Why become a member? ×

What are you listening to right now?

Sarah5string

Not now, but a couple of days ago I listened to Has Been by William Shatner, it's surprisingly good. I already knew a couple if the tracks on there - the cover of Common People with Joe Jackson and the one with Henry Rollins and Adrian Belew, but the rest of the album is not the car crash I was expecting.

Ben Folds produced/wrote everything beyond Shatner's spoken word lyrics and he did a great job, even when it's too cheesy, it's in a knowing way where they're in on the joke.

I'm unlikely to listen to it again, but as a curiosity, it's worth a spin.

I downloaded Futureman Records 'Garden Of Earthly Delights - An XTC Celebration' earlier today (Bandcamp/$12.00); I'm not generally a fan of tribute albums, I suppose in my time I've been on the receiving end of too many of these frankly awful rock tribute albums and I'd sooner avoid them. 

Anyhow, that said, this is a little different and although I came to the party a bit late, I am an XTC fan.  Thankfully there's no heavy metal reinterpretation of anything and it's almost as if Messrs Partridge and Moulding have just gone in and rerecorded 50-odd tracks of XTC/Dukes material with a load of different musicians; in the main, the vocal delivery is extremely close to that of the original recordings, which makes things all the more listenable.

Money well spent.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jassthebass said:

without sounding like an epic snob I'm listening to Miles Davis's 'Footprints' !!

I'm currently listening to 'We want miles'. Live album recorded in the early 80's before marcus got too big for his own hat.

Edited by jacko
  • Like 1

On 27/03/2020 at 14:06, jacko said:

I'm currently listening to 'We want miles'. Live album recorded in the early 80's before marcus got too big for his own hat.

Big Fun -  to drown out Coronation Street. Why would listening to Miles Davis make one a snob?