Why become a member? ×

What are you listening to right now?

Sarah5string

14 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

I don't know the whole album, but the tracks I have heard are great and I aim to check out the whole thing.

BBC 6 Music did a 2 hour show on Sparks a couple of weeks ago - including discussion from Ron and Russel. It covered their whole career.... I must say that only a handful artists have  maintained such a high and varied standard over such a long period. It's available to listen to for a few more days:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000jsw3

They are supposed to be playing the Roundhouse later this year

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Richard R said:

That will be buzzing in my head all day now.  By 6pm I may either have listened to the rest of her output or be cursing you. Or both.

Thanks, I think...  😉

I could recommend a couple of songs:
The Beer by Kimya Dawson

Nothing Came Out by Moldy Peaches. 

The Moldy Peaches had a few crude (but good) songs and there is less of that in her solo work. And she doesn’t wear a bunny costume post-Peaches either!

I'm currently listening to the new Abel Ganz album. 

It's fantastic. Melodic, celtic infused prog. Really great. Here's a review on Prog Radar. 

https://www.progradar.org/index.php/2020/06/20/review-abel-ganz-the-life-of-the-honey-bee-and-other-moments-of-clarity/

Edited by kevin_lindsay

18 hours ago, Richard R said:

One of my all time favourite albums.

Twelfth Night, Live and Let Live. Everyone else in the house dislikes it immensely,  I just crank it up and think I'm 18 again.

Saw them at Reading when they were so full of promise, but the prog-superstardom never came 😞

Discovered the DVD of the performance recently, and that they are still going.

I got up early this morning, to taxi Our Daughter to the station. Upon return, I listened to Schubert's 9th, but nodded off after only a couple of minutes. When I awoke, I set it off again, so got to hear it all just the same. It was ending just as the post lady arrived. Happy daze. :)

4 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Discovered the DVD of the performance recently, and that they are still going.

When I was looking for the YouTube clip to post above I saw some clips of the concert. They must have trawled through the fan base to find any films.

I saw Andy thingy on the Art and Illusion tour. Good gig, but not great. Marillion were undeniably better.

• Like 1

The Utopia Strong.

Debut album last year..... some kind of elecronica, and the band features snooker player Steve Davis.

His last record was the very different Snooker Loopy!

Steve is actually a massive music fan (prog is his primary genre), but has only in the last few years started doing DJ sets, and even more recently actually making music (with the two other members of Utopia Strong)

Edited by Nail Soup
  • Like 1

This. GG have always been the only 'prog' band I like. Not for them tales of goblins and wizards, capes and all that bobbins. While a lot of prog to me sounds contrived, pompous and forced, GG had a natural, offhand, casual cool about their musicality and virtuosity and a sense of fun! Beats me how their lesser peers went on to hit the big time and they didn't.

1 minute ago, Barking Spiders said:

This. GG have always been the only 'prog' band I like. Not for them tales of goblins and wizards, capes and all that bobbins. While a lot of prog to me sounds contrived, pompous and forced, GG had a natural, offhand, casual cool about their musicality and virtuosity and a sense of fun! Beats me how their lesser peers went on to hit the big time and they didn't.

Agreed 100%. Naming no names re lesser peers, suspect our pet peeves might be similar.

The Utopia Strong.

Debut album last year..... some kind of elecronica, and the band features snooker player Steve Davis.

Steve is actually a massive music fan (prog is his primary genre), but has only in the last few years started doing DJ sets, and even more recently actually making music (with the two other members of Utopia Strong)

The video's a load of balls if you ask me 🤣

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

I got up early this morning, to taxi Our Daughter to the station. Upon return, I listened to Schubert's 9th, but nodded off after only a couple of minutes. When I awoke, I set it off again, so got to hear it all just the same. It was ending just as the post lady arrived. Happy daze. :)

My Dad was obsessed with the Great C Major, still have his multiple vinyl versions. Might dig out his DG Berlin Philharmonic Conducted by Ferenc Fricsay and give it a spin. Live my beautiful turntable - play CDs more often admittedly.

• Like 1

The Utopia Strong.

Went to Bloomsbury Theatre many years ago to see Magma. Was perplexed to see Steve Davis there, turned out he'd underwritten and organised the Gig

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JottoSW1 said:

Went to Bloomsbury Theatre many years ago to see Magma. Was perplexed to see Steve Davis there, turned out he'd underwritten and organised the Gig

Cool! I heard the story (on John Peel, many years ago)  that there was an obscure prog band that sang in their own language and had a tour bank-rolled (or something) by Steve Davis.... so that would be Magma then!

1 hour ago, Nail Soup said:

Cool! I heard the story (on John Peel, many years ago)  that there was an obscure prog band that sang in their own language and had a tour bank-rolled (or something) by Steve Davis.... so that would be Magma then!

Used to have the brilliant Francois Moze playing Bass for them, his excellent playing on Gong - Gazeuse is an inspiration. As is the Album.

I borrowed that from the Birmingham record library in 1983! I was doing sound for a play and wanted #6 "After the butler breaks wind". It was scratched and sounded like "As the butler excretes sandpaper".

We had to make our own silence, the director was very kind but it was never quite as good as I hoped. 😥

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, JottoSW1 said:

After all these years who would have thought that Steve 'Interesting' Davis would blossom into Steve Interesting Davis.

• Like 1