Why become a member? ×

Which Fender-Style Bass Would You Order?

molan

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1403366015' post='2482168']
If you do stock a sonic blue fender with matching headstock, I'd better stay away from your shop
[/quote]

You definitely need to keep away - they already have one of these in the shop!

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1403257457' post='2481183']
Oh I see, are these not Fender basses...I misread it!
[/quote]

I got the wrong end of the stick too, I thought it was Fender Custom Shop basses and nearly exploded when I saw they were under £1000

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1403269930' post='2481366']
I will hazard a guess at D Lakin?
[/quote]

I hope not, I was really interested in these but the D Lakin headstock is the ugliest thing I have ever seen. Also there seems to be a lot of moaning about them over TalkBass.

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1403368416' post='2482191']

I got the wrong end of the stick too, I thought it was Fender Custom Shop basses and nearly exploded when I saw they were under £1000

I hope not, I was really interested in these but the D Lakin headstock is the ugliest thing I have ever seen. Also there seems to be a lot of moaning about them over TalkBass.
[/quote]

Sorry about the confusion - I hoped the 'Fender Style' bit would differentiate these from actual Fenders.

I do actually have to place the next order for Fender CS soon and am alread planning to use the ideas here to help formulate what we ask for :)

Unfortunately the CS instruments come in between £2K and £3K depending on spec :(

I also saw the TalkBass stuff about D Lakin. One long thread that mostly said "these are Fender clones" with people either saying this was good or bad.

Another one that ran to over 18 pages saying that the first bass shipped was badly packed! Whilst I totally agreed that it was indeed not acceptable packing, I did see that Dan Lakin immediately apologised and offered to replace it. Couldn't believe this warranted 18 pages of people saying the same thing over and over again - makes you realise how nice it is here on BC :)

I also saw another review on TB where the owner was really happy. This one ran for a while one page, partly because it's newer but maybe also because there was nothing to moan about and they do like a good moan over on TB!

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1403380103' post='2482294']
I much prefer the Carvin over D Lakin basses. I have no objection whatsoever to non-US outsourced gear, but the prices the D Lakin basses are for a bass made in Indonesia, without even a high quality gig bag, is insane. I'd just get a Classic Vibe and upgrade the pickups.
[/quote]

I could be wrong but my understanding is that the D Lakins available in Europe will come with decent gig bags - don't believe everything you read in TalkBass :)

Also, they are made at a top quality builder in South Korea not Indonesia. I have seen some TalkBass mentions of Indonesia but pretty sure they are Korean.

Not much between them as I'm sure there are good and bad builders in each country but in general terms 'made in South Korea' is a pretty good quality mark these days :)

Edited by molan

Victor Bailey Jazz Bass.
[url="http://www.victorbailey.com/gear.html"]http://www.victorbailey.com/gear.html[/url]
http://www.edroman.com/guitars/fender/fender_artist/victor_bailey.html

Edited by jazzyvee

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1403372118' post='2482227']

Sorry about the confusion - I hoped the 'Fender Style' bit would differentiate these from actual Fenders.

I do actually have to place the next order for Fender CS soon and am alread planning to use the ideas here to help formulate what we ask for :)

Unfortunately the CS instruments come in between £2K and £3K depending on spec :(

I also saw the TalkBass stuff about D Lakin. One long thread that mostly said "these are Fender clones" with people either saying this was good or bad.

Another one that ran to over 18 pages saying that the first bass shipped was badly packed! Whilst I totally agreed that it was indeed not acceptable packing, I did see that Dan Lakin immediately apologised and offered to replace it. Couldn't believe this warranted 18 pages of people saying the same thing over and over again - makes you realise how nice it is here on BC :)

I also saw another review on TB where the owner was really happy. This one ran for a while one page, partly because it's newer but maybe also because there was nothing to moan about and they do like a good moan over on TB!
[/quote]

I didn't read carefully I should have noticed the fender style bit. I can't wait to see whatever custom shop Fenders you have coming in, fender CS stuff is causing huge amounts of GAS at the moment.

I finally got to the end of that thread on talkbass, to be fair to Mr Lakin is was a huge fuss over nothing, god they do love a good old moan over there! I am sure they will be great basses, the headstock is an aquired taste but then again I always loved the Alleva headstock which most people seem to hate, so I have odd taste.

Edited by NJE

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1403380594' post='2482298']

I could be wrong but my understanding is that the D Lakins available in Europe will come with decent gig bags - don't believe everything you read in TalkBass :)

Also, they are made at a top quality builder in South Korea not Indonesia. I have seen some TalkBass mentions of Indonesia but pretty sure they are Korean.

Not much between them as I'm sure there are good and bad builders in each country but in general terms 'made in South Korea' is a pretty good quality mark these days :)
[/quote]

I hope they are good, especially for the money. I've always found Lakland Skylines with finish flaws and generally rushed cosmetics. I've even played ones with misaligned bridges. I never bought one for that reason. Fender may not be perfect but at least it's easier to get a good one.

I Iike the Carvins though, and full respect for making their own gear in their own factory for a great price. That's why the Lakland/D Lakin idea of building just seems bizarre.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Thanks for all the ideas and pointers :)

As many of you guessed we did initially start this thread out in order to get some of your thoughts about the new D Lakin basses. However, as it moved along and we also thought we could use the information for other brands as well.

For various reasons, not least some of the comments here and references elsewhere, along with some concerns we had we've decided to pull out of the potential deal with D Lakin.

However, your collected thoughts will most definitely be used for two other brands that we're about to place orders with so huge thanks to everyone who contributed :)