Why become a member? ×

Aguilar Tonehammer 500 vs Little Mark iii (or any other suggestions?)

knoxy26

Hey Guys,

I'm looking for a bit of advice/opinions of the Markbass Little Mark iii and Aguilar Tonehammer or anything else that you might recommend.

I've played both these amps at some point however never in a live situation, really liked both. I really just looking for a lightweight amp that will give me a phat sound, so if you guys have any other suggestions of things in a similar price range would be sweet.

I play a 5 string and theres a lot of low notes in my playing, so being able to sound big and fat whilst remaining defined in the low end is whats most important to me.

What do you guys think?

[quote name='winterfire666' timestamp='1401189013' post='2460894']
for me aguilar hands down over the mark bass,
but i would also consider the GK and dont overlook Carvins offerings they are fantastic value for money
[/quote]

Molan should be along any moment to big up the Carvin range :ph34r:

For me it'd be the LMIII. Higher output at 8ohms than the TH500, rack-mountable which means it gets flightcase for better protection when gigging abroad, has the VLE function which I really like and I don't feel aggrieved that I had to pay for a 'drive' function that I'd never use. Also, since switching to a European distributor, the prices seem to have shot up.

I do run my signal through a Tonehammer pedal prior to my amp though so it's probably not a fair representation of the true tone of the LMIII.

The LM3 will not push as much wattage as the TH500. The TH500 really will hammer out a lot of power (very honestly rated) and is quite mid orientated, with plenty of lows, but not lots of treble sheen.

The LM3 will sound more modern but will hit its limiter quite a lot earlier. It is more of a 'flat' tone with a nice warmth around the edges.

As the LM3 is now made in Indonesia but no cheaper, I would opt for a GK or the last of the GB Shuttle 9.2's if you want clean and modern. If you want warm vintage grunt and heft, the TH500.

The Carvin amps are also quite nice!

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1401193176' post='2460955']
The LM3 will not push as much wattage as the TH500. The TH500 really will hammer out a lot of power (very honestly rated) and is quite mid orientated, with plenty of lows, but not lots of treble sheen.

The LM3 will sound more modern but will hit its limiter quite a lot earlier. It is more of a 'flat' tone with a nice warmth around the edges.

As the LM3 is now made in Indonesia but no cheaper, I would opt for a GK or the last of the GB Shuttle 9.2's if you want clean and modern. If you want warm vintage grunt and heft, the TH500.

The Carvin amps are also quite nice!
[/quote]

So is the TH500 250w rating @ 8ohms louder than the LMIII 300w rating @ 8ohms?

Check out the Tecamp Puma 500. Honest wattage and modern tone. Also it is a plug and play amp with a very intuitive EQ. The Tonehammer is a very different beast, has oodles of power but is rolled back on the highs and is more about vintage tone. As always, if at all possible try before you buy

Edited by leroydiamond

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1401194019' post='2460965']
As always, if at all possible try before you buy...
[/quote]

This is really important. One man's national treasure is another man's Rolf Harris...
[size=4]Ideally you need to try amps in a band situation, but this presents logistical and other problems, I know.[/size]

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1401194381' post='2460972']
Too soon man... too soon!
[/quote]

[size=4]OK, then - Max Clifford.[/size]
[size=4]I'd like to make it clear that Rolf Harris denies any wrongdoing and his trial continues.[/size]

I`ve also been thinking of the TH500 as to get the sound I want I`m using a VT DI pedal through my Markbass (LMii) combo. Plus am thinking of a 212 to just keep in the boot of the car to save carrying too much gear about.

Only thing is, the LMii & VT DI sound so good every time I play through them, i then think, nah, not gonna change anything.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1401193639' post='2460959']
So is the TH500 250w rating @ 8ohms louder than the LMIII 300w rating @ 8ohms?
[/quote]

Nope, unfortunately not in this case. The TH will push harder at 8 and 4 ohms, and uses a power module used in 800 watt amps but without straining it.

I wouldn't worry about the stated wattage so much. My RH450 was louder/pushed harder than my LM3 at 8 ohms and we all know about the TC amp ratings!

The TH is a USA built amp that is so far proving to be pretty much bombproof in terms of reliability.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1401207897' post='2461210']

Nope, unfortunately not in this case. The TH will push harder at 8 and 4 ohms, and uses a power module used in 800 watt amps but without straining it.

I wouldn't worry about the stated wattage so much. My RH450 was louder/pushed harder than my LM3 at 8 ohms and we all know about the TC amp ratings!

The TH is a USA built amp that is so far proving to be pretty much bombproof in terms of reliability.
[/quote]

To be fair, my LMIII is from before the Indonesian days but I really like it and it's more than loud enough. However, the TH500 is calling as it'll match my Aggie cabs!

A used Genz Streamliner is a good one to try out too - warm, punchy and buckets of power. I'd love to give a GK Fusion a spin myself and the Tonehammer has always sounded good to me when I've heard one.

The GK Fusion is a great little amp. As Discreet says, as well as doing the famed GK sound it can be made really warm and old-school sounding. And very loud. I never had mine at more than about 10 o`clock on the volume as if pushed further than that - with just one 4ohm 410 cab - it was way too loud to use in a band setting. Or at least, the bands I was in at the time, both being punk so not exactly quiet.

This thread interests me as I am yet to try out an LM iii. However, last monday I did record a video review for the Aguilar Tonehammer and SL112 cabinet for Guitar Interactive Magazine. The review will be in a future issue. I was really impressed with the Aguilar. It's a very small head, lightweight and has an authoritative tone. I was impressed with the clean tone too. The SL cabinets are a good match. I think the MB will as suggested have that clean sheen in comparison. I've owned the F1 and it was a very 'tight' and clinical clean. I used a valve preamp with a pair of F1's to get a more aggressive tone. The TH I think will be a hit if you want a bit of mid bite in there too.

Other lightweight heads I have owned includes the TC RH450 that I feel is a bit long in the tooth now given that the GK MB800 I had for a while blew it out of the water in so many ways. (Sorry TC, love ya really - the RH750 was better!!!) I curve ball that I hope to be a good choice, although certainly not the lightest would be the Eden WT550.

Ideally, I would love Hartke to stump up a 'travel friendly' version of the LH1000/LH500 using an oversized AB power amp and worthy SMPS.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1401208102' post='2461212']
To be fair, my LMIII is from before the Indonesian days but I really like it and it's more than loud enough. However, the TH500 is calling as it'll match my Aggie cabs!
[/quote]

If I had an Italian LM3 I would be keeping it now...and adding the TH500 as well :P

I've owned quite a few of the heads mentioned here and, RH450 apart, they all work really well and most are surprisingly flexible.

My current gigging amp is the TH500 so I guess if have to say that's my all round favourite - although it's 'all change' tomorrow as my new Demeter VTB-M-800D has arrived - yippee!

Choice of cab can make quite a difference. Some of the little class D amps can be very clean and clear. In theory this should be a good thing but when paired with a modern neo cab this can get a bit harsh.

Conversely the heads that are specifically designed to be 'warm' can get a bit wooly sounding with a more conventional ceramic loaded cab.

One of the reasons I like the TH500 is that it just seems to work with so many different cabs :)

Edited by molan

[quote name='HotelEcho' timestamp='1401233064' post='2461603']
Where does the Orange Terror 500 fit into this conversation...?
[/quote]

Loudest of all of them. Cheapest, great UK service (my guitar Dual Terror had a faulty tube which I didn't spot for a while and they just sent me a new one, no issues) but more importantly, great Orange tone.

If you like a grunty, fairly aggressive and more 'tubes being pushed' tone, the Orange is one of the best out there.

Plus, it looks cool. Bonus.

I think we are relatively lucky to have a decent and large amp manufacturer based in the UK.

[quote name='knoxy26' timestamp='1401186314' post='2460844']
Hey Guys,
I'm looking for a bit of advice/opinions of the Markbass Little Mark iii and Aguilar Tonehammer or anything else that you might recommend.......
[/quote]

I think, go to Bass Gear or Bass Direct (I've used both and both are excellent) and try out your guitar through each of these amps and any others that they may have lying around - like those mentioned in the above posts, cab choice will be a key factor in the delivery from either amp and both of these outlets have a range for you to try.

Speaking from experience of using the LM3 - live: its great, send a pre eq signal to the desk and play around with the mids to monitor yourself - at rehearsal: Its equally good providing excellent tonal options and your required 'Fat' bass - Note I'm running in this into a single 15" + 6".

To try and sum this up, buy either of these amps and you won't be buying a 'pup' both have a long line of satified users, but you could buy a GK, Orange, Carvin, Tecamp and be equally satisfied.

Wow! Cheers for all the responses guys.

Im going to be running the Amp through a Barefaced Big Baby II.

Hopefully going to be able to go give these a go. I have been edging towards the Aguilar as thats what I am most used to, but now Im more interested in the GK and the Genz.

Its thats feeling that your always going to be missing out not matter what you get.... :huh: .