Why become a member? ×

Keeping Gear safe in a car

bassist_lewis

Hello!! On Saturday it has transpired that my wedding band is going to rehearse our dep drummer in Glasgow then go on to our gig (also in Glasgow) my concern is leaving all mine and the guitarist's gear plus our PA speakers parked on the street for 3 hours. Anyone got any tips on deterring opportunistic thieves?
Cheers

No particular order...

Have a friend or relative stay in the car (with a good book..?).
Idem, but a Doberman (without the book, though...).
Park up by a police station
Get the car towed away; the pound will keep it safe for you.
Cover the whole car with a tarpaulin or car cover
Place a ribbon cordon around it, with 'Radio-Active' stickers
Stating the obvious to say that the items inside should be covered over, preferably with grubby old sleeping bags and empty McDo detritus. Optional vomit (joke shop, maybe..? Seems a shame to use the real thing...)
Hope this helps; it's a big risk, Glasgow or elsewhere. :(

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1402595316' post='2475178']
No instruments will be left in the car will they? That would be crazy. Other gear can possibly be covered up/squeezed into the boot. Take a gig bag and prepare for a sore shoulder.
[/quote]

Taking our guitars into rehearsal. There'll be 2 1x15 speakers, 2 amps and a bag of cables left in the car

In a multi-story car park, back the car up against a concrete wall so that the boot can't be accessed at all. Another wall on the passenger side preventing the opening of [i]that [/i]door will help, too. Don't overdo it and scrape the paint off the car

([i]Allowing passengers to descend and remove stuff you want, before this manoeuvre, is best[/i]... :mellow: )

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='bassist_lewis' timestamp='1402595694' post='2475185']
The singer has just informed me there is a multi-storey car park up the road from the rehearsal room, safest bet I think.
[/quote]
[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1402596279' post='2475190']
In a multi-story car park, back the car up against a concrete wall so that the boot can't be accessed at all.
[size=4][/quote][/size]
Don't leave your car in a multi-storey car park. It's wrong on so many different levels...

Edited by discreet

I've had gear robbed from a car before - got distracted and forgot it was in there. You'll feel lilke a tit if you can arrange a lift to the jam or just hump it out - if its omly two speakres and two amp along with guitar/bass its not that big a job and you'll have a three hour rest before you load it in again :) Oh and get some Snickers to keep your energy up!