Why become a member? ×

What are you listening to right now?

Sarah5string

8 minutes ago, mattbass6 said:

Dream Theater - Falling Into Infinity. Melodic and classy.

My first new DT album when I first came to know of them. A few annoy me now but most of that album is cracking.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Daz39 said:

My first new DT album when I first came to know of them. A few annoy me now but most of that album is cracking.

Still one of my faves along with Images and Words & Octavarium. Full of melodies and hooks. They have lost the plot these days but really hoping the new one, currently being written, will bring back the melodies I loved them for.

36 minutes ago, mattbass6 said:

Still one of my faves along with Images and Words & Octavarium. Full of melodies and hooks. They have lost the plot these days but really hoping the new one, currently being written, will bring back the melodies I loved them for.

Hmm - the Astonishing was a bit meh. Like they were trying to be Yes or Rush of the 70s.

I loved some parts of eponymous and Dramatic Turn of Events, but the last excellent release was Black Clouds (I got the 3 disc version with the covers and the instrumental versions).

One consistency throughout DT is that any track written mostly by or featuring a lot of Portnoy's 'I'm a Metalhead' growl gets skipped most of the time.

1 minute ago, Daz39 said:

Hmm - the Astonishing was a bit meh. Like they were trying to be Yes or Rush of the 70s.

I loved some parts of eponymous and Dramatic Turn of Events, but the last excellent release was Black Clouds (I got the 3 disc version with the covers and the instrumental versions).

One consistency throughout DT is that any track written mostly by or featuring a lot of Portnoy's 'I'm a Metalhead' growl gets skipped most of the time.

The metal growls did get a bit too much, I agree. The Astonishing was astonishingly bad. Just awful Listened once, tried again but put the CD back in the case and stuck it in the rack. No idea what they were trying to do. I do wish Portnoy would return because I do feel they are lost without him. Let's hope they come back with something amazing. I have followed them all their career and seen them on every tour but the last time I saw them in Cardiff, I very nearly fell asleep. A downturn is always inevitable but hopefully, they are the way back up again because I do love this band ;)

Biosphere's recent reissues of Patashnik and Cirque. Top notch ambient electronica, something Scandinavians excel at, Biosphere being a Norwegian geezer.  Also the newie by The Orb, No Sounds Are Out of Bounds, which is mostly dub-heavy electronica with some bass ting by Jan Wobble

At the mo -  Steely Dan, Randy Crawford, Stevie Wonder,  Devlon Lamarr , Parliament, Commodores ,  Hall & Oates.. since we're covering some of these bands tracks

Edited by fleabag