Why become a member? ×

NBD - controversial Fender content

theyellowcar

I took delivery of my new pride and joy yesterday. Many of you will have heard me ramble on about how impossible it is to get a Surf Green Precision bass off the rack from Fender, and whilst that may be true, may I present to you my Surf Green Mark Hoppus 'Jazz' (Precision) bass! Complete with a picture of me looking like a smug **** while I was playing it for the first time.

I don't think I need to say a lot about the bass itself - it's a raucous, aggressive sounding Precision in truth - the neck is straight up Precision, the pickup is a Quarter-pounder (also straight up Precision) it just happens that it's all screwed together in a sleek, lightweight Jazz-shaped shell.

It's the business!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6q0gy22y1dt266c/2014-05-27%2022.06.29.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oon19jjbao8lltg/2014-05-27%2022.05.54.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qlv27f2rweta0ny/2014-05-27%2020.19.09.jpg

Edited by theyellowcar

I've definitely noticed a bit more 'chunk' compared to my other Precisions which I would put down to the reversed pickup.

@JapanAxe - I don't use the tone control that often on my other basses - I tend to dial in any 'extra' that I need with my amp, so I think I'll be OK, but that was a mental hurdle I had to jump while I was entering my card details!

[quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1401308805' post='2462386']
I've definitely noticed a bit more 'chunk' compared to my other Precisions which I would put down to the reversed pickup.
[/quote]

The main difference will be the positioning of the pickup on the bass rather than it's "reversed" orientation. Measured from the 12th fret a std Fender P pickup (the middle bit where the two bits join) will be pretty much bang on 11 inches .
The Hoppus model has it much nearer the 12th fret, or further from the bridge, or however you want to explain it. I'd be interested in knowing the exact measurement (12th fret to middle of the two pickup pieces).

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1401310879' post='2462422']

The main difference will be the positioning of the pickup on the bass rather than it's "reversed" orientation. Measured from the 12th fret a std Fender P pickup (the middle bit where the two bits join) will be pretty much bang on 11 inches .
The Hoppus model has it much nearer the 12th fret, or further from the bridge, or however you want to explain it. I'd be interested in knowing the exact measurement (12th fret to middle of the two pickup pieces).
[/quote]

I'll get my tape measure out for you tomorrow :)

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1401313570' post='2462466']
I`m going to have to try one of these at some point - don`t suppose you`re coming to the Herts Bass Bash at all?
[/quote]

It's in my diary Lozz! I was planning on bringing a different Precision (Deluxe active) for the A/B showdown but I'm sure I could bring this instead!

Also, if any of you do happen to be interested in road testing one, Thomann not only have an incredible returns policy (30 days!) but they are currently selling the Surf Green model for less than a Standard Jazz currently goes for! I have no affiliation with them but my experience buying this has been spot on.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_mark_hoppus_bass_jazz_bass_sg.htm#bewertung

a few years a go I tried a variety of P basses in one sitting. The Hoppus was, to my ears, the best. Mind you this was before they flipped the pickup round.
Sadly it's my utter revulsion of anything Blink 182-related that stops me from ever seriously considering one, but that's just me being petty and small-minded. :D

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1401310879' post='2462422']
I'd be interested in knowing the exact measurement (12th fret to middle of the two pickup pieces).
[/quote]
Estimating it from this pic I'd say a bit over 3cm closer to the neck than a regular P

[attachment=163863:Hoppus pup position.jpg]

[quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1401346002' post='2462568']
It's in my diary Lozz! I was planning on bringing a different Precision (Deluxe active) for the A/B showdown but I'm sure I could bring this instead!
[/quote]

Both!