Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot - what happened to you?

Marvin

I presume that something must be happening soon. I've checked out a few websites, and new Trace Elliot gear is practically unavailable! I had feared that something bad had happened and that they were quietly going under. If instead they're preparing for a new product range, then that is truly great news!

I saw the MP11 referred to above...I am a proud owner of one! Amazing bit of kit, although I think technically it's more of a graphic eq than a pre-amp. I'd love to see this incorporated into a new class-D unit.

[quote name='M-Bass-M' timestamp='1412249476' post='2567104']

I saw the MP11 referred to above...I am a proud owner of one! Amazing bit of kit, although I think technically it's more of a graphic eq than a pre-amp. I'd love to see this incorporated into a new class-D unit.
[/quote]

Like an Ashdown Superfly? :)

I would like to think it'll be somewhat of an improvement over the Superfly..

Not an awful amplifer to be fair but maybe just a liittle ahead of it's time with regards to its power-stage..?

Not sure how they'd get the 12-band pre-amp on something the width of a car radio but I'm sure Paul has something up his sleeve..

Best of luck to them. :D

[attachment=172996:IMG_0967.JPG]

Here's a bit of the old stuff....XLR input anyone?

Good luck to any future developments, I'd love to see the original concept (studio preamp with PA power) brought up to date with lighter cab design and better drivers..

[quote name='VTypeV4' timestamp='1412264812' post='2567318']
I would like to think it'll be somewhat of an improvement over the Superfly..

Not an awful amplifer to be fair but maybe just a liittle ahead of it's time with regards to its power-stage..?
[/quote]

It would be nice to see the Superfly preamp section brought back.

• 2 months later...

The Superfly had some great tones in it and was a great concept but mine used to cut out all the time! Best ever DI'd sound I heard through the PA was my Superfly, shame they weren't more reliable and had a conventional power output........

My first [i]proper[/i] amp was an AH150 into an 1153 cab - brilliant (particularly as I was playing a 5 at the time). Plenty of low end with just enough sparkle up the top to cut through. I then augmented the rig with a 2103H which (as far as I remember) didn't really add that much tonally. Shortly after I got an Ampeg SVP PRO and just ran through that into the 'power amp in' on the TE head.

Nice.

I've now got an SWR SM400 (modified) that is just the [i]balls[/i].

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1401108609' post='2460091']
I loved mine, excellent bits of kit which made the right noises but as you say "heavy"...if somebody could produce the same range of tones in a lightweight package they'd get my money.
[/quote]

Ditto. I've never found any gear I like half as much as my old Trace gear, just can't use it anymore because of the weight.

[quote name='grenadilla' timestamp='1401193221' post='2460957']
Were the original Trace Elliot cabinets made of MDF ? That stuff is heavier than plywood. They may use a poplar-birch blend plywood now. Does anyone know for certain? Is it 3/4" or thinner ? How does it compare to the Ashdown ABM cabinets ? I like Ashdown.
[/quote]

The original Trace cab I had (black painted, no covering) was very much wood. i think the next lot (early mark King) were too. I think they went to MDF later on.

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1409821061' post='2543579']
They were amps that sounded great on their own but walk down the room and very little audible bass got down the room unless you turned them up to loud.
What sounds good on stage on its own, never sounds good out front in a band for some reason.
The less EQ and knobs amps have the better the band sound to me.
Look at things like Mark bass, plug it in, turn it up and they sound the knees without messing with anything.
Slightly wooly valve tone from the off , but in a band situation it fills the sound right out, just wish I could afford one.
Tried a TC bg500 and it sounded very trace to me, great on stage, pants out front.

[/quote]

I guess it all depends what you're putting into it and trying to get out of it. I know how to use Markbass but have never managed to get it sounding good for what I want. Back in the day I used to backline frequently with Trace and was always clear as a bell - and powerful - in the room. I always eq heavily though and mainly play with a pick; think a slightly more mellow Jon Camp. I'd sooner eq heavily to get the sound I want (Trace) than simply be unable to get a sound I want at all (most other stuff).

I provided backline for a Jam night earlier this week, a Series 6 GP12 AH-200 and a Berg AE210.
What a fantastic combination ! I don't think the head got above 3 all night with no PA support. To my ears the tone out of that combo was fantastic. It had a punch and fullness to every note and it was a pleasure to be sat out front having a listen for a change.
The other bonus, the green lettering on the Bergie Cab is a great match for the Trace, they were made for each other.
B)

I had a TE AH350 head back in the day. Great piece of kit and Trace were excellent when it needed repair. I took it to them, left it with them and had lunch in a local pub and collected it fixed (and for a very reasonable charge - was well outside guarantee) a couple of hours later. Need it for a gig, so had to get it done in a hurry. Using an EBS these days, which reminds me of my old Trace in many ways - clean, pokey and fuss free (and a lot easier to carry...). Hope Trace do well with their new kit.

• 1 year later...

[quote name='witterth' timestamp='1411490531' post='2560021']
I used to have a GP11 500w (stereo) head, well I still do. but that was bought (2nd hand for me, by sony uk ) as That band I was in, at the time, had a record deal and toured quite a lot. It powered a 2x10 (hi pass) cab and a monster 2x18 monster. it was the biggest ,best and most powerful sound I have ever heard!! it was all flight cased too so was only ever moved around by road crew at the time, so I loved it!! when the band came to a close I ended up stuck with it, when ever I did other gigs I had to borrow a van to shift it all about, so it became impractical to keep. I sold the cases for a tidy profit kept the 2x10 hi pass cab and gave away the 2x18 cab to a young enthusiastic basschatter who came up to the north west from bath to collect it, he was very excited and couldn't believe his luck. but it was a karma thing and was happy he was so pleased ( bet he doesn't have it any more!!) it was the most monster Bass sound ever and everyone should have the opportunity to have something like that, fantastic but impractical. I love trace gear and still trawl around here for old school cabs (4x10s 1x15 ect) love that sound it dates me but what odds who doesn't still love to see that Green uv glow on a dark stage? well, I do.
[/quote]

Sorry to resurrect a very old thread but just saw this and wanted to say that I was the enthusiastic Bath based bassist who collected Witterth's 2x18 trace elliot cab. I do still have it - Here is the most recent version of it!

[URL=http://s298.photobucket.com/user/mattjones_81/media/doom%20rig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm265/mattjones_81/doom%20rig.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

It has been around the country with me, played many gigs, been used in recording of two albums and been a reliable monster of a cab.

Would also like to say a big public THANK YOU to Witterth for his incredibly generous act of letting me have the cab - it really helped me further my playing and experience at a time when I had no money and needed help. I hope one day in the future to pass it on to someone else who could use it one day!

In August this year, I was looking to replace the Peavey Mini Max head I had bought. I spotted a TE AH 600 7 band on Thomman for £280 down from £1100 odd!! It seemed like too good a deal to be true so I bought it. It came with a cover and a four way footswitch that was as heavy as the Peavey head it replaced!

I don`t know if it was old stock or the last of the line but for the price, it was a no brainer.

I have never used TE gear before but I have played a few gigs with it now and the drummer says he can feel the bass as well as hearing it. I`m still not sure of the best way to set it up, pre shape, graphic etc but apart from the weight, it is a great bit of kit. And it looks cool with the green light.

In 1985, I sold all of the premium bonds my parents had accumulated for me over the previous twenty years-much to my mothers disgust- and bought a TE AH150 with a TE 810 cab from Livewire in Cardiff. It is still, hands down, effortlessly the best rig I have ever owned and I've since spent a small fortune trying to recapture that sound.

Back in the day a bass amp/cab/ combo was a Trace. A few other brands would come and go but for quite a while it was Trace Elliot. I think I used to just get on with it a lot more back then. You plug it in, sort of a seagull/ double hump with a drop in the middle bit on the graphic and that was it 9/10.
I didnt complain about the weight because there wasn't really anything readily accessable to compare it with. Kinda what you dont know sort of thing. All retailers had it in stock cause it sold really well.
Then Hartke turned up out of nowhere on mass with their Transporter cabs and shiny must have cones. And that I think was the beginning of the end......