Why become a member? ×

Polychrome strings?

invicta59

Hi Dave,

Ha! top secret... well, I'm doing my best to change that! ;)

They're a new (metal wound) string I'm working on that are designed to be a true hybrid pizz/arco string. They have an old school pizz sound which is quite similar to the Honeys, though perhaps a little brighter; but the real change is in the arco response - they respond extremely quickly to the bow and squeak far less than just about any other string i've played.

They were designed for people like me (and probably many of us on here) who have come to arco quite late and could do with a little "extra help"... ;) though, that said, they're going down so well with the classical fraternity and the Philharmonia bass section - one of the best in the country (world?) are using them. I've also had cold calls from players who've depped with that orchestra asking where they can get hold of a set!.... which is nice... ;)

Cheers,
Daf

Edited by daflewis

Hi Hubrad,
Yes, these are the hybrid set that you tried - that was a while ago now though! Since then I've brightened the E a bit, raised the tension on the A a fraction and done a few other tweaks to even things out. Im still struggling with the G a little, but am hoping to have it sorted and all ready to go in the next couple of months (fingers crossed!) I know it's been quite a while, but there have been a lot of problems with sourcing the right core etc... hopefully it'll all be worth it! :)

Do you like the name by the way? it comes from the POLYmer core and CHROMEsteel outer windings and means multi-coloured - i was quite pleased with that :D

Thinking about it, I should change the title of the trial thread really, shouldn't I!?

How odd... I did search for polychromes to look for more info but nothing was returned, other than the mention in the ultrablack thread. Sorry for being rubbish at searching.

Maybe not something for an old slapper like me then, where bows belong on Christmas presents and Yorkshire terriers :) Just curious though, but is that metal wound like a roundwound, or a monel type flatwound?

Ha! Not odd at all - especially as I only added the "polychrome" label to the trial thread title about an hour ago and there's nothing else out there about them as yet... Sorry for the curve-ball there! :) but yeh, it's a flat wound string in the same mold as the old Monel ones.
:)

Edited by daflewis

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi All,

I hope this is ok with the mods as it's kind of answering a question - The Polychromes are now available!

I won't say any more as I don't want to push my luck on the site's advertising regulations... but if anyone wants any more info please just ask! :)

Cheers,
Daf

P.S. Hi Scott, So sorry I missed your question - I've not been around here for a while! Hope all's well with you :)

Edited by daflewis

Hi Hugh, hope all's well, it's been a while! :)
To be honest I haven't got a clue what you've got there!!😳😆
They could be earlier prototypes though - we went through a lot of wierd and wonderful silk colours trying to differentiate between the different versions... Either that or you're actually playing on 4 A strings... 😆

• 1 year later...
On 25/05/2017 at 12:25, invicta59 said:

Hi Daf,

I'd like more info please. Do you have any gauge measurements for them, just for comparison to the Silver Slaps I use?

Many thanks

P.S. Good to know you are still around :)

Oops!! “Good to know you’re still around” - Doh!!

so sorry, but hey, what’s 18 months between friends! 🤣

It’s probably a moot point now! - but i do have some guages lying around somewhere so I’ll take a look... though as a guide, they're a bit heavier than the silvers and definitely not as thick; but still lighter and thicker than most metal wound strings...

better late than never.,. 😬

cheers,

Daf 😊

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎06‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:40, daflewis said:

so sorry, but hey, what’s 18 months between friends! 

Nothing at all.  I've got friends that have owed me beers for a lot longer, and I see them most weekends!

Oddly enough I remembered this topic just a couple of days ago so looked them up. I see they've been available for a while so, as soon as payday arrives, I'll be having some of those. My current Silver Slaps have been on about 6 years now, so probably overdue a change :)

Regards

Dave

• 2 months later...

I'm eagerly awaiting delivery of a set of Polychromes to change the strings that came with my Strunal bass.

I have no real experience of double bass strings other than putting on a set of spirocores in the last decade on a crappy school bass I was given... But I chose these as they sounded nice on Dafs SoundCloud clips and because the strings are made in Wales. I'm not into patriotism but it's not often you find something musical being crafted in South Wales!

One thing I would add... Don't order from the innovation website if you want to get them in a hurry. They seem to use a third party system that has to locate the strings in a shop and then get them to ship them out. Been waiting since Thursday for them after being notified they had shipped. Hopefully they'll arrive eventually!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi attackbass, 

Thanks very much for the comment and for trying my strings! Sorry I’m a bit late with the reply, but I trust you’ve got them ok by now, in which case I hope you’re enjoying them...  f not and you’re having a problem, then please let me know as I have some in stock.👍

cheers,

Daf 

On 25/01/2019 at 17:36, daflewis said:

Hi attackbass, 

Thanks very much for the comment and for trying my strings! Sorry I’m a bit late with the reply, but I trust you’ve got them ok by now, in which case I hope you’re enjoying them...  f not and you’re having a problem, then please let me know as I have some in stock.👍

cheers,

Daf 

Hi Daf,

Well the strings never did arrive and when the shop that was fulfilling the order tried to send out a replacement set they were told by the distributor that the guy who made the strings was no longer making them, and they were looking for somebody else to make them. 

Don't know how much of that is true, but they refunded me straight away. Maybe you will have a better idea?

I was going to just buy some spirocores but have been too busy to sort it out. If there is a way of purchasing a set of polychromes please let me know.

Cheers

Will 

• 1 month later...
On 04/02/2019 at 20:28, daflewis said:

yep, that is absolutely true - they’re currently in talks to sort something... 

Hi Daf.. do you know if 'something' did get sorted? It would be a shame to lose Innovation strings - they've kept me in business for about 15 years

Hi Dave,

yes, there is something afoot... I’m not sure how much I can say, but something fairly solid has happened which, if all goes well, should put Innovation on a solid foundation for the future... 

I’m away for a few days, but when i get back I’ll check with the company and see if I can be a bit more specific... 👍