Why become a member? ×

What are you listening to right now?

Sarah5string

1 hour ago, Leonard Smalls said:

In particular the fantastically raw guitar solo in "It must have been years"

Replicas.jpg.f32e1cacbf17f12d318518eceb864f75.jpg

I'm not a fan of guitar solos in music, but I love the guitar work on Tubeway Army records, Numan himself is credited as being the guitarist on their output, I don't think (despite having listened to them for decades) that he was the guitarist!

1 hour ago, Frank Blank said:

I'm not a fan of guitar solos in music, but I love the guitar work on Tubeway Army records, Numan himself is credited as being the guitarist on their output, I don't think (despite having listened to them for decades) that he was the guitarist!

Wasn't it RRussell?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frank Blank said:

I don't think (despite having listened to them for decades) that he was the guitarist!

He played guitar on the first album, and on the 1st single - all of which were very guitar based... I even bought That's Too Bad/Oh Didn't I Say for the riffage!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

He played guitar on the first album, and on the 1st single - all of which were very guitar based... I even bought That's Too Bad/Oh Didn't I Say for the riffage!

Yeh, he was the guitarist - the synth thing was an accident, it wasn't even his, just something in the studio

32 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Bit of an old Proggie classic from Magna Carta - Lord of the Ages

From the Wondrous Stories Prog Collection 4 CD album

Nice find! Thought I owned a Magna Carta CD. Turned out to be Magna Canta (Gregorian chants). But I did notice the double CD next to it...three albums by Mahogany Rush! Been decades since I've listened to it. Time for a relisten!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TheMaartian said:

Nice find! Thought I owned a Magna Carta CD. Turned out to be Magna Canta (Gregorian chants). But I did notice the double CD next to it...three albums by Mahogany Rush! Been decades since I've listened to it. Time for a relisten!

I bought Mahogany Rush What's Next album. Was totally stunned by how great it was. Frank Marino was a under-rated in my opinion. A bit of a baw-heid but was his idol Hendrix not the same. ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

I bought Mahogany Rush What's Next album. Was totally stunned by how great it was. Frank Marino was a under-rated in my opinion. A bit of a baw-heid but was his idol Hendrix not the same. ?

I have their first three on that double CD: Maxoom, Child of the Novelty, and Strange Universe. I saw them live in a small west suburban Chicago club around '78 or '79. Fantastic show! You're right about Marino. He was excellent! And Paul Harwood was a fine bass player!

EDIT: I just built a 141-song Mahogany Rush playlist on Amazon Unlimited. Gotta love it!

Edited by TheMaartian
  • Like 1

Today it's all about Stone Temple Pilots.

I've maintained for some time that if I'd been born about ten years earlier, my big band would have been Pearl Jam, but I feel STP are less copyist and just a little more clever; Dean DeLeo is an exceptionally good (and underrated) guitarist, he plays some weird shapes.

On 13/04/2020 at 20:39, TheMaartian said:

I have their first three on that double CD: Maxoom, Child of the Novelty, and Strange Universe. I saw them live in a small west suburban Chicago club around '78 or '79. Fantastic show! You're right about Marino. He was excellent! And Paul Harwood was a fine bass player!

EDIT: I just built a 141-song Mahogany Rush playlist on Amazon Unlimited. Gotta love it!

Thought i'd play some Mahogany Rush for us fans. Fantastic bass tone on this too.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TrevorR said:

Currently listening to pre-release review  MP3s of the new Kansas album, The Absence of Presence. The album’s not actually out until the end of June. Tell you what, it’s a bit good!

I bought a remaindered copy of '25 Years of Rock' in around 1981/2.

One of the phrases I recall was 'faceless mid-westeners "Kansas"'. I guess they get the last laugh 🙂

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I bought a remaindered copy of '25 Years of Rock' in around 1981/2.

One of the phrases I recall was 'faceless mid-westeners "Kansas"'. I guess they get the last laugh 🙂

I bought the Kansas 30th anniversary Sailing collection a few yrs back. Fantastic band with some very emotional songs.

Was listening to Gentle Giant few days ago and thought they had a similar sound. .At first i didn't know who it was on a compilation Prog album.

Dave

• Like 1