Why become a member? ×

Strings!

+1 for the [url="http://wiki.basschat.co.uk/info:buying:strings"]wiki[/url]

Long time ago, I used Rotos. They were great until I had a dead G straight out of the pack. Bought another set from a different shop, same thing. So I changed to Elites instead, used them for ages until bugger me if the same thing didn't happen again :) 2 dead Gs. Wandered in the string wilderness for a bit (tried Labella Slappers, hated them) until I started using Status Hotwires. They were brilliant, but then I found Warwick Red Labels. Not to everybody's tastes, but they're as cheap as blazes and I love 'em. The .130 B in particular is superb.

DR Hi beams at the moment - I'm very impressed. Almost looking forward to them wearing out do I can try the DR Sunbeams or Fatbeams.

Also looking forward to the Hi Beam flats coming out to try on my P bass.

Hamster

Well... I`m not quite sure what brand exactly, but I`m using some kind of Czech-made 100-45's that are sold in a local store. Their cheap, they last decently enough for the price (10 eu) and are really good for playing heavy metal (these strings have this nice warm sound), like Iron Maiden and Accept. But when i want to do something more jazzy/funky i put on some DARCO`s 95-40's and I`m on my way

On my Urge Mk 1 (32") I currently have D'addario nickel half flats (ground wound) - the ERN71 set (100 - 45).
This was an attempt to mellow my sound out a bit as I found that with round wounds I was constantly playing with the treble backed right off, and it worked treat. I love the sound of them, and although they felt a bit odd at first (sort of sticky) that either went away within a few days, or I've got so used to it that I don't even notice anymore.

I had previously tried some heavier strings (Elites), but I didn't get on with the heavier gauge tension-wise, and it still didn't give the sound I was after.

On my other Urge Mk1 (Mex) I think it still has the original Fender strings on, though I don't know as it was bought second hand. These are round wound, but seem to be quite mellow, and I'm fairly happy with those sound and tension wise. Are Fender strings known for being fairly mellow, and lowish tension for the guage?

Used loads of strings in the last 30 years- still unsure. Recently used Rotosound- seems fine and then changed to Daddarios nickel- felt just the same but a little more tension. Recorded the band with my H2 at a rehearsal and they sound great!! Couldnt really tell the difference on my own but they really cut through and are nice and warm in a band environment- I sound like Marcus Miller!! I use the Marshall VBA valve amp and an old peavey 2X10 with the ubiquitous Marcus Jazz. Play mainly in Soul bands.

As someone said before, strings are the most important part of the bass.

I have been playing for years 21 and have developed a certain style so the balance of tension and feel are critical for me to be able to play the way I want to. This is why I use Optima gold strings 45, 60, 80, 100. They are my perfect gauge and have the taughtest G string without being overly stiff but then again, someone else trying my bass might find them too high tension for their style.

£45 on evilbay but £18 from thomann. I've had mine on since last December and have no plans for changing them either. They're not superbright but they are perfect for helping get my sound.

Unfortunately, finding the right string for you can be very time consuming and expensive. Even if you find the right sounding one, it may not be the ideal gauge for you.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='246156' date='Jul 23 2008, 02:47 PM']Unfortunately, finding the right string for you can be very time consuming and expensive. Even if you find the right sounding one, it may not be the ideal gauge for you.[/quote]

And even if you find the 'perfect string' you'll probably find that 6 months laetr you want something slightly different again.

+1 for the DR black beauties!

I've got them on my Corvette $$ 5er, and my Highway One Jazz.

Brilliant!

I get them from elderly instruments in the US.

$29.35 for the four string, or two packs for $52.70
$37.75 for the five string, or two packs for $68.50
$10 for postage, and they arrive within a week.

Bargain!

I think this is the first strings thread I've seen where 90% of the replies didn't say TI Jazz Flats.

Last time I used juststrings.com their overseas postage charges were horrendous because they quote for a courier service. If you email them, they'll give you a price for standard airmail, which makes the deal much better. That was a while ago though, so may be different now.

Thomastik Infeld (TI is easier!) Flatwound Jazz bass strings - smooth, flexible, easy on fingers, top quality, sound great on a P bass or a Rick for classic rock/punk as well as funk/soul and reggae. Only thing they are no good for is slapping as not bright enough.

I have them on all bar one of my basses. Not cheap but you get discount if you buy several packs from StringsDirect on-line

Edit: just spotted SpinyNorman's post "I think this is the first strings thread I've seen where 90% of the replies didn't say TI Jazz Flats." ooops!

Edited by Clarky

I am a man of expensive tastes, But not through choice! I am a huge fan of new string Zing, I love it. However is very expensive on the wallet.

I use Optima Golds, Fantastic strings, However when they die they die fast!
They are also very expensive.

For a working mans string i use Overwater Custom Gauge Stainless steels, Ultra light gauge We're talking 100-85-55-35-25 But only if its a 35Inch scale, otherwise its 105-90-70-45-30

Edited by Shockwave

[quote name='spinynorman' post='247043' date='Jul 24 2008, 05:00 PM']I think this is the first strings thread I've seen where 90% of the replies didn't say TI Jazz Flats.[/quote]

TI Jazz Flats are great, I've got a set on my Precision! I love them, but I can see that they're not going to be to everyone's taste.

I use Webstrings detroit nickel for cooking strings - www.webstrings.com. I bought 3 sets and they worked out about 7 quid a set, though I'd be tempted to follow that link posted earlier and try some DRs for 10 quid a go, seems like you can't go wrong at that price.

Dammit if I didn't just have to go and look at a spare set to find out!

... Ernie Ball Regular Slinky's. I just look for the yellow day-glo packet!

I tried a lot of different strings when I first started playing a lot. I have used EB's for about 20 years because:
- They hold their tone for ages
- They are available in most music shops
- They don't break (often)
- They don't corrode (if you remember to wipe the beer & sweat off after playing)
- They don't break the bank

Not the cheapest strings, but definately value for money considering the length of time they keep their tone.

Of course, now I have a fretless I need to find some decent (& affordable) flatwounds...

I seem to have gone full circle as regards strings. I started with stainless steel 18 years ago then thought I had found the holy grail with nickle's (that played in sound IMO). then Roto jazz flats and on to tru bass (which I still use one one of my basses). Not long ago I bought a 5 string and the only cheap 5 string set I could get in a hurry were some Elite steels. They sounded great but I didn't really put it down to the strings I thought it was the bass. Until I put some Nickle's on and the bass sounded a bit naff, a bit ringy. Now I've bought a Warwick which their website says is fitted with Black labels (steels), I'll be using steels on the Dolphin rather than anything else.

I've been using Rotosound Swingbass rounds for forever on most basses, but in the last couple of years have converted to Status Hotwires for my Status basses & have just ordered some DR fatbeams for my Marcus Miller Jazz. Looking at the pricing, I may try some of the Sadowsky strings next for my Precision & Jazz basses.

My ultimate choice would be DR's (Sunbeams or Hi-Beams) every time. I usually get my brother in law to bring me some when he pops over from the US. Like others have already said, they sound so full and phat, but with just enough zing that just lasts and last and lasts. I've even had one set in use for nearly a year and I'm not someone who likes the flat string sound.

I've recently converted to EB's on my Stingray. Lovely vibrant sound that seems to last pretty well.

I like the sound of D'Addario's but the fact that the B string isn't long enough on a 35" scale is a tad annoying.

Rotosound - too rough on fingers and frets

Elites - sound pants new or old and I hate silks!

Hotwires (Status) are pretty nice sounding, but they don't seem to maintain their tone for as long as DR's.

So DR's if I have money and EB's if not.

That's my two-penneth!