Why become a member? ×

The Bugera BN410TS 1000w 4x12 Cab - anyone tried it?

Yorgo

Hi guys,

I'm in the market for a cab that can take my Orange Terror 1000 while also fitting in my car! I love the head and it sounds great through the EBS 8x10 I have in the studio, but gigging with EBS is a nightmare as it doesn't fit in my car and I can't afford to hire a van every time I want to gig, ha!

Anyways, I noticed Bugera have teamed up with TurboSound to offer this;

http://www.bugera-amps.com/EN/products/BN410TS.aspx

It looks good and by the sounds of it, will fit in the car and handle the Terror, my question is, as these are very new with not much in the way of reviews, has anyone tried it? I play in a doom band, so i'm looking for it to be loud and clear.

FYI - my signal path is this;

Ibanez BTB670 - TU3 - GEQ - COMP - DarkGlass B3K - Ringworm Ring Mod (hilarious pedal) - Terror 1000 - CAB.

Thanks in advance for any help,

George.

[quote name='Subthumper' timestamp='1402412082' post='2473185']
Very suspicious. Bet you can't buy a turbosound pa cab for that money that handles 2800 watts!!
[/quote]

I wouldn't be surprised if you could.... seeing as they are owned by the same company!

Never trust anyone who starts off with:

"2,800 Watts of powerful and authentic bass tone"

The cabinet can't deliver watts - it can only handle them (I realise this is a simplistic way of talking about this!).

I get a lot of enquiries in the shop I work at from people who ask how powerful a cab is because they somehow think the higher the power rating the louder it will go.

We had a Bugera 3,600w head in once. It was no louder than a 500w Aguilar, weighed about five times as much and sounded about ten times worse. Really, really unpleasant amp. I think we sold it for £60 including a rack case!

Thanks for the replies guys. I'd really like to try one but finding somewhere that stocks them in Glasgow may be difficult! TS have a great reputation in Sound Reinforcement, however, the comment regarding price is absolutely correct; they ain't cheap. However, Behringer own both companies now, so QC could be on the way out!

Has anyone got any recommendations of reasonable sized cabs which will cope with the Terror 1000?

Thanks again,

George.

Guest bassman7755

Generally if you see an and unqualified watts rating they are referring to "peak" so you can divide it by 4 to get a rough rms rating. Most behringer/bugera stuff is rated this way. Also you dont need to buy a cab that will "cope with" your amps rating - just one that is loud enough. You could get a second hand epifany or markbass 410 for that sort of money.

Edited by bassman7755

• 1 month later...

I thought this cab was a "root means square" 1000w? I think I'm going to wait it out until I find something second hand as per your advice though, the head deserves a nice cab to match it, love the sound through the EBS 8x10 in the studio, just don't want to have to lug that about!

Bugera & Turbosound are both Music Group (Behringer too). They are renowned for frankly ridiculous wattage ratings, just look at the iNuke series e.g. 3000watts is actually more like 400 per channel (and that is being generous).

The other thing to consider is how the handling figure is measured - it may be able to take the watts it says, but might fart out at the very low frequencies even at a lower volume due to the way the cab/drivers are designed.

But beside the power handling is the tone. You say you use an EBS 8x10. And that is a very nice cab by the way (as long as you have a roadie or two!). I can tell you with reasonable certainty that the Bugera will not sound as sweet.

Having said all that, I haven't tried one. It might be that they can produce an amazing cab for a fraction of the cost that everyone else can without sacrificing any quality at all. But personally I doubt it.

My recommendation would be go for something tried and trusted secondhand, (lots of people are ditching their big rigs these days so you could snap up something really tasty for that money) or get somewhere where you can try one of these [u]AT GIG VOLUME[/u].

Speaker power handling is more or less related to the voice coil dimensions. A 1.5" coil handles 100-150W 2", a coil 2-300W and a 2.5" coil 3-400W. These are AES ratings (which are soak testing with pink noise and a reasonable approximation of what they will get with heavy use). RMS ratings with a 1000Hz test tone will be similar but isn't really a sensible test. Almost no speakers will handle bottom E at anything like this power, but then this doesn't happen vry often unless you use heavy effects or bass boost. this is independent of what ever the manufacturers claims are.

The claim of 1000W is probably reasonable on that basis, the rest nonsense.

Behringer/Music group have clearly decided they are going to pitch at three separate price points. Honestly I think they have improved their quality control of late and others have had problems with Chinese manufacturers in this area. I have no recent experience of their current after sales support which used to be non-existent, whereas Hartke and Ashdown have been excellent.

Don't buy anything on spec though, you have to listen, you are aiming for a sound you like not bragging rights over your 3000W stack. If someone else comes up and says 'I have one of these and it sounds lovely' then go have a listen. Otherwise things that sound too good to be true....... :)

• Like 1

We have two Bugera valve combos supplied in our rehearsal studio and our guitarist will choose which one happens to be playing games on the night. One will refuse to give a clean sound or the other will not do distortion or both will be more interested in relaying the local taxi firms radio messages.

• 1 year later...

Personally I don't think you can fault Bugera. I have 2 bass amps that are brilliant and sound as good if not better than the amps they are copied from (Ampeg SVT Classic/Genz Benz Streamliner 900). I've just ordered their BT210TS cabinet and let you know how it sounds. Bugera/Behringer have never let me down, whereas my Ampeg PF500 PF210HE rig gave me nothing but grief.

I didn't go for their BN410TS because I already have a Hartke Hydrive 410 which is brilliant. One of these would be perfect for your Orange and second hand they are very reasonable. I got mine a while ago on ebay for £300. Lightweight too. :D :D :D

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Bass-Thing' timestamp='1453825836' post='2963176']
Personally I don't think you can fault Bugera. I have 2 bass amps that are brilliant and sound as good if not better than the amps they are copied from (Ampeg SVT Classic/Genz Benz Streamliner 900). I've just ordered their BT210TS cabinet and let you know how it sounds. Bugera/Behringer have never let me down, whereas my Ampeg PF500 PF210HE rig gave me nothing but grief.

I didn't go for their BN410TS because I already have a Hartke Hydrive 410 which is brilliant. One of these would be perfect for your Orange and second hand they are very reasonable. I got mine a while ago on ebay for £300. Lightweight too. :D :D :D
[/quote]
I've played my Bugera BVV3000 through the BT210TS and it sounds bloody amazing! As a rig it would look a bit comical because the cab is only a little bit bigger than the head but the sound is epic and it can handle all 300 valve watts easily. It's also fine with my Veyron Tube which is similarly specced to your Terror. The BT210 cost me £184 from here https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/bass-guitar-speaker-cabinet/bugera-bt210ts-2x10-1-000w-bass-guitar-speaker-cabinet and that is a major bargain. I think however you'd be fine with the BN410TS which you can get for a great price here: http://www.woodbrass.com/en/bass-cabinets-other-bugera-bn410ts-p185915.html :D :D

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1455303084' post='2978081']
Are you a rep?
[/quote]
No. It's just that after several years of being let down by brands like Ampeg, Trace Elliot, Hartke (not their cabs) and Ashdown, I've finally found brilliant amps and cabs that are ridiculously inexpensive.

Edited by Bass-Thing

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1455379663' post='2978633']
You say this from experience or merely following the herd?
[/quote]
Baaaaaaa.... :lol: Seriously though it's easy to understand why Bugera gear gets peoples backs up. They scrimp and save to buy the rig of their dreams and then along comes something just as good for a tiny fraction of the price. I feel the same way about spending a grand on a new American Marcus Miller Fender Jazz only for Sire to come along with basses supposedly just as good if not better, that only cost Squier Affinity money. Thing is my Marcus Jazz is a fantastic bass and I love it to bits.

I think the thing to remember is that with high end brand names, you are paying a lot for extensive research and development. Music Group don't spend any money on this (they just copy everything) so they can pass on the savings to the buyer. They also invest a lot in the quality of their gear and customer service. My experience of Ampeg's customer service however, is utterly dire. Whatever I only just noticed this thread was started about 2 years ago so it's probably all moot anyway. I really must get in a habit of using my reading glasses. :blink: