Why become a member? ×

Playing with my fuzz boxes (video comparison)

IBWT

Hi guys, I´ve made a wee video comparing my bass fuzz pedals. These are:

Malekko B:assmaster
Way Huge Swollen Pickle MK II
EHX Bass Big Muff
CalzAmps Fuzzonetti (Woolly Mammoth clone)
Crowther Audio Prunes & Custard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Jgt559HvoI&feature=youtu.be

The audio has been retouched only to even the levels (these pedals have tons of gain).

I played my Fender Road Worn Jazz Bass P+J tuned BEAD and strung with 110-90-65-45 chromes. The loop is played back by a TC Electronic Ditto.

Hope you like it!

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1402091204' post='2470081']
Very cool! All very different. I'm off to search for more about the prunes and custard, that sound very interesting.
[/quote]
It's a unique pedal , with a few different sounds to it

Thanks guys for your comments! I really appreciate them :happy:

The BBM is the one I like the least... although I recon it might be useful for Sabbath tones and such. It's bassy but in a way I don't really like... just too muddy (my bass is quite muddy itself because of the tuning and gauge). The low end on the Pickle is just awesome, I can't get tired of it. Once you switch it off you instantly miss that sub bass and wish it could work as a clean bass boost.

The Prunes & Custard is probably my favourite, but it's not one that you can use as a "normal" fuzz box, because of the filter-like warble.

The biggest problem with the Bassmaster is that the volume is just insane. I had it leveled in the video because it made the clean demo unaudible if I normalised all the audio as a whole.

Edited by IBWT

The BBM sounds great if you do the master volume mod to reign in the volume in dry mode and run an overdrive before it!

I have the new nano version on the way, hopefully it'll be just as easy to mod, I'll add master volume, mids control, and a feedback switch.