Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot - what happened to you?

Marvin

Once upon a time it was the gear to aspire to own, it was everywhere. Now...just another player.

Fashions and fads aside, they just seem to be chucking out, heavy and expensive gear. now..that no one wants? No innovation etc.

I'm surprised they're still going to be honest.

Didn't they already go out of business once, before Peavey brought the name back?

That being the case, maybe Peavey are just trying to sell it on name alone and putting most of their effort into Peavey branded gear?

It must still sell otherwise they'd surely have ditched it by now.

There have not been any new products since the Acoustic line came out a few years ago. In terms of bass gear, there have not been any new products since the original Peavey relaunch. It is a bit disappointing. You'd think that a class D version of the classic Trace preamp would sell okay. Trace Elliot seem to gone the same way as SWR and Eden, former giants who now seem a bit old fashioned and outdated, even though their gear is still generally good gear.

I have only tried the new amps a couple of times and they seemed nice but seemed to lack the authority of the older SMX and Series 6 lines. I like the new cabs though, which are so much lighter than the old ones.

Agree, Most bass players here were proud of this British racing green company. But as soon as their return was anounced and i went to see the range of amps at a show some years back. I thought cheap plasticy knobs and graphic and back lights were not going to entise me back. I Think the original spec, build quality and weight would sell better than current models, but maybe the light weight market has now moved us all to a new place.

I used Trace gear happily back in the early 80s, but yesterday we were second on as part of a local festival and was expected to used a TE head and cab which had sounded so weak during the first set, I was glad I had bought my own rig...which was then in use by the next lot on as well.

I was on the Peavey website looking at the Rudy Sarzo signature bass and watched their promo video recorded in a room full of Peavey bass amps and cabinets, at around 3 minutes in he turns around to his amp he is playing through and it's a Trace Elliot TA100, there's then a full on shot at 3 minutes 10 seconds......maybe product placement or the best amp they could find for him to play through !

Here's a link to the page:-

http://peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/777/118340/RudySarzoSignatureCirrus

Edited by BanditSid

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1401107536' post='2460073']
Still seems to be a lot of love for Trace 2nd hand, particularly for the valve amps and specific cabs...

[size=4]Is that yourself in your profile pic, btw?? :)[/size]
[/quote]

2nd hand yes, definitely. When you come to people recommending gear though the new TE stuff never gets a mention.

I think they've just been left behind. It still looks well made, but it's a hefty price for dated and heavy gear.

And yes, that's me in the profile pic :)

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1401124606' post='2460322']
I think they've just been left behind. It still looks well made, but it's a hefty price for dated and heavy gear.
[/quote]

[size=4]It is, and people have been moving towards lighter gear for some time.[/size]
[size=4]I have light [/size][i]and[/i][size=4] heavy though, so I'll always be fashionable. ;)[/size]

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1401126746' post='2460358']
I'm still waiting for Oxford Bags to come back into fashion, my wardrobe is burst to brimming with them :/
[/quote]

:lol:[size=4] I've got some of those woollen tank tops with three stars on the front and shirts with 'f*ck-off' collars.[/size]

Edited by discreet

TE were the most capable for many for a while but were outclassed by SWR and Eden by the late 80's.
Things move on and altho old SWR and Eden gear is still decent, there are other considerations today
and the TE cabs were underpowered and heavy. TE had also lost out on the valve pre amp stage by
that time as well.

I've been waiting for a new line of Trace suff for a while now. There was a bit of a hoo-har when they had their re-launch back in '05 as I recall but there doesn't look to be anything due. I do think a new 'lightweight' version of the existing 7 and 12 band series would be a winner for the brand. A face lift for the existing range would probably be good too.

I've tried the new stuff and whilst it does 'the sound' and many others, it's loud and the new cabs do sound better I'm not a fan of those sticky out plastic graphic sliders. Maybe it's something they could address in a new line?

Personally, I'm happiest with the SMX range with the 400 being the best of the bunch IME although the SMC 7-band with compressor is pretty slick too. The TwinValve combo is wicked but it weighs 8000 tonnes and is probably massively unfashionable because of it. 115w / ~30 Kg vs something like a MarkBass combo which weighs less than 20kg and does 500+ watts.

I've always loved TE gear as it's always done the sound I like and seems to 'come with me' wherever and whatever I'm doing. I do hope the company moves forward and doesn't stagnate like some of the others mentioned above. Come on Peavey, help the boys in green out.. :rolleyes:

I used to really like my old TE rigs. I had several different combinations including all valve, combos and separates.

I still quite miss them but the weight would put me off these days.

Really out of fashion now and have been dubbed 'try selling it' by retailers :(

Edited by molan

In the last 4 years I've only seen one new Trace Elliot amp being used live, by Godflesh, and I think I've seen close to 400 bands in that time.
I remember when it was an exception to not see a TE rig on stage.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1401188138' post='2460877']
Thank god for lightweight gear. Don't miss mine tbh
[/quote]

Agreed, but I do miss mine. When I'm feeling strong I'll use my heavier rig - prefer the sound of it!
But mostly I'm an old, decrepit weakling who has no business appearing in public. :D

I saw a young pop-metal type band using new Trace gear in a large rugby social club function room. It sounded really good and so loud I had to go outside. The PA was vocals only... I don't know what their most powerful head is but that MUST have been it!

I miss the tone and sheer power, plus mine was ultra reliable once TE sent me some new fuses.

Mine was a GP12400SMX, in the heavy wooden case covered in green carpet. I gigged the hell out of it.

I sold it a few years back (well, probably more than a few) to go lightweight as I wanted a full tube amp (Orange) and used the TE funds to go towards a modern lightweight amp.

The only thing I wasn't keen on was the weight. I mean, I can understand some weight, but that was so difficult to carry it was unreal. I scuffed my hands a few times and when I almost fell over with it when getting out the car after a late gig, I knew enough was enough.

I also wasn't happy that it turned up on an angle in its headcase. I think the retailer purchased the last UK built amps (may have been ex demo?) and sold them cheap. My dad's friend put it straight in the case as he is a carpenter...seems the weight of the amps was too much for the small wooden 'ears' inside to hold onto it straight!

Fond memories though. I didn't swap and sell amps back then a lot...and it was nice to be happy with it!

Were the original Trace Elliot cabinets made of MDF ? That stuff is heavier than plywood. They may use a poplar-birch blend plywood now. Does anyone know for certain? Is it 3/4" or thinner ? How does it compare to the Ashdown ABM cabinets ? I like Ashdown.

Well things move on and they essentially have not.

They were the in thing in the early 90's, but they are old hat now. I have used the latest offerings. The essential characteristics on the old SMX and series 6. Was their big dynamic range and punch. Which has not been carried over to the new stuff. IMAO its wimpy compared to the older stuff. People that were using their stuff have moved on. SWR, Eden, GK took the idea and took it forward. Ashdown have taken a lot of the established users as well. I think their stuff, with celestian drivers. Which is probably what artists get. Is pretty decent. Its sad, but not the only good amp brand that has gone to the wall recently, names like Genz for example. Its a small industry with a small budget........... Room has to be made.