Why become a member? ×

What are you listening to right now?

Sarah5string

On 23/04/2020 at 15:36, Hobbayne said:

Document by REM.

The last album before they broke it big.

Some crackers in there which I haven't heard for years.

Looking forward to playing this, probably on Tuesday. I'm still listening to all my CDs alphabetically. Finished Queen, Radiohead and RedHills next, then REM.

This morning I'm going for Garden Of Earthly Delights; an XTC Celebration from Futureman Records.  I'm not a big fan of these tribute packages, but this is rather jolly and nice.

49 tracks in FLAC format for $10.00.  Can't go wrong.  https://futuremanrecords.bandcamp.com/album/garden-of-earthly-delights-an-xtc-celebration

a2606401618_10.jpg

• Like 2

I don't quite know what it is but sometimes an album that you just don't "get" has a moment when you suddenly connect with it - maybe it's my internal mood, connected with the time and place and attention you can give it - I listened to this again walking my dog in the rain. I've been watching Normal People on iPlayer on BBC - I think that has had something to do with it - I was reading it's having an affect on a lot of people. Anyway - it was this track "Groatie Buckies" from the Erland Cooper album "Sule Skerry"

4 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

This morning I'm going for Garden Of Earthly Delights; an XTC Celebration from Futureman Records.  I'm not a big fan of these tribute packages, but this is rather jolly and nice.

49 tracks in FLAC format for $10.00.  Can't go wrong.  https://futuremanrecords.bandcamp.com/album/garden-of-earthly-delights-an-xtc-celebration

a2606401618_10.jpg

I love love love XTC - I shall be taking a look at this - I've bought fan albums in the past and enjoyed them a lot.

• Like 1

I never tire of this band, I saw them live locally a few times.  So here's my next hour.  It's all instrumental, the songs were all numbers (hence the set numbers), then they put something out that was called something like Smooth Seas do not Great Sailors Make (or something).

I don't actually know what category they fall into.

12 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Nice bass groove on the stratus one ☝️ 

Stratus is one of my favorite bass grooves. Apparently Lee Sklar only played it a couple of times in the studio and then never played it again, which quite ridiculously means that I've played it dozens more times than he did ( and nowhere near as well).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

Bit of a throwback to my Big Band rhythm guitar playing days, enjoying Ella Fitzgerald sings the Duke Ellington Songbook. Lovely!

Wonderful pairing!

If you have Amazon Music Unlimited, check out the "Ella Fitzgerald and Duke Ellington - Cote D'Azur Concerts on Verve" box set. 8 CDs. Recorded June 26-29, 1966.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As I have been working from home, I have taken time to try to get into Failure. Previously I had liked a couple of their songs, but found the albums hard going in one sitting or even listening to on car journeys. 

Thanks to Spotify and sitting at my desk for a few hours a day, I have had time to listen properly. I created a best of Failure playlist to play in the background. I now have several of their songs embedded in my head. The playlist has grown to about 30 songs.

Some good stuff too among the Failure off shoots and Ken Andrew's solo album.

Check out the bass on this one:

3 hours ago, sPiKi said:

As I have been working from home, I have taken time to try to get into Failure. Previously I had liked a couple of their songs, but found the albums hard going in one sitting or even listening to on car journeys. 

Thanks to Spotify and sitting at my desk for a few hours a day, I have had time to listen properly. I created a best of Failure playlist to play in the background. I now have several of their songs embedded in my head. The playlist has grown to about 30 songs.

Some good stuff too among the Failure off shoots and Ken Andrew's solo album.

Check out the bass on this one:

I quite liked that, Failure are one of those bands I keep trying to get into, as on paper they should be right up my street, but for some reason it never clicks with me.

I'll look up this album and give it a go