Why become a member? ×

What are you listening to right now?

Sarah5string

12 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

My mate Jay plays drums for them.  I suppose enough time has passed for me to pass on the story about Ashe O'Hara's departure, but I'm not going to.

I liked Ashe. I like Dan too. Never heard the other guy. I'm not really bothered about the  politics, just the music.

Great players all, Altered State is one of my favourite albums of all time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, odysseus said:

I liked Ashe. I like Dan too. Never heard the other guy. I'm not really bothered about the  politics, just the music.

Great players all, Altered State is one of my favourite albums of all time. 

I saw them once with Elliot Coleman (this the other guy?), tiny club in Bracknell.

Jay used to do the door at gigs I was doing years ago and was keen for us to use one of his rehearsal rooms - he had two, but then upped this to four (unsure whether he still owns them since his move to Austin; Tesseract used to rehearse there).

If you're interested, check out Heights.  It's quite wonderful.  It's instrumental stuff; Jay on drums, plus another two guys I know; Al Heslop/guitar (he's a great producer too, did some of my old recordings) and John Hopkin on bass (I think JH is a member here).

• Like 1

various versions of The Star of County Clare, sprung on me towards the end of today's practice session, we'd covered a lot of stuff , started noodling and were running out of time

Do you know The Star of County Down

Eh, what, never heard of it, (I was starting to pack up)

Its Irish folk

OK what's it sound like then?

Given a short couple of verses of chords vocal

What do you think?

Sounds OK

reaches for Uke bass and starts tinkering with the melody

See, you've got it nailed already (big grin) and hardly anyone plays it at open mics and things

Soo I guess that's another one added to the set list that I need to scratch around and find/learn a bass line for, have to admit it is a nice song with a simple chorus but we do seem to be sliding towards folk/country so this one fits nicely