Why become a member? ×

Slapping a 5 string- or shall I not bother!

Roxy

Hi, anyone with suggestions on how to competently slap on a 5 string please. Or if a non starter, any recommendations on a budget 4 string, perhaps a short scale, for slap and a bit of Victor/ Marcus type solos/ chord work in the privacy of my bedroom? I' m thinking of a short scale for my ageing fingers and just the pleasure of maybe getting a few of their great bits with out me having to pose with the right bass in my hands! Cheers

Just practice.

I can slap on a 6 string, it just takes practice that's all, make sure you're muting properly.

This guy here's playing a 5 string, though I have seen him slap on a 7, but can't find that particular video at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZc4zMVzyec

Edited by icastle
Link Fixed.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1401563603' post='2464856']
Just practice.

I can slap on a 6 string, it just takes practice that's all, make sure you're muting properly.

This guy here's playing a 5 string, though I have seen him slap on a 7, but can't find that particular video at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZc4zMVzyec
[/quote]

thanks - great vid. Of course, I remember the Marcus version and played it on a 4 string from the Joe Hubbard book. It's just that I get frustrated with the narrower string spacer on the 5 string. Did you learn from any books or just persevered by converting your 4 string technique to the 6? Cheers

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.

I'm at music college, but you're left to your own devices to get playing techniques down on your own particular instrument. Some students play 4 string basses some 5's. Tutors are pretty hot to point out ringing unmated strings too.

Just start slowly with a metronome, maybe 8th notes on 1 string at a time then start alternating strings.

It's a bit lazy I guess, but I use these too [url="http://www.gruvgear.com/fretwraps"]http://www.gruvgear.com/fretwraps[/url]

[quote name='Roxy' timestamp='1401573256' post='2464965']
thanks - great vid. Of course, I remember the Marcus version and played it on a 4 string from the Joe Hubbard book. It's just that I get frustrated with the narrower string spacer on the 5 string. Did you learn from any books or just persevered by converting your 4 string technique to the 6? Cheers
[/quote]

Try a Warwick Broadneck bass, 5 strings but with a normal 4 string spacing. A wider neck but very comfortable to play.

I find it easier slapping my 5 bass than my 4 string bass. I'm a groove player and don't do this frantic high speed stuff so keeping adjacent strings quiet is not that hard. For me I've learnt to lightly touch the unplayed strings with fingers that are not playing notes. It's just something you need to be conscious of as you are learning and soon it becomes automatic. String spacing is an issue depending on your fingers and thumb and more so if you want to do double thumbing.
Jazzyvee

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1401651066' post='2465587']
I find it easier slapping my 5 bass than my 4 string bass. I'm a groove player and don't do this frantic high speed stuff so keeping adjacent strings quiet is not that hard. For me I've learnt to lightly touch the unplayed strings with fingers that are not playing notes. It's just something you need to be conscious of as you are learning and soon it becomes automatic. String spacing is an issue depending on your fingers and thumb and more so if you want to do double thumbing.
Jazzyvee
[/quote]thanks for the advice. Did you start slapping on the 4 string first? If so, how long long did it take you to convert. Sorry for the questions but which 5 string do you prefer to slap on? As I'm an oldie now (and I dont want this to sound lazy) but don't feel I've got the time to spend ages to slog away slowly on a 5 . I was a passable slapper 10 years ago on 4 string playing the easier Mark King/ Marcus Miller licks. Cheers

[quote name='jimbobothy' timestamp='1401650434' post='2465580']

Try a Warwick Broadneck bass, 5 strings but with a normal 4 string spacing. A wider neck but very comfortable to play.
[/quote] thanks for our advice, much appreciated.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1401577842' post='2465027']
I'm at music college, but you're left to your own devices to get playing techniques down on your own particular instrument. Some students play 4 string basses some 5's. Tutors are pretty hot to point out ringing unmated strings too.

Just start slowly with a metronome, maybe 8th notes on 1 string at a time then start alternating strings.

It's a bit lazy I guess, but I use these too [url="http://www.gruvgear.com/fretwraps"]http://www.gruvgear.com/fretwraps[/url]
[/quote]Thank you. I hope your studies are going well and you're enjoying everything . All the best

[quote name='Roxy' timestamp='1401728865' post='2466269']
thanks for the advice. Did you start slapping on the 4 string first? If so, how long long did it take you to convert. Sorry for the questions but which 5 string do you prefer to slap on? As I'm an oldie now (and I dont want this to sound lazy) but don't feel I've got the time to spend ages to slog away slowly on a 5 . I was a passable slapper 10 years ago on 4 string playing the easier Mark King/ Marcus Miller licks. Cheers
[/quote]

I must emphasise that although I can slap a bass, It is not the major part of what I do as a bass player and so I don't do the kind of mark king style stuff or the mad stuff that was going on around the bass in the 80's. I think the only thing I play that falls into that category is Marcus Miller's version of What Is Hip?.
I started learning tracks that require slap on a 4 string because that was the bass that I had. I don't use 4 string bass a lot these days and so it's usually on a 5 string bass. I don't have a preference between 4's or 5's so I choose depending on the track and whether it's easier on one bass than another. All my basses have the same string spacing except one 5 string bass and all have different amounts of space between the end of the neck and the neck pickup. Regular slapping is ok on all of them except if I want to do double thumbing for a particular song then i try to avoid sing the narrower string bass. I can do it on that bass but it's more difficult to keep the string noises quiet. Due to the neck pickup positions it also means I use slightly a different version of double thumbing when using each one which is a pain if I forget which bass I'm holding at the time.

I would say that whichever bass you use will have it's challenges and you will get used to that one if you persevere. Enjoy the practice
btw if you want a real easy time go for a 4 string short scale bass and lighter strings gauges.

Edited by jazzyvee

If you are a 5-string player then you should learn to slap on your fiver - no point buying a 4 string just for that. As others have said, it's no big deal - just practice, and a bit of additional string damping to do - or you could just buy a hair scrunchy, as many excellent 5-string players use. Here's Ida Neilson, for example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPer4MQEUo0

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.

Fender 5 string spacing is wide enough so go for one of their better basses.
Be prepared to spend some decent money as the B st on a 5 is what defines the bass, IMO.

Critcal things are a consistant spacing, good action and great sounding B...as less than good B
strings sound even worse when slapping.
And no...no way round putting the time in.... as they are too many people who do that and sound like
everyone else...or worse, Flea..!!!

Thanks to you all for your helpful advice. I forgot to mention I've played a Wal 5 string for 10 years, but got frustrated trying to slap on it - I admit I didn't persevere. Any thoughts on the ease of giving the Wal a try again.?

Clean up the strings and go lighter...certainly if you play softer.
Slapping sounds awful with dull strings and tired and clunky strings just makes
it harder than it should be.

Low action and get the bounce with thumb and pat going on the E... that should tell you if the bass is set
up well enough for slap.

There are a whole host of new takes... IMO.. on the technique so stay away from the older cliched guys
as you sound too samey.
Contempory listening to Freddie W is good as he is THE tasteful guy, IMO.
Newer sounds and styles are more spikey and violent ...so someone like Jerry Barnes is good.

If you want to sound old skool... please don't.. :lol: then go to the usual suspects .... :huh:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...