Why become a member? ×

Spector basses

action_panzer

I've played a few of the Korean Spectors (assuming they Koreas like you (I'm just considering the cheaper ones)). They were good but I definetely prefer my Warwick Corvette (which I actually got cheaper than the Spectors!

Edit : I will say if you are going for a fully bubinga bass (i.e Corvette) be prepared for the weight of it. I believe mine is just shy of 6kilos

Edited by Cameronj279

[quote name='action_panzer' timestamp='1401397112' post='2463337']
They look like decent reasonably priced Warwick style basses....
[/quote]

Warwicks (Streamers anyway) are Spector style basses, not the other way around. They nicked the shape from Stuart Spector.

Just sayin'..... :)

I've a tribute sixer and for the money it's an excellent instrument. Pickups are it's weakest suit... a little boomy but easy to sort out with EQ.

Plays great though and did straight out of the box.

The sixers seem to go used for about £400 for a mint one so a bit less for a 4 or 5... I'd say a bargain really.

It's bloody heavy though...

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1401400882' post='2463389']
Warwicks (Streamers anyway) are Spector style basses, not the other way around. They nicked the shape from Stuart Spector.

Just sayin'..... :)
[/quote]

Thanks for clearing that up for me! As I was writing it I was thinking "...I bet I've got that the wrong way round...". Good to know!

If pickups are the weakest trait, they can be swapped out quite easily.....

All Spectors are well-made, great-sounding instruments. The Korean models are outstanding value and can be picked up on here for less than £400. They look, sound and feel a lot more expensive than that! B)

At the weekend i tried a few spectors in a shop: a euro 4LX TW, a european rebop, and a higher end korean (legend?). All two humbuckers and 4 strings

Not much to pick from between the rebop and the korean (to my ears), but the 4LX TW absolutely blew me over. I have already started saving up for it.

£1700 for the 4LX TW, £1200 for the rebop, and about £550 for the korean one.

I have a lovely natural quilt Korean one for sale over here

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/227464-spector-legend-4-natural/page__p__2429175__hl__spector%20natural__fromsearch__1#entry2429175"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/227464-spector-legend-4-natural/page__p__2429175__hl__spector%20natural__fromsearch__1#entry2429175[/url]

£385, based in Nottingham.

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought a Spector Rex, and being a jazz bass guy, it was a complete revelation. I am going to sell my Sadowsky because of that. More expensive is not neccesary better, you can find something cheaper that suits your needs.

I had a Korean made NS2000/5 and it was a lot of bass for the money. Through neck, sustain for days, punchy tone, played really well. Wasnt a massive fan of the high mid/treble response from the EMG HZ pickups, quite harsh, but besides that it was an excellent bass.

• 2 months later...

I've only played a few spectors. A local shop had a couple of rebop basses which tbh I thought felt cheap and didn't sound very good. Then at a gig I was at I was invited up to play a bit of bass and the chap was using a Euro4. It played beautifully. Full of growl and sustain.
Recently I bought a white Euro4LX from bass direct. A special edition SE5. It's a wonderful instrument. Beautifully built. It's got a real quality feeling to it.
I think it's one of the best quality basses I've ever played maybe even better than my Aria SB-R150 Which is just over 30 years old yet stills feels almost new.
Good luck with your quest (older Warwick Streamers are nice too)

Haven't played one, but watched some videos and was blown away by the Euro LX. The tone is so thick and dark, I just love it. Mike Starr (R.I.P.) of Alice In Chains used Spectors, and the bass tone on 'Would?' is awesome imo.

I read somewhere that they have fat necks though, which would sadly rule them out for me.