Why become a member? ×

What are you listening to right now?

Sarah5string

Off the back of the Matt Garrison above, I’ve been breaking out the fusion again the last few days whilst having to work from home. Garrison, Scott Kinsey, Janek Gwizdala, Chick Corea, Hadrian Feraud Etc. Always worrying because as soon as I start listening to fusion for any length of time I want to play it, and I don’t currently have any basses that are really great for it......which of course means I start wanting to buy something......

25 minutes ago, 4000 said:

Off the back of the Matt Garrison above, I’ve been breaking out the fusion again the last few days whilst having to work from home. Garrison, Scott Kinsey, Janek Gwizdala, Chick Corea, Hadrian Feraud Etc. Always worrying because as soon as I start listening to fusion for any length of time I want to play it, and I don’t currently have any basses that are really great for it......which of course means I start wanting to buy something......

Then might I offer this up for your listening pleasure? Return To Forever's 30th anniversary tour. I was most fortunate to catch this live down in Phoenix. IIRC, their performance at the Montreux Jazz Festival (18 July 2008) is available on Blu-ray. Here's the show from San Sebastian, Spain a week later. Stanley Clarke's extended acoustic and electric bass solo is wonderful. I was 10 rows back and had an excellent view of his hands. I'm not even that good in my dreams!

EDIT: The bass solo included here is half of what I saw/heard. Still excellent, but a shame that the full solo wasn't committed to tape.

Edited by TheMaartian
  • Like 2

Not and album or track but currently listening to Lisa Tarbuck on Radio 2 who is playing some absolutely spiffing music including Talking Heads, Annie Lennox, Roxy Music/Bryan Ferry. Glad I tuned in as I've been bopping round the kitchen to music genres I don't like.

If I'm not mistaken it will be followed by Johnnie Walkers Rock Hour😀

Edited by naxos10

5 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I remember my mum listening to Doris Day she had a magical voice, and I think Karen Carpenter also did.

We always had music on in the house when I was growing up.  My late mum was a huge fan of The Beatles, Kinks, Rolling Stones and also gave me an appreciation of big band stuff and Frank/Dean etc.  What did I give her back?  She loved Cheap Trick and Kiss.  My dad loved Doris and also loved Hall & Oates and The Carpenters.

The Doris Day Christmas Album is essential listening any time of year too.  Her voice is velvet.

Edited by NancyJohnson
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, NancyJohnson said:

Doris Day.  Seriously. 

Wow. Thanks for the tickle (in this day of social distancing!). Reminded me of a 2-on-1 CD I own of Eydie Gorme, backed by The Trio Los Panchos. Not a lot of peeps remember that she was a Latina. They only know her from her English work with husband Steve Lawrence. They set up their own record label in Las Vegas (GL Music Co.) to release their work. I also have their CD "It's Us Again", with Steve's last name misspelled on the cover as 'Lawence'! Gotta love DIYs!

Anyway, here's a full 2 album set. Eydie's voice is super, and super lovely in Spanish!

EDIT: Here's their website: http://www.steveandeydie.com/. I noticed that they fixed the spelling on the CD cover. Ha!

Edited by TheMaartian