Why become a member? ×

What are you listening to right now?

Sarah5string

4 hours ago, B-Mac said:

The Aristocrats - Culture Clash

I haven't heard this one but I have the 1st and another live album - they're a stinky poo hot band - I had Flatlands as a ring tone on my phone for a while.

Edited by lemonstar
  • Like 1

On 30/01/2020 at 22:52, dmccombe7 said:

Wee trip down memory lane and remembered this amazing band from 70's

John Sloman was a fantastic singer / frontman.

I went to see them at Brum Hippodrome on the Firing on all Six tour - as a kid I was blown away by it all. The sound seemed massive and John Sloman was my first taste of ‘rock god’ vocalists!

Odd things you remember; the place was littered with A5-sized flyers with a Geoff Barton quote, “Lone Star: Catch Them Before They Become Too Big!”. Not sure what it meant but me and my mates collected dozens of them as mementos!!

The things you do, eh?!

I bought a tour t-shirt, which I think I’ve actually got somewhere - it was salmon pink!! 

• Like 1

On 30/01/2020 at 23:19, lemonstar said:

I think John Peel was played a few tracks off the Firing on All Six album at the time he was playing Siouxsie etc

His show could be like that. I’ve a cassette of his show I recorded from the mid-70s (77?) where Suburban Relapse by Siouxsie is followed by Draw the Line by Aerosmith.

He offered a fairly eclectic mix of music around that time..!

1 hour ago, Old Man Riva said:

I went to see them at Brum Hippodrome on the Firing on all Six tour - as a kid I was blown away by it all. The sound seemed massive and John Sloman was my first taste of ‘rock god’ vocalists!

Odd things you remember; the place was littered with A5-sized flyers with a Geoff Barton quote, “Lone Star: Catch Them Before They Become Too Big!”. Not sure what it meant but me and my mates collected dozens of them as mementos!!

The things you do, eh?!

I bought a tour t-shirt, which I think I’ve actually got somewhere - it was salmon pink!! 

I'm so jealous. They are one band i wish i could have seen.

Dave

39 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I'm so jealous. They are one band i wish i could have seen.

Dave

I was about 14 or 15 at the time. As I may have said on here before, as a kid myself and my mate used to try and go and see any band we could - generally we’d get taken along by my mate’s older brother (he wasn’t particularly pleased about it but did it anyway - once we were at the venue he’d tell us to bu**er off and arrange to meet us at the end!). 

We’d save up pocket money from milk rounds, paper rounds and doing chores etc. and it all went towards going to see a gig or Coventry City!

My dad was also brilliant as I’d invariably not have enough money and he would always try and help me out if he could.

Lone Star was a great experience. I’d seen my first gig the previous year (Hawkwind at Cov Theatre) and Rush earlier in ‘77 at Brum Odeon and also Nazareth (still one of the best gigs I’ve seen) at Cov Theatre the same year so seeing Lone Star was a bit different. They were fairly unknown at the time but my mate’s brother had a couple of tickets and his mates dropped out so we went along instead.

It was a Saturday night so we were able to go across on the train in the afternoon and visit a place called Reddingtons Rare Records (an amazing place, stacked with records, used to spend hours in there) and Woodroffe’s Musical Instruments (just to look at the basses hanging on the wall!).

The gig was a fantastic night, and as I said earlier, the singer was a proper ‘rock star’!

It was my desperation to want to go and see any gig I could that drove me to get a Saturday job at a local Woolworths as soon as I was able to, where all the money went towards records or gigs.

As a kid, they were brilliant times!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Old Man Riva said:

I was about 14 or 15 at the time. As I may have said on here before, as a kid myself and my mate used to try and go and see any band we could - generally we’d get taken along by my mate’s older brother (he wasn’t particularly pleased about it but did it anyway - once we were at the venue he’d tell us to bu**er off and arrange to meet us at the end!). 

We’d save up pocket money from milk rounds, paper rounds and doing chores etc. and it all went towards going to see a gig or Coventry City!

My dad was also brilliant as I’d invariably not have enough money and he would always try and help me out if he could.

Lone Star was a great experience. I’d seen my first gig the previous year (Hawkwind at Cov Theatre) and Rush earlier in ‘77 at Brum Odeon and also Nazareth (still one of the best gigs I’ve seen) at Cov Theatre the same year so seeing Lone Star was a bit different. They were fairly unknown at the time but my mate’s brother had a couple of tickets and his mates dropped out so we went along instead.

It was a Saturday night so we were able to go across on the train in the afternoon and visit a place called Reddingtons Rare Records (an amazing place, stacked with records, used to spend hours in there) and Woodroffe’s Musical Instruments (just to look at the basses hanging on the wall!).

The gig was a fantastic night, and as I said earlier, the singer was a proper ‘rock star’!

It was my desperation to want to go and see any gig I could that drove me to get a Saturday job at a local Woolworths as soon as I was able to, where all the money went towards records or gigs.

As a kid, they were brilliant times!

Yep mid to late 70's into early 80's was my fav era too. I remember going to see bands at Glasgow Apollo almost every weekend and many times mid week.

I always thought John Sloman was the perfect Rock singer, voice, looks and proper stage presence of the classic rock singers. He had it all. I met him when he played with Uriah Heep and he was an absolute gent and so down to earth. One of my fav memories from that era to be honest.

Dave 

1 hour ago, Old Man Riva said:

Soul Jazz Records put together some great compilation albums, their catalogue is really worth checking out. 

This is what’s wafting through the airwaves this morning... getting down with Sarah Webster Fabio and friends on  a Saturday morning is good for the soul! 

I learnt to play with this stuff and never tire of it..love it..

its been a Gary Bartz morning for me

30 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Yep mid to late 70's into early 80's was my fav era too. I remember going to see bands at Glasgow Apollo almost every weekend and many times mid week.

I always thought John Sloman was the perfect Rock singer, voice, looks and proper stage presence of the classic rock singers. He had it all. I met him when he played with Uriah Heep and he was an absolute gent and so down to earth. One of my fav memories from that era to be honest.

Dave 

Yeah, I think that era was a good time for live music. There always seemed to be a band touring that would be appealing.

Quite a lot of bands seemed to miss out Coventry on the circuit and play up the road in Birmingham (the Odeon was popular at the time, along with the Hippodrome and Town Hall) so tickets for gigs in Cov tended to be cheaper.

I was lucky enough (or unlucky, depending on one’s musical tastes!) to see the likes of Nazareth, AC/DC, Tom Petty, Ian Dury & the Blockheads, Thin Lizzy, Sad Cafe, Elkie Brooks, UFO, Rush, Magazine/Simple Minds, the Specials all at Cov Theatre or a Cov venue in the space of a year or so.

And then it was off to Birmingham or farther afield for some of the other/bigger gigs.

Edited by Old Man Riva
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Old Man Riva said:

Yeah, I think that era was a good time for live music. There always seemed to be a band touring that would be appealing.

Quite a lot of bands seemed to miss out Coventry on the circuit and play up the road in Birmingham (the Odeon was popular at the time, along with the Hippodrome and Town Hall) so tickets for gigs in Cov tended to be cheaper.

I was lucky enough (or unlucky, depending on one’s musical tastes!) to see the likes of Nazareth, AC/DC, Tom Petty, Ian Dury & the Blockheads, Thin Lizzy, Sad Cafe, Elkie Brooks, UFO, Rush, Magazine/Simple Minds, the Specials all at Cov Theatre or a Cov venue in the space of a year or so.

And then it was off to Birmingham or farther afield for some of the other/bigger gigs.

Happy days long since gone. When ticket prices were £1 to £1.50

Glasgow Apollo was the place for us. Saw Thin Lizzy, UFO, Rush, Genesis, Steve Hacket, Peter Gabriel, Uriah Heep, The Firm, Yes, Camel, Steve Hillage, Whitesnake, Magnum, Alice Cooper, Nazareth,  Ozzy, MSG, Dio, and many i've forgotten.

Some gigs i only went to see the supports like It Bites supporting Robert Plant. Wasn't a big fan of Robert Plant at that time but It Bites were a brilliant band that unfortunately should have done better.

Dave 

16 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

I'm listening to Moving Pictures by Rush - in honour of my old band mate and one of Neil Peart's biggest fans, Tony Mathias. He died today after a massive heart attack so I'm having a little weep to myself whilst I listen.

Sorry to hear about your loss. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm listening to (and learning) Lost Stars from the movie Begin Again. THE KEIRA KNIGHTLEY VERSION NOT THE BLASTED FOUL (Oh I Love His Falsetto) Adam Levine version (sound of wretching although I sinisterley love it). My girl can seriously sing the offal out of anything so we gonna do a duo this year (Dangerous Adventures) & some other covers and some extreme Corporal Punishment . Oh by the way Begin Again is  a good movie  I SAY SO. 

On 02/02/2020 at 16:43, BreadBin said:

I'm listening to Moving Pictures by Rush - in honour of my old band mate and one of Neil Peart's biggest fans, Tony Mathias. He died today after a massive heart attack so I'm having a little weep to myself whilst I listen.

So sorry to hear sad news mate. Sympathy and condolences to family and friends.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1