Why become a member? ×

SOLD - Holy Cow - It's another Bat Bass!
£275

TimAl

[size=5][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]Hello there all,[/color]

[color=#000000]I started a thread yesterday about my Bat Bass on this hallowed forum in the Basses section - but because I mentioned it was going up for sale the thread was removed, then subsequently edited & relisted by the mods because it was viewed as too much of a sales pitch - so I'm listing it here to gauge any interest . . .[/color]

This is a truly unique bass built by myself as I've always liked the idea of decoupaging an old Batman comic onto a bass, & this one is a genuine 1971 comic.

In a nutshell, the process involves cutting out the comic & sticking it all over the body with PVA glue & then spraying clear lacquer over the top to give protection. I also commissioned a unique engraved scratchplate plus a bespoke headstock decal that's also lacquered & looks quite the part!

[color=#000000]This Bat Bass uses a Squier body & all electrics (bought from [/color][b][color=#282828]Mark_88MPH [/color][/b][color=#000000]on this very forum) with a non-branded relic'd maple neck with truss road adjustment from the heel. [/color]

This is NOT a new bass & it was finished by hand so it does have some marks to it, along with the odd crease where the comic has been wrapped & stuck to the edges of the body - which is only natural! - but nothing at all that affects its playability! I'm sure this would not be your 'go to' bass but it certainly works & sounds like a P should!

In my own little world I've listed how much I believe this bass is worth to me - but I am open to serious offers. I would positively encourage you to come & visit to see him in the flesh, so to speak, to make sure you're totally happy with him before parting with any lolly. I'm just outside Bedford & work from home, so am pretty flexible with timings. If that's not possible for you I'm more than happy to securely bubble wrap & box up if you wish to arrange your own courier.

Payment by PayPal 'Gift', bank transfer, or good ole fashioned cash in hand - plus no trades, swaps or magic beans please.

All comments - both positive & negative - are most welcome.

Cheers
Tim[/font][/size]

Edited by TimAl

Thanks guys - much appreciated that it's being received so well.

Much to my delight I've just picked up a Flying V bass, so Bat Bass III is looking a distinct possibility, unless anyone has any other ideas for themes?

At least there'll be no issues with headstock decals with that lil beauty :facepalm:

Karlfer - nice to hear from you - that EQ pedal has done wonders for Mrs TimAl's loathing of bass through the kitchen ceiling during practice!

Commissions are possible - but really I see it as an 'ad hoc' thing - whenever I come across a bass that is suitable AND reasonably priced I'll go to town - I think a Viz one would be rather cool, plus perhaps some brand of strong alcoholic beverage - but early days. Agreed about paper bag, may have to rethink headstock logo & change it to 'Faker' . . .

[quote name='TimAl' timestamp='1402685220' post='2476027']
Karlfer - nice to hear from you - that EQ pedal has done wonders for Mrs TimAl's loathing of bass through the kitchen ceiling during practice!

Commissions are possible - but really I see it as an 'ad hoc' thing - whenever I come across a bass that is suitable AND reasonably priced I'll go to town - I think a Viz one would be rather cool, plus perhaps some brand of strong alcoholic beverage - but early days. Agreed about paper bag, may have to rethink headstock logo & change it to 'Faker' . . .
[/quote]

I was actually thinking discreet would want a Razzle version :lol:

Edited by karlfer

[quote name='binky_bass' timestamp='1402767218' post='2476676']
I have the pleasure of owning the 1st one you did of these and its uber cool!! We have a 'hidden' track on the back end of our album called 'people of gotham' dedicated to my bass :) love it!
[/quote]

That's a great story! :)

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1402683435' post='2476000']
Tim I think you need to start taking commissions for these jobs :P
Mind, if discreet approaches, you may have to send it in a brown paper bag :lol:
GLWTS, great job.
[/quote]

Trust you to lower the tone :rolleyes: :P

binky_bass - that's brilliant - nearly bought a tear to my eye (in a manly way, obviously) - thank you! Would love to hear it if possible.

You Tube vid - well, there's no real need I think as it's desperately simple if you have a bit of patience: Disassemble bass; rub down finish; cut out comics & stick to bass body with PVA glue; more generous coatings of PVA to seal & give a smooth-ish finish; rest for a week; spray with lacquer; repeat numerous times; rest for two weeks; polish & wax - reassemble!

Again, thanks all for kind comments.

[quote name='TimAl' timestamp='1402906463' post='2477635']
You Tube vid - well, there's no real need I think as it's desperately simple if you have a bit of patience: Disassemble bass; rub down finish; cut out comics & stick to bass body with PVA glue; more generous coatings of PVA to seal & give a smooth-ish finish; rest for a week; spray with lacquer; repeat numerous times; rest for two weeks; polish & wax - reassemble![/quote]

Thanks