Why become a member? ×

Wahey! Another "what combo" topic!

Evil Undead

Inspiration for the title taken from another currently active thread ;)

In my seemingly never ending search for the perfect combo, I've now (after about 3 years!) narrowed it down to two.

Small story - I need it for mainly home practice but want the option to use with a band if I ever go that way again, which I'm sure I will.

Both TC Electronic, the 112 or the 208

The 208 is lighter for moving around the house, and has external speaker out. I have a 112 cab I could add for a band situation. Gregor from basstheworld.com describes it as more like a toy, but it's got 250W and the features I could want. Minor annoying point is that the aux in and headphone jacks are underneath the back of the head.

The 112 would be louder on it's own (too loud for my flat possibly but maybe not loud enough for a gig?), but is heavier and has no external speaker out.

Thoughts?

Good afternoon, ED...

I've not seen nor heard either of these combos, but from your description of your needs, and having looked at a couple of videos, I'd say it's pretty well a 'no-brainer': the 208 ticks all the boxes, it would seem, although I'm not sure about pricing. Fine for apartment use, easy to transport, extensible if necessary, and a balanced DI. No, it can't sound like a Hiwatt stack, but who wants that in their living room, anyway..? :rolleyes: Approved. :)

Edited by Dad3353

Unless you need the extra knobs of the 112, the 208 seems like the necessary choice as long as its the only one they make with the speaker ourput. Sfar as I remember, all the other ones come with the many knobs amp, and only the 208 comes with the trimmed down version, but I may remember incorrectly.

I had the 208 very briefly and it showed some promise given its price tag, but sadly it was faulty and because there were other reports of people having similar issues I decided to just stump up the cash and buy the Minimark that I actually wanted rather than get a replacement. I can't write a valid review after a couple of weeks of owning a defective unit, but if I did, it'd say that it wasn't very loud given its stated output (especially compared with the Minimark) and is surprisingly heavy for what it is and not a particularly comfortable carry over any distance. The DI out sounded nice, but needing it in a very tame rehearsal with two mic'd singers and one acoustic guitar wasn't all that great.

Can I maybe add another option to the quandary?!?

I haven't used an amp for home practice for year's, I use a mixer with headphones and I can add whatever music source I like (usually tablet or phone). It's a cheap set up that packs away nicely, I don't disturb anyone and I can take it to work when I'm on nights.

Then you could have time to decide on a gig rig should you start playing in bands.

[quote name='Ed_S' timestamp='1402549345' post='2474629']
I had the 208 very briefly and it showed some promise given its price tag, but sadly it was faulty and because there were other reports of people having similar issues I decided to just stump up the cash and buy the Minimark that I actually wanted rather than get a replacement. I can't write a valid review after a couple of weeks of owning a defective unit, but if I did, it'd say that it wasn't very loud given its stated output (especially compared with the Minimark) and is surprisingly heavy for what it is and not a particularly comfortable carry over any distance. The DI out sounded nice, but needing it in a very tame rehearsal with two mic'd singers and one acoustic guitar wasn't all that great.
[/quote]

Oh. That's interesting and worth bearing in mind. Thanks for your feedback

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1402563361' post='2474753']
Do you already have a small-ish amp head? If so, use that with a small 1x12. TKS in Sweden make nice lightweight ceramic loaded cabs for a good price, and the GK Neo112 II is s a good price.
[/quote]

I'm only considering combos at this stage but thanks for the suggestion.

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1402570770' post='2474843']
Can I maybe add another option to the quandary?!?

I haven't used an amp for home practice for year's, I use a mixer with headphones and I can add whatever music source I like (usually tablet or phone). It's a cheap set up that packs away nicely, I don't disturb anyone and I can take it to work when I'm on nights.

Then you could have time to decide on a gig rig should you start playing in bands.
[/quote]

Thank you for your reply. This was an option I considered but decided against it - I already have a silent set up but I prefer to use speakers where I can.

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1402698296' post='2476212']

Thank you for your reply. This was an option I considered but decided against it - I already have a silent set up but I prefer to use speakers where I can.
[/quote]

Cool, there's a TC BG500 in the fs forum might be worth a look, not the smallest combo but certainly gig ready.

As an owner of an original BG250 with the 15 inch speaker, I would go for the 112. I have gigged it loads and it is loud enough for any pub gigs. As it has the same output as the 15, although a smaller speaker, it should cope ok. The 15 weighs 16kg and is ultra portable, so the 12 won`t weigh any more. The speaker will be a 4ohm one so you are getting full power and that is why there is no speaker out option.

It is also great for plugging in the phones and computer for silent practice. My advice, buy the 12 and sell the external cab.