Dear guest,

Welcome to the biggest community for bass players in Europe. You'll find the site a great source of information and advice.

Why not sign up now and:

• Say hello - tell us about your playing, your gear and where you're from.
  • Search the database for inspiration or to find out more about your instrument
  • Upload an avatar and profile picture
  • Buy one of the thousands of items in our marketplace
  • Safely sell your items to a community of proven enthusiasts
  • Upload pictures, audio and videos
  • Buy exclusive items at discount through our shop (coming soon!)

Go on, click the button and become part of it today!

Sign in to follow this  
MoonBassAlpha

Blues Baby

Has anyone bought, tried, built one of these yet?
I'm really tempted after my experience getting the Retro Tone upgrade on my Sessionette, even though I'm not playing guitar in a band and already have 2 guitar amps...

http://www.award-session.com/bluesbaby.html

They are now offering flat-pack cabinets for them too! The temptation is becoming unbearable! I've got a 70's Greenback I could use too, which is one of the speakers they reckon works well...

I would love them to issue that as a chassis-build kit - bag of parts, printed chassis, instructions, and off you go!

He won't do that as he is trying to recover his development costs.
Understandable really. I imagine dealing with d.i.y cock-ups would be a right pain too. Nobody would want to get into that!
Same reason he didn't do the Retro-tone upgrade as a bag of bits too.

Fair enough, although I have sent them an email on this topic.

Quite tempted to get one of these and close off the open sides of the chassis with aluminium sheet, then use it as an emergency backup to my guitar amp, or for jams etc.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1403266609' post='2481307']
I would love them to issue that as a chassis-build kit - bag of parts, printed chassis, instructions, and off you go!
[/quote]
From what I've read of them you could do worse than one of these [url="http://www.ampmaker.com/store/home.php"]http://www.ampmaker.com/store/home.php[/url]

Do they do a cab design where the controls are on the front panel rather than on the top?

Top mounted controls are fine if you need to fit in power valves and are trying to save space and/or money on the cab construction, but otherwise they are hangover from the early days when no-one knew much about speaker placement on stage and seemed to be content to have them on the floor pointing at their knees and ankles rather than in a manner that makes them easier to hear.

As soon as you mount a combo with top facing controls on a suitably high or tilt-back stand you make the controls less accessible.

Not at the moment, it was always designed to fit straight into a Blues Junior cab, but nothing to stop you making your own (barring the necessary skills, of course!)

They're just trying to fake the look of a Fender tweed amp, hence the layout. No reason that chassis couldn't be turned round to face forwards, since there's no valves to worry about.

IIRC amp controls were originally top-mounted & rear-facing so you could place it on the front of the stage to use as PA and see what the settings were from behind.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1402760559' post='2476619']
Has anyone bought, tried, built one of these yet?
I'm really tempted after my experience getting the Retro Tone upgrade on my Sessionette, even though I'm not playing guitar in a band and already have 2 guitar amps...
[/quote]

Old thread bump - did you end up taking the plunge? Anyone else tried one? Like what I've heard online and seriously thinking of recommending one to my guitarist.

I have one of these and think it's great. I've always preferred solid state amps for reliability and scored a lovely tweed Bluesbaby. A pine cab and Jensen neo speaker means it's the lightest guitar amp I've had. It's not the loudest amp if you want a clean tone for gigging, but the tone is very nice.

[quote name='kristo' timestamp='1446117307' post='2896981']
I have one of these and think it's great. I've always preferred solid state amps for reliability and scored a lovely tweed Bluesbaby. A pine cab and Jensen neo speaker means it's the lightest guitar amp I've had. It's not the loudest amp if you want a clean tone for gigging, but the tone is very nice.
[/quote]

Thanks Kristo - what sort of band setting have you used it in? Checked your Owl & Wolves page (very cool) but not a lot of electric guitar going on in those clips. If it is that band that it isn't loud enough for then it won't work for my guitarist.

Cheers,
Mike

I've only used it for jams (with full drums and other guitars), I don't gig on electric guitar at the minute, just acoustic or bass. It's loud enough, but I like a bit of crunch when I dig in. If I just wanted a clean tone it's not quite loud enough, but a more efficient speaker might change that.

I didn't go for it in the end as I got the little Ashdown 15W bass amp which works nicely with guitar.
Since there is little chance of me gigging on guitar in the near future, I can't justify another amp on top of the Retrotone Sessionette and Trace Super Tramp 100W which never gets used nowadays.
Doing the lightweight thing is exactly what I would have done though, but with my 10" Celestion neo bass speaker, or one of the aforementioned Greenbacks I have access to.
Glad it's working out well for you Kristo.
MBA

ANother revisit to the thread - saw on Facebook this week that a more powerful version is now in the pipeline.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1457775397' post='3001660']
What's the story Kristo? Did it not work out for you in some way?
[/quote]

Not at all, it's a great amp, but I haven't played electric guitar for months so it's sitting unused. I play bass in one band and acoustic/resonator in another. I've decided that it's time to move on stuff that's sat unused.

I really like the idea of these. I prefer to do the single channel and control the gain from the guitar thang and if these can do it without the weight, hassle and price tag of a valve amp I might be interested at some point :)

(Not now though...I have no money) :D

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1458125910' post='3004870']
I really like the idea of these. I prefer to do the single channel and control the gain from the guitar thang and if these can do it without the weight, hassle and price tag of a valve amp I might be interested at some point :)

(Not now though...I have no money) :D
[/quote]

Yeah, they are great using just the volume knob; that's what I do.

Just noticed they've brought out a 45 watt version! AND they offer the amp chassis or full combo now with customisable finish. Yeah baby!