Why become a member? ×

What are you listening to right now?

Sarah5string

On 04/03/2020 at 13:50, Yakman said:

Rollin Stones Sticky Fingers

One of to many classic albums they did but I've always had a soft spot of Goat's Head Soup but not because of the inclusion of Angie - it's the album as a whole - which I think is under-rated generally - when I hear it I think it has a hazy (possibly drug induced) summery, dreamy feel to it with the sax playing in particular.

5 minutes ago, lemonstar said:

One of to many classic albums they did but I've always had a soft spot of Goat's Head Soup but not because of the inclusion of Angie - it's the album as a whole - which I think is under-rated generally - when I hear it I think it has a hazy (possibly drug induced) summery, dreamy feel to it with the sax playing in particular.

Love both those, but for me it’s ‘Exile on Main St’. One of those albums I never tire of, especially Tumbling Dice and Happy. Mr Richards at his best IMHO.

• Like 1

Exile is my No.1 Stones album too! I was brought to it through the story of Gram Parsons, who Keef really liked, GP was around the villa for a while when Exile was recorded and I'm a GP fan because of his song writing and he was introduced to me by Evan Dando.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lemonstar said:

Exile is my No.1 Stones album too! I was brought to it through the story of Gram Parsons, who Keef really liked, GP was around the villa for a while when Exile was recorded and I'm a GP fan because of his song writing and he was introduced to me by Evan Dando.

I went to the villa in Villefranche-Sur-Mer when we were on holiday in the south of France but was a bit disappointed as it was barely visible! I got into Gram Parsons via listening to a lot of Emmylou Harris, who I still love to this day. The Stones are probably still my favourite band ever, although don’t seem to be many fans on here!

18 hours ago, casapete said:

I went to the villa in Villefranche-Sur-Mer when we were on holiday in the south of France but was a bit disappointed as it was barely visible! I got into Gram Parsons via listening to a lot of Emmylou Harris, who I still love to this day. The Stones are probably still my favourite band ever, although don’t seem to be many fans on here!

Well, I, like a good friend of mine (Dewi), were Beatles fans at heart although I think I was more open to the Stones than he was about a decade ago but take a listen to one of his latest songs - I think it's pretty good Stones influenced track - he's come a long way. Drop him a comment if you like it  - I'm sure he would appreciate it.

Edited by lemonstar

@Frank Blank he's a unique, oft forgotten talent - his wiki page tells of his sad demise.

Simon Armitage(singer, songwriter, poet, wordsmith, raconteur and wit), current poet laureate was born in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire and "Jake" Thackray (singer, songwriter, poet, wordsmith, raconteur and wit - spot the connection?) was born in Kirkstall, Leeds - Kirkstall is only 20 miles away from Huddersfield and I wondered if there was a not too distant family connection because and the maiden name of Jake's mother, Ivy May, was Armitage!

ancestry.co.uk says that
"The name (Armitage) is very common in Yorkshire, where it has been traced to Hermitage Bridge, near Huddersfield. "

I read that "language ability and disability and the normal range of ability with language" are known to have a very strong genetic basis (check out "Genetics and the development of language disabilities and abilities" (2002) if interested) - I know I'm flirting with the facts but I am curious to know if JT and SA are related.

8 minutes ago, lemonstar said:

@Frank Blank he's a unique, oft forgotten talent - his wiki page tells of his sad demise.

Simon Armitage(singer, songwriter, poet, wordsmith, raconteur and wit), current poet laureate was born in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire and "Jake" Thackray (singer, songwriter, poet, wordsmith, raconteur and wit - spot the connection?) was born in Kirkstall, Leeds - Kirkstall is only 20 miles away from Huddersfield and I wondered if there was a not too distant family connection because and the maiden name of Jake's mother, Ivy May, was Armitage!

ancestry.co.uk says that
"The name (Armitage) is very common in Yorkshire, where it has been traced to Hermitage Bridge, near Huddersfield. "

I read that "language ability and disability and the normal range of ability with language" are known to have a very strong genetic basis (check out "Genetics and the development of language disabilities and abilities" (2002) if interested) - I know I'm flirting with the facts but I am curious to know if JT and SA are related.

He was never forgotten by me. His peculiar, verging on the gothic, demeanour and delivery, his strange songs peppered with 70s sexism and yet he will also sing heart wrenching songs like Molly Metcalfe and my personal favourite The Hair Of The Widow Of Bridlington. Odd man, odd songs.

• Like 1

Big Wreck....can’t believe I like rock guitar based music and have missed this up until now. They were biggish just at the right times too but have flown under my radar UNTIL NOW. Ian Thornley on guitar and vocal duties is a song writing machine and fretboard wonder. His band are great too and there’s a decent number of absolutely glorious bass lines too. 

Too many good songs to mention so here is the first one I heard....enjoy! Turn it up loud and just wait for the drums to kick in