Why become a member? ×

Metal vocals . Is there a definitive answer , to who started the angry dog syndrome?

[quote name='megallica' timestamp='1401696503' post='2465818']
I bought a compilation called Metal Killers from Woolworths in the 80's and Venom's "song" black metal was a bit of a shock to the system.

Venom were releasing albums back in 1979 - which makes them the original black/death metal as far as I know.
[/quote]
While introducing heavier vocals Venom just does not do the proper death grunt. Musically yeah, but the question was vocals :)

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1401698682' post='2465848']
I prefer the Doom Metal that came along a little later based on the original Sabbath type music......Candlemass were great with Messiah Marcolin on vocals.
[/quote]
The bass player for the rather excellent doom band Serpent Venom is a really nice bloke. They have a new album coming out this month, too.

Venom inspired a lot of the thrash era bands, as did a lot of punk bands from the late 70's/early 80's. Pretty sure there were a few other NWOBHM bands that had a similar vocal style, but can't remember their names (old age).

Thrash was the start of the gruff/growly vocals, but that also inspired the next wave of Death Metal & hardcore punk in the mid to late 80's, which is where the style became de-rigeur (Napalm Death, Extreme Noise Terror, Doom, Carcass etc)

when I saw 'angry dog' vocals I thought it was more about the last ten years of these caustic metal-core singers. The guy from Converge is possibly the first most OTT singer I'd heard. Awesome as they are live (and their You Fail Me album is great for calming down to!) I cannot stand that vocal style. Luckily that kinda 'Metal' is more about fashion and posturing than music, and so it will end, cyclically.

If you're talking about Death Metal vocals I guess the band Death and Venom were the originators. UKHC/Punk took punk to the next level.

Everything is influenced by what went before. For me it would help to clarify what 'barking dog' vocals are? Thrash bands were rarely vocally aggressive in a growly fashion, it was Death Metal that was more growly.

and I'd agree with Phil/Pantera bringing the 'aggro' but that was also more image and posture as well as vocal style. Sadly that macho BS is still hanging around.

Before everyone started doing the higher pitched thing, the low roar was the done thing in heavier bands... until nu metal came along and everyone started singing properly combined with the higher pitched scream type jobby.

With the growly vocals I always prefered the louder and clearer verison (kinda like Max from Sepultura) where you just pushed your voice to a distortion, rather than the type where you basically spoke in a low rumble and had the mic turned up really high... always thought the former carried more power.

I used to give it a fair go back in a death metal band I was in when I was 14....

Edited by CamdenRob

What about Sepultura? They started around 1984 but I guess that means Venom top them (1979)

Personally, as an original hard rock fan, heavy metal was a change of emphasis that was further comnpromised by speed metal and death metal before the extreme metal and doom metal thing diluted the idea further. I have to acknowledge that I haven't got the faintest idea what I am talking about but, then again, when did that ever stop anyone posting?

What about Lemmy? He has a naturally raw voice, and even if you only count from Motörhead onwards, you're still talking 1975.

I like a lot of old death metal, but I don't like this new core stuff, there's no depth to it, it just sounds like shouting.

I also believe that I am one of only a handful of people that actually likes Dani Filth's voice. Though obviously that's a more black metal style.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1401805241' post='2467044']
I also believe that I am one of only a handful of people that actually likes Dani Filth's voice. Though obviously that's a more black metal style.
[/quote]

I couldn't stand anything about Dani Filth.... awful man.

I knew the Ryan brothers in the early day of cradle. Just about everyone in the Essex metal scene ended up in that band at some point.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1401805241' post='2467044']
What about Lemmy? He has a naturally raw voice, and even if you only count from Motörhead onwards, you're still talking 1975.
[/quote]
This. And I don't think you can have a discussion involving Venom without mentioning the immense debt they owed Motorhead.

Jon.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1401805975' post='2467054']
I couldn't stand anything about Dani Filth.... awful man.
[/quote] He's incredibly short - I once rested my pint on his head at a London club about fifteen years ago. He wasn't amused, but it did at least stop the singer from my band from sycophantically fawning all over him.