Why become a member? ×

Zoom B3/MS60B compressors vs dedicated pedals

funkle

Hi all

Just getting a little deeper into compression and effects in general recently. Didn't see the need for compression until I tried it out on my Zoom B3 and found I liked what it did to the sound and evenness of tone.

I've mostly been using the dbx160a model in the Zoom B3 and really like its subtle, clean, but slightly fattening effects. The other compressors seem cool too though some are considerably more 'squashy' - cool effect though for some things.

How do the compressors in the Zoom pedals stand up to the standalone pedals? (Markbass Compressore, Empress, Cali76, etc)... Ovnilabs hasn't done a review yet of the B3 compressors so your thoughts would be appreciated...

Pete

I think the consensus will be that a dedicated stomp box compressor will be better than most integrated compressors found within a multi-effects unit, HOWEVER if you like what you hear and the B3 in-built compressor you're using adds rather than detracts from the sound of your bass then I say just carry on using it...

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1403394921' post='2482404']
I think the consensus will be that a dedicated stomp box compressor will be better than most integrated compressors found within a multi-effects unit, HOWEVER if you like what you hear and the B3 in-built compressor you're using adds rather than detracts from the sound of your bass then I say just carry on using it...
[/quote]
+1

I've the B3 and have recently bought a MXR M87 (I'm sure that number is right?!?).

I've found it way easier to dial in and manage especially as i run the B3 in a loop (through a LS2).

I guess it depends on your rig setup and what else you have got going on. Like others have said, if it is working for you then stick with it!

I just wanted to get a sense from everyone if separate compressors are so good that I should consider moving on from multifx. The answer looks like 'it depends'.

Has to be said though, the Zoom's built in paraEQ and and Fishman Pre models on the B3 are really useful, and the high pass filter on the Fishman model is difficult to get without buying an actual HPF (eg thumpinator, etc). I also like a number of the effects and amp models and general utility for practicing/recording. So I'll maybe let my GAS for a pedal compressor relax for a bit.

Software has come a long way.

[quote name='funkle' timestamp='1403447756' post='2482734']

the high pass filter on the Fishman model is difficult to get without buying an actual HPF (eg thumpinator, etc).

[/quote]

Hmmm.... so this works like a Thumpinator? brill if it does.

I used a fair few of the compressors on the B3, but overall I think my fave was the D-Comp (MXR Dynacomp clone). Just a tad on the settings, left on all the time, gave a nice presence. Yes, some lows lost, but when using a compressor as an on all the time pedal, just up the lows on the amp.

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1403448077' post='2482738']
Hmmm.... so this works like a Thumpinator? brill if it does.
[/quote]

Yes, it does. Adjustable high pass filter in the Fishman model (Ac Bs Pre) which has already saved my sound once on a very boomy wooden stage in a nightmare venue (the Caves, Edinburgh). I think I ended up cutting most stuff below 100 Hz or so!

Still didn't save the overall sound there though.

Edited by funkle

No worries Rumple.

This link has some very useful Zoom info re: EQ and high pass filtering. http://www.talkbass.com/threads/zoom-ms60-b3-para-eq-help.999053/

Here is a direct link to the Fishman manual, which tells you how the HPF operates on the actual Fishman pre and on the Zoom emulation of it. http://www.fishman.com/files/pro_eq_platinum_bass_user_guide.pdf

The relevant bit of the manual says:

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]The HPF is 12 dB/octave, and range can be moved from 15 Hz (at 5:00 position) to 125 Hz (7:00). [/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]'Depth:[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Tighten up your sound, or dial out deep-bass feedback with the Depth control. The Depth control works hand in hand with the Bass control to bring out tight and articulate lows:[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]1. Start with the Depth turned up full (5:00) with the EQ set flat on your bass amp and/or PA.[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]2. Set the Bass control to full boost.[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]3. Play the bass and back off the Depth (counter-clockwise) until you hear the sound tighten up,[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]usually between 9:00 and 1:00.[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]4. Re-set the Bass slider to taste.'[/font][/color]

• 3 years later...

This thread is just what I have been looking for.

I have both the Zoom B3 and the Zoom MS60-B. I was thinking of getting an actual compressor, but them remembered the options the Zooms gave me. As an always-on compressor, which of the Zoom-simulations would you pick?

I am not slapping or popping, just looking for an even sound and tone - but fattening up the tone a little bit, wouldn't hurt anyone.

Hope to find a useful simulation, so I could spend the money on strings instead of an actutal compressor pedal.

Thank you

On 6/22/2014 at 15:35, funkle said:

Has to be said though, the Zoom's built in paraEQ and and Fishman Pre models on the B3 are really useful, and the high pass filter on the Fishman model is difficult to get without buying an actual HPF (eg thumpinator, etc).#

Sorry for the thread hijack, but which pre is the fishman on the B3? I don't see it here.

Edited by Badass

On 18/02/2018 at 10:26, isteen said:

This thread is just what I have been looking for.

I have both the Zoom B3 and the Zoom MS60-B. I was thinking of getting an actual compressor, but them remembered the options the Zooms gave me. As an always-on compressor, which of the Zoom-simulations would you pick?

I am not slapping or popping, just looking for an even sound and tone - but fattening up the tone a little bit, wouldn't hurt anyone.

Hope to find a useful simulation, so I could spend the money on strings instead of an actutal compressor pedal.

Thank you

I personally really rate the compressors on the Zoom B3 and MS-60B, and think they are among their strongest features. My personal fave for subtle compression and tonal fattening is the M-Comp model. No significant tonal colouration and it works really great with in the band mix. I've played through a couple of dedicated stomp box compressors that didn't perform half as well as the M-Comp model, IMO, IME etc. The Dyna comp model also sounds great to me and I love the squishy tone from the optical comp model (can't remember what it's called now xD). 

I've had good results with the other models too, the only one that I wasn't too keen on was the Dual-Comp model as it had a massive mid-scoop. It might work well for slap stuff but like you, that's not something I really do either. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Zoom comps are good-to-go IMO.  Two things where Zoom has missed the boat (For a long time) are:  WET/DRY blend, and LEVEL meters for viewing gain reduction.  That said, though the comps are a bit touchy an tricky to dial in, I find them to be satisfactory vs. many garden-variety dedicated comps, but with a few exceptions.  For example, the TC SpectraComp (and other comps with computer interface that also implement the TONE PRINT feature) allows you to use a computer for extremely deep editing, since it is a true 3-band multi-comp, with each band having a full complement of parameters. It is really, REALLY deep in terms of features.  This is hard to beat at this price point, but you really need a thorough understanding of multi-band compression or it's very easy to get lost.

• Like 1