Why become a member? ×

NBD - Limelight Jazz Bass 1960 YOB *Spitfire Guard!*

discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1403920609' post='2487801']Hey Paul, PM your email addy. [/quote]

Sounds [i]very[/i] nice indeed! I think the proof is very much in the proverbial pudding. A properly fat and growly jazz tone. Love it!

Nice choice of song too :)

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1403963174' post='2488122']
Very similar to Mark's except, 1963, black, heavy relic..........um, quite different when I think about it.
[/quote]

almost certainly similar enough to attest to limelight quality though yes ;)

Edited by andydye

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1403972351' post='2488241']

almost certainly similar enough to attest to limelight quality though yes ;)
[/quote]

I'd have thought so...core sound is the same. Just waiting for the hot wires to be delivered but you're welcome to have a go on the stock strings.

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1403983201' post='2488342']
I'd have thought so...core sound is the same. Just waiting for the hot wires to be delivered but you're welcome to have a go on the stock strings.
[/quote]

Sounds superb, can you drop me a pm when you've got the new strings settled in bud and we'll arrange summat :)

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1403990158' post='2488403']
...getting seriously itchy over ordering my own!
[/quote]

You mean you haven't?? The longer you leave it the longer the lead time will get!

Edited by discreet

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1403990158' post='2488403']
Still waiting for someone with a limelight P to upload some tones ;) getting seriously itchy over ordering my own!
[/quote]

Looks like you'll be waiting til I get mine. I'll PM you if I'm the first to get something recorded with a link :-)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1403990365' post='2488411']

You mean you haven't?? The longer you leave it the longer the lead time will get!
[/quote]
Not yet no :( I keep delaying it to purchase new CDs and other bits and bobs that take my fancy, plus I'm still unsure whether to trade/sell my 4003...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1403990365' post='2488411']

[/quote]
Not yet no :( I keep delaying it to purchase new CDs and other bits and bobs that take my fancy, plus I'm still unsure whether to trade/sell my 4003...

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1403993986' post='2488456']
I keep delaying it to purchase new CDs and other bits and bobs that take my fancy, plus I'm still unsure whether to trade/sell my 4003...
[/quote]

The cycle of GAS is eternal. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1404028998' post='2488548']

The cycle of GAS is eternal. :)
[/quote]

Not for us all! I've decided my limelight will be my penultimate bass. I know what I like now and I've decided that my next (and final!) bass will be a custom build and then that'll be the end of it. After my limelight shows up and I've given samples to anyone who wants them, I'm going to spend more spare time engaging with music (home recording, practicing more, writing again etc) and leaving this forum for good (as it seems to be my biggest distraction and only cause of GAS!) :-)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1404028998' post='2488548']The cycle of GAS is eternal. :)
[size=4][/quote][/size][quote name='skej21' timestamp='1404030903' post='2488567']
Not for us all! I've decided my limelight will be my penultimate bass. I know what I like now and I've decided that my next (and final!) bass will be a custom build and then that'll be the end of it. After my limelight shows up and I've given samples to anyone who wants them, I'm going to spend more spare time engaging with music (home recording, practicing more, writing again etc) and leaving this forum for good (as it seems to be my biggest distraction and only cause of GAS!) :-)
[/quote]

Oh, you poor deluded fellow! You'll [i]never [/i]leave! I'm quoting this because I'll be bringing it up again and again, every time you trade, sell or buy another bass in the years to come. :D

[b]Bwa-ha-ha-haa-haah-haaaaaaaahhhh!!![/b]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1404034542' post='2488596']
[/size]

Oh, you poor deluded fellow! You'll [i]never [/i]leave! I'm quoting this because I'll be bringing it up again and again, every time you trade, sell or buy another bass in the years to come. :D

[b]Bwa-ha-ha-haa-haah-haaaaaaaahhhh!!![/b]
[/quote]

Not that long ago a certain discreet of this very parish mooted the thought of a name change.
May one humbly suggest "bucket of frogs" :ph34r: ;) :D

Edited by karlfer

• 5 weeks later...

Vintage Spitfire tort guard arrived via PorcelFarce this morning and it dropped straight in - perfect fit. Very nice job by Mark Townsend of Spitfire Vintage Tortoiseshell Pickguards, California, US of A.

[url="http://spitfiretortoiseshellpickguards.wordpress.com/"]http://spitfiretorto....wordpress.com/[/url]

Got hold of it today after paying PorcelFarce's pirate ransom (also known as import duty). I thought it was a global market now, but apparently that's only when it benefits certain people. Anyway, here are a few pics of the new guard fitted, and I think it complements the vibe of the bass very well indeed. It's very similar to an original 1960 Jazz guard, and Mark has even shown a bit of age warping here and there - and you can see that the truss rod notch is well worn from constantly having different-sized screwdrivers carelessly shoved in there over the last 50-odd years... not. ;) I'm very pleased and think it was well worth doing!! Recommended! :)

Edited by discreet

Thanks for the kind comments guys, I'm a very happy bunny for a few minutes. Mark at Spitfire is highly recommended if you want a period-perfect bit of proper tort for [s]your knock-off fake Fender[/s] your beloved, carefully-recreated replica bass. Icing on the cake. Or cherry on the cake. Something on the bloody cake anyway, I can't remember what. *Mumble*