Why become a member? ×

What are you listening to right now?

Sarah5string

I've just discovered Ginger Wildheart, after going to a brilliant gig of his on Sunday night.

Currently digesting his new country-tinged album "Ghosts in the Tanglewood" and waiting for delivery of "Year of the Fanclub" which I understand is the physical album bringing together the best of his crowdfunding music project from a few years back.

Good lyricist and musician, good storyteller and great turn of phrase, and always nice to hear someone singing in their own regional accent too!

• 2 weeks later...

I've always liked Paradise Lost and have bought all albums from Draconian Times onwards. When I first bought "Faith Divides Us - Death Unites Us" I  thought it was OK, put a few of the songs on my Best Of Paradise Lost playlist and then pretty much forgot about the album as a whole. Anyway, this week I put the whole Faith Divides Us album on play on a long car journey and was completely blown away by it. A great combination of light and dark, heavy and soft, melodic and brutal. Their most recent album "Medusa" might be a bit too dark and gloomy for some tastes, similarly the recently re-released "Host" and "One Second" might be too poppy for others, however "Faith Divides Us" is a great example of how all the elements that Paradise Lost have become known for over the years can come together to make a great album. 

• 3 weeks later...

Years ago I had a tape with 6 acoustic tracks by billy bragg on that someone had given me, including the only acoustic version of 'The Few' and a great version of 'tank park salute'. I lost the tape around 1996 when I moved to the states, and have been looking for versions of the few for year. The other day I thought I would have another look and found this, which includes 3 of those tracks, so I was really happy.

I picked up a guitar and tried playing Tank Park Salute - found it still causes me problems trying to sing it clearly. My dad died in 1996, and it still brings everything back even after this time. One day I will play it somewhere!

• Like 3

Backwater Roll Blues Band "Live at the Platform" – I discovered them at Scarborough Blues Festival last month. High-energy young guys with consistently good walking basslines.

They’re playing at Buxton Blues in August, well worth seeing if you're into the blues and in the area.

The original demos of songs written by Paul McCartney and Elvis Costello in 1988 for Macca’s ‘Flowers In The Dirt’ album. Some of the songs ended up on McCartney albums, some on Costello’s later albums, some never saw the light of day at all. It’s stunning stuff, and I think it ranks amongst McCartney’s best post-Beatles work. Buried treasure indeed...

Third Eye Foundation / Wake The Dead. The usual dread from matt Elliott, albeit with less of a D&B feel. The low end on this thing is pretty insane though. I think I'm about to have a big fall out with my main band and I'm trying to decide if I care or not.