Why become a member? ×

What are you listening to right now?

Sarah5string

5 minutes ago, Old Man Riva said:

Re. Nils Lofgren, didn't he used to enter the stage via a trampoline, or some such?! David Lee Roth eat your heart out.

He did! Actually used a small trampoline during his set, whilst playing guitar too. Think it was a bit of a gimmick TBH, bit of theatrics etc. He partly blames this and doing flips as well for recently having both hips replaced!

2 hours ago, casapete said:

Think he's being a trifle modest - I've seen him play piano on all his gigs I've been to over the last 40 odd years, and whilst he's no virtuoso he can certainly play what's needed. 'The sun hasn't set on this boy yet' and especially 'Goin back' are wonderful.

Yeah, he’s great...

Here’s the interview I half remembered.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Daz39 said:

Squeeze - Argybargy

Great album, the one that got me into Squeeze.

14 hours ago, T-Bay said:

I didn’t really get Placebo at first but then rediscovered them a few years later and they are now one of my favourite bands,

I've always liked Placebo and was lucky enough to see them live in Mannheim in about 2002. They were great 🙂

1 hour ago, casapete said:

He did! Actually used a small trampoline during his set, whilst playing guitar too. Think it was a bit of a gimmick TBH, bit of theatrics etc. He partly blames this and doing flips as well for recently having both hips replaced!

Excellent! Would love to have seen his medical claim form!

A mate of mine was a big fan - he told me about the trampoline thing after seeing him at Brum Odeon in the 70s.

Did he do Cry Tough on the OGWT, or am I imagining things in my old(er) age?

think I need to have a listen to some of his stuff...

6 hours ago, pigface said:

I've always liked Placebo and was lucky enough to see them live in Mannheim in about 2002. They were great 🙂

One of my favourite live bands, I last saw in Manchester a couple of weeks before it was blown up. Then had tickets for Wolverhampton but sadly that was cancelled as Brian’s health wasn’t that great. Hoping they will be touring again soon.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, T-Bay said:

One of my favourite live bands, I last saw in Manchester a couple of weeks before it was blown up. Then had tickets for Wolverhampton but sadly that was cancelled as Brian’s health wasn’t that great. Hoping they will be touring again soon.

Loved fist album and pinched some droney bass chords off them in my playing. 

I used to knock about with the live drummer when we were teens. Both in different bands.   

• Like 1

This week I am fully immersed in Band Of Horses. Easily in my top 5 bands* of all time. Loved Bill Reynolds on bass and now Matt Gentling (former Archers of Loaf) is a a solid dude. 

So I decided to go on one of my 'journeys' and decided to try and learn as much of their bass lines as possible. 

Not that easy with my lack of talent and inability to hear bass via digital. but hey, they seem pretty straight forward. Got through about 17 songs in 3.5 hours last night, wasn't a complete disaster. 

Do it up, ya'll! 

*not just animal based band names. 

Edited by Nothingman
  • Like 2

Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral

I've never really listened to NIN beyond a few of their more obvious tracks, but this is very good and if I'd heard it at the right age (probably around 21), I'd have probably got really into them

More mellowness. This is Juan Areco. I had the distinct pleasure of getting to listen to him dozens of times while he was playing at the Biltmore in Coral Gables in 1997, and i was there 2 weeks/month for a year on a consulting gig.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Something completely different, this popped up on YouTube, i might have to get the acoustic out 🙂

Brilliant. Thoroughly enjoyed that. Old Rog is wearing well tho. 

He still has an issue with Dave even after all this time. Shame

Dave

• Like 1