Why become a member? ×

What are you listening to right now?

Sarah5string

On 14/01/2020 at 16:16, Monkey Steve said:

mate - that brings back memories from many moons ago.  I used to love Upside Down from the Polka Slam fanzine 7 inch - think I bought it in the queue for the Marquee.  And despite loving it, pretty sure i never bought any of their other stuff.  Haven't played it for years...might be listening to it again tonight...

You can still get the 'Everything' box set direct from D. Lucas via the Citizen Fish/Subhumans site 👍

Edited by doomed
  • Like 1

I've been listening to some Steven Wilson albums - contemporary prog rock - imho he doesn't have as visible a public profile as you might expect if you look at his wiki page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Wilson)

I was listening to Hand.Cannot.Erase

today while walking the dog and was curious to know if there was a story underneath it and there is as I found from the 2 part "making of..." video about the album (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTrSQWnJtgQ) - it's about this tragic death - a 38-year old woman Joyce Vincent (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joyce_Vincent) found dead in her bedsit in London - she'd lain undiscovered and unnoticed for nearly 3 years.

• Like 1

Yeah, yeah, I know we’re all sick of being bombarded with rare Japanese jazz rock/funk from the mid 1970s, but what the heck, this is what’s being listened to today.

Worth a listen just to hear the solo bass at around 8mins in where someone (presumably the player?!) is merrily grunting along to the playing!

As an aside, I really like the bass sound/tone on the album...

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Old Man Riva said:

Yeah, yeah, I know we’re all sick of being bombarded with rare Japanese jazz rock/funk from the mid 1970s, but what the heck, this is what’s being listened to today.

Worth a listen just to hear the solo bass at around 8mins in where someone (presumably the player?!) is merrily grunting along to the playing!

As an aside, I really like the bass sound/tone on the album...

I can see why you are liking this...
Yes - a bit weird that grunty humming at 8mins. It's not just accidental bleed through I don't think.

I've had Plan B's "Defamation of Strickland Banks" on in the car for past few days.

I'd forgotten what a good album it is, having listened to it only periodically when I first bought it.

I read an article about the album by Plan B who explained it was written about the fall of a fictitious soul singer who ends up in jail. Listening to the album with this in mind I'm surprised nobody picked up on it and wrote a film around the soundtrack.

21 hours ago, lemonstar said:

I can see why you are liking this...
Yes - a bit weird that grunty humming at 8mins. It's not just accidental bleed through I don't think.

I think you’re right, it feels as though it’s an intentional part of the track. I really like the bass playing throughout the whole album.

I’m a complete sucker for that sound/tone! 

39 minutes ago, dave moffat said:

fishing forum?

That'll be flatworms and roundworms. Apparently, in the fishing community, "Diggin' for bait" actually means what it says, and isn't automatically assumed to be a sexual innuendo from the early days of blues music. Who'd have thought it?