Why become a member? ×

Best apps for creating a setlist and storing sheet music

ML94

Hi guys,

I've got a lot of PDF's printed out that I lug around from band to band and now it's just getting a little tedious. I've got an iPad and know that some people use an App for creating a set list from there PDF's or JPG's.

Could someone reccommend me a set list app which will allow me to import my PDF, JPG and name the music so I don't have to search for hours where it's gone. Easy and user friendly and that will skip pages ASAP on stage lol

For me it's Forscore, it's pretty much the only reason I own an iPad.
It also can have a foot controlled mouse / up down button plugged into it so you can change pages without missing a beat.
Worth every penny for me and does exactly what I need it to.
You can also organise and set up setlists for gigs or practice regimes etc.

Edited by bluesparky

OnSong. Though I have had a couple of PDFs I mainly have chord sheets from text files which makes it easier to change key if needed.

Also now that I have an Behringer iS202 I can slot my iPad 2 in it and use it as a modelling set up (JamUp Pro) and have chord sheets on as well. The iS202 also lets me use a MIDI foot controller to adjust OnSong and/or JamUp.

I purchased Set List Maker not long ago, thought I'd share my thoughts on the App.

Unlike PauBass, I don't rate the App highly, here's why:

Overall the App feels clunky and dated, it hasn't really moved on much I suspect and embraced what's happening in user interfaces these days. It relies on lots of drop down menus and fiddly data screens, which is fine on a desktop with a mouse but doesn't feel very nice on an iPad.

Finding what you want can quickly become frustrating, screens are too many clicks away from where you are, nothing really flows. Then try navigating on the fly in the middle of a gig and it's not pretty.

I've found the import options are hit and miss, for example, if you import your setlist as a Playlist from iTunes it omits some of the data fields, the lyrics being one of them! Extremely annoying when you've spent hours copy & pasting them in!

Importing spreadsheets/CSVs also proved haphazard with data not appearing how it should, and then you get into the problem of trying to delete the damn thing. Key functionality in an App should be obvious to the user, not buried deep in screen hierarchy.

And that brings me onto the Help function. Basically it takes you to a very outdated looking web page that immediately looks like a chore to read through. All the info is there but it's a bit like the App, hard to find what you're looking for.

Setting up a set list is also frustrating, it should be easy and obvious how to split sets into two or three, it's not. And for an App that's called Set List Maker it should be!

[quote name='Mark Dyer' timestamp='1403204114' post='2480828']
I purchased Set List Maker not long ago, thought I'd share my thoughts on the App.

Unlike PauBass, I don't rate the App highly, here's why:

Overall the App feels clunky and dated, it hasn't really moved on much I suspect and embraced what's happening in user interfaces these days. It relies on lots of drop down menus and fiddly data screens, which is fine on a desktop with a mouse but doesn't feel very nice on an iPad.

Finding what you want can quickly become frustrating, screens are too many clicks away from where you are, nothing really flows. Then try navigating on the fly in the middle of a gig and it's not pretty.

I've found the import options are hit and miss, for example, if you import your setlist as a Playlist from iTunes it omits some of the data fields, the lyrics being one of them! Extremely annoying when you've spent hours copy & pasting them in!

Importing spreadsheets/CSVs also proved haphazard with data not appearing how it should, and then you get into the problem of trying to delete the damn thing. Key functionality in an App should be obvious to the user, not buried deep in screen hierarchy.

And that brings me onto the Help function. Basically it takes you to a very outdated looking web page that immediately looks like a chore to read through. All the info is there but it's a bit like the App, hard to find what you're looking for.

Setting up a set list is also frustrating, it should be easy and obvious how to split sets into two or three, it's not. And for an App that's called Set List Maker it should be!
[/quote]

We have different opinions then :)

I find Set List Maker very easy to use, it might not be the most appealing interface but it's OK, in my opinion that is.

I've had no trouble importing anything so far and using it live it's a joy. Create your setlist, click perform and away you go. You can jump to the next song manually, automatically when the song finishes or use one of those Bluetooth pedals to change pages.
I have mine set up so when in perform mode, I have the list of songs for that gig, I click on the song once and it opens the score, when the song finishes, it closes the score and I'm back on the list of songs. Although the list of songs runs as it will be performed, I like to go back to the song list in case the singer decides to call a different song.

I use mine for 3 different bands, and it's proven to be a very handy app.

Edited by PauBass

I've found igigbook to become my most used app! Scan in or upload the PDF files that contain music, create notes on the spot, create a set order and you can even assign backing tracks to the dots you have (haven't used that yet!). It's a doddle to use but does come with a hefty (for me) £10 price. But is worth every penny!

[quote name='PauBass' timestamp='1403511785' post='2483272']
We have different opinions then :)

I find Set List Maker very easy to use, it might not be the most appealing interface but it's OK, in my opinion that is.

I've had no trouble importing anything so far and using it live it's a joy. Create your setlist, click perform and away you go. You can jump to the next song manually, automatically when the song finishes or use one of those Bluetooth pedals to change pages.
I have mine set up so when in perform mode, I have the list of songs for that gig, I click on the song once and it opens the score, when the song finishes, it closes the score and I'm back on the list of songs. Although the list of songs runs as it will be performed, I like to go back to the song list in case the singer decides to call a different song.

I use mine for 3 different bands, and it's proven to be a very handy app.
[/quote]

Oh I'm not disagreeing with you mate, if you like it and are happy using it that's cool, I just wanted to give the flip side to the review.

I will persevere with it no doubt, as I've paid for it and got my database in place now. There's no doubt it does the job, but it could be a whole lot nicer user experience.

I might sound a bit picky about it but my day job is designing UIs amongst other things so I feel justified in criticising the usability somewhat. I have some beautiful designed audio Apps on the iPad, where the interface is a joy to use, Setlist Maker isn't one of em'

And the worst is yet to come, I need to teach the vocalist how to use it at some point, wish me luck...

Another vote for OnSong. You can import a variety of formats, plus download songs sheets. Very easy to make it transpose songs into a different key with a couple of clicks. You can have almost unlimited set lists, which are easy to edit and move songs around

Edited by davehux