Why become a member? ×

What are you listening to right now?

Sarah5string

The debut album from The Utopia Strong (Steve "Interesting" Davis, Kavus Torabi (Gong/ Cardiacs/ Knifeworld/ Guapo) and Michael J. York (Coil / Teleplasmiste / Guapo)) is released today. So while I wait for the vinyl to arrive I'm listening to it on Bandcamp.

Here's a sample:

• Like 1

Groundhogs, "Thank Christ for the bomb". Specifically, the track "Eccentric man". I've just listened to all the others. When it's finished, I'n going to play the whole album again.

Really rough, but very, very satisfying production on this record. 1970s for you, I guess. Bass sounds like it's clearly going direct. I can't work out if they've taken another feed or mike off the amp.

On 17/09/2019 at 17:12, LeftyP said:

I must confess to being late to the party with this band.  The name put me off - I thought it was a rapper!  Some cool stuff here.

You know what? I was always (daftly) put off this band by the name, going to listen to some now.

Edited by Frank Blank

On 16/09/2019 at 13:42, kevin_lindsay said:

Crass - now that's a band I haven't listened to since the 70's. 

I must listen to these as they have been remastered. I often listen to Crass and wonder if the production had been better if it would have actually been a good thing, I think the scratchy tinny sound is part of the dissonance, like fingernails down a blackboard. Love this band, obviously.

• Like 2