Why become a member? ×

What Covering do you prefer on your cabs?

Jean-Luc Pickguard

I want to get a lightweight cab fairly soon. Top of my list of possibles at the moment is a Schroeder 1212 Lite. This is available as standard with a carpet covering or direct from Jorg Schroeder with a hard "Rhino" bedliner material covering.

After today carpeted cabs won't be coming home with a nasty smokey stink clinging to them, so that disadvantage no longer applies. Also the Schroeder 'Rhino' cabs are available in different colours.

Given the choice what does everyone prefer their cabs of any brand to be covered with?
What do you consider the pros & cons of carpet covering/tolex/etc?

Years ago, had a very tatty old Ampeg 8 x 10. Band I was in 'voted' for it to be recovered with fake tiger skin fabric!
Looked cool though :)
Thinking of doing it again this time with possibly zebra skin - if/when I can find an old cab.

My Trace Elliot combo green carpet positively hums! :ph34r:
Contemplating getting the Vax on it.

• 4 weeks later...

We're smole free here too! Even tho I smoke-about 5/day- I didn't appreciate all the gear stinkin of beer AND smoke-toxic mix!!!! Also we're up onstage-2' above everyone else-so we were in the THICK of it re smoke etc...
I DO like good quality carpet covering. I made a few cabs & stuck indoor/outdoor 'charcoal' coloured carpet to 'em- has lasted 13 yrs so far-NO niks etc- gigging 1/2 x per week.
But what ever is the rhino-LIKE-dunno whether it IS RHINO covering-doesn't look like it from the photos I've seen of Joeg's schro's- stuff thats covering my Fender Bassman 300PRO-THATS the GO- SO tough, durable, looks cool feels good..... ;-) Anyoneknow what that stuff's called- or if, in fact it IS rhino hide- Please let me know!