them for H (Holland) as I'm not sure I have many other choices.

Also slightly underwhelmed by Deus, which I wasn't a huge fan of, and ironically enough while it was playing I was trying to remember the name of a band that I was sure were from Chile that I could have played next.  Turned out that they were called Indiscipline and are actually from Brazil.  If only I'd remembered before I'd started playing Deus...

Edited by Monkey Steve
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, meterman said:

Surely that's a cravat?

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Old Man Riva said:

A ‘new’ ‘old’ Stones track - coming out as part of the repackaged Goats Head Soup album.

Love it..!

One of my favourite, if not, my favourite Stones albums - in a way, I think Angie didn't do the album any favours - sometimes I think the album is overshadowed by that one track. I like the loose, hazy, summery vibe to the rest of the album.

11 minutes ago, lemonstar said:

One of my favourite, if not, my favourite Stones albums - in a way, I think Angie didn't do the album any favours - sometimes I think the album is overshadowed by that one track. I like the loose, hazy, summery vibe to the rest of the album.

Completely agree! I know it’s a big favourite, but I’ve never liked Angie as a song - just not my cup of tea. And you’re right, it doesn’t sit in particularly well with the rest of the album - Winter, on the other hand, fits beautifully.

I like Ronnie Wood, and think he’s a good fit for the band but, in terms of guitar, the combination of Keith and Mick Taylor is the one I’m most drawn to.

2 hours ago, Monkey Steve said:

The challenge is to see if I can work my way through the alphabet for a different country for the bands.

I love that sort of structured challenge to listening. I am still working my way though the CD collection alphabetically,  and am about to hit Yes. 

I don't think I have enough range of artists to do your challenge 🤔 

1 hour ago, Richard R said:

I love that sort of structured challenge to listening. I am still working my way though the CD collection alphabetically,  and am about to hit Yes. 

I don't think I have enough range of artists to do your challenge 🤔 

There will be some blatant cheating...I won't give the game away just yet in case I think of a better solution, but looking ahead to the next few letters there's one where I'm using the "if you could be qualified to play football or rugby for that country" rule, and one where I may have to put my hands up and admit that I'm just making stuff up.  But I'm determined not to download any tracks just to "win"

Fortunately I put the whole of my CD collection on to my phone about a year ago (well, I finished it about a year ago, it took  a while) - over 37,000 songs